Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #21
JimKrieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27179
Don't have these on my trailer yet, but the ST235/85/R16 Goodyear Endurance should fit your wheel width, will be only ½" closer to the top of your wheel well (the 85), is made by one of the casually considered top three tire brands in the world and although an E load rating, has the highest load "index," 125 (14552 GVWR) for these top manufacturers. Further, use of a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) will alert you to low pressure and heat buildup, the suspected cause of the largest percentage of tire failures.

JimKrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #22
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Tires

I love this owners forum and I'm proud to be a part of it.

1. Invest in a TPMS system. There are several on the market.

As mentioned by members, TPMS has been proven to help to prevent blow outs. It also has proven to prolong tire wear, as you watch the temperature and pressure.

2. Be careful installing higher rated tires than the axle are designed for.

Why? Our great members have also made correct comments on this. This higher capacity tires will cause a very rigid ride for your camper. Shaking things loose. You wouldn't put semi tires on your truck.

Tires are a challenge in the RV industry. It's similar to the mattress quandary..... everyone has an opinion, but it's up to your feel.

Good luck and thank you for being part of the Montana family.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #23
SandyRV
Established Member

M.O.C. #27374
I'm following this conversation because we just bought a 2021 Montana HC 377fl that has Ranier Range F 95psi tires on 8 lug wheels.
SandyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #24
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIrish7 View Post
Receiving our new Montana HC 281CK in Feb 2021. First time 5th wheel owner.
Should I have these tires changed out before I pick up our new 5th wheel? And drive home?

If so. What are the best tires to get for this 5th wheel?

Appreciate the advice.
Happy Thanksgiving
I agree, your first purchase should be a TPMS system. If you keep your OEM Tires you will want that system to hopefully warn you before a blow out. Get the type that you can fill your tires without having to take your sensors off. F rated tires are probably just fine, but may be near top of your load range. You don’t want LT ( light truck) tires as they have a softer side wall than an ST tire, which you want with a trailer tire. Yes, a G rated tire will definitely give you plenty of capacity and a stiffer ride. I went from an E rated tire to G rated Sailuns. My E rated tires were definitely under rated for my 2018 Monty., and was a year before the industry was forced to upgrade their tire ratings. I had a tire loose the tread and I was really lucky it only did minimal damage I was able to fix myself. I found some cracking on the other tires so I dumped them as soon as I could. Just make sure you watch your tire pressure, and how much weight you add to your rig. All of these ratings are based on EMPTY trailers. You could easily add 1000 lbs or more with all your “stuff” plus how much water you carry (8 lbs. per gallon). Once you are loaded up go to the CAT scales and weigh your Monty fully loaded, then you will have a better idea of how much reserve capacity your tires have. You might then decide to go to a G rated tire. Safe travels!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #25
jhholmes7

M.O.C. #26366
We had a 43’ DRV Mobile Suites Manhattan that had 6 independently suspended wheels, not 3 axels. The center “pair” were always a problem even though we weighed individual pairs and the factory said everything sounded good.
jhholmes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #26
SEC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27610
Whatever tire you choose invest in a TPMS and compressor. Most problems come from improper inflation
SEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #27
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Our 2020 330RL had the "F" rated tires from the factory when new. After reading all of the horror stories, the only miles that we put on them were from our dealer to our driveway. Then. Sailun 637 G rated went on. I feel more secure with them on, but security is a personal feeling. I just feel as if I have minimized something that at this time, I can. Time will tell if it is correct.
Simpletire,com had them at a good price and I was able to sell the "F" rated ones on marketplace. Money well spent in my opinion.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #28
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
After 2 seasons and 9K miles, our F range Raniers still look like new. No uneven tread wear, no separation, no signs of wearing. I recently dropped our spare just to compare. If not for the little rubber ribs/tits on the spare, I could visually tell no difference. They hold air in storage as well or better than any tire I've owned.

Still, based on past experience with many other china made ST tires, I feel as if I've pushed my luck. I wish I had the choice of an F range tire made in the USA.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #29
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIrish7 View Post
Receiving our new Montana HC 281CK in Feb 2021. First time 5th wheel owner.
Should I have these tires changed out before I pick up our new 5th wheel? And drive home?

If so. What are the best tires to get for this 5th wheel?

Appreciate the advice.
Happy Thanksgiving
If they are ST235/80R16 LRF, why would you want to change them? They will provide 25% in load capacity reserves, that's 15% above the RVIA recommendation.

Brands are a personal choice and not an indicator of how they will perform for you.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #30
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
If they are ST235/80R16 LRF, why would you want to change them? They will provide 25% in load capacity reserves, that's 15% above the RVIA recommendation.

Brands are a personal choice and not an indicator of how they will perform for you.
I agree, however, this is based on EMPTY trailer weights. Once they have all their “stuff”, plus water, they need to weigh in at the CAT scales and then determine how much load capacity they have left. If you max out or, overload your trailer, you can have issues without enough reserve capacity. At that point you can decide if you want to change tires to a higher load range.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #31
dmheil
Established Member

M.O.C. #25012
So with about 5600 miles on my Ranier Load Range F tires, I had an explosive destruction happen yesterday while traveling at 63 MPH on Interstate 10 near Biloxi, Mississippi. I was fortunate enough to be near an exit and I limped off the exit and again fortunate enough to have Southern Tire right there at the exit. Two hours later I was back on the road with a load range G tire on in it's place. All four will be replaced soon.
Attached Images

Laurel Hill, Florida
dmheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #32
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmheil View Post
So with about 5600 miles on my Ranier Load Range F tires, I had an explosive destruction happen yesterday while traveling at 63 MPH on Interstate 10 near Biloxi, Mississippi. I was fortunate enough to be near an exit and I limped off the exit and again fortunate enough to have Southern Tire right there at the exit. Two hours later I was back on the road with a load range G tire on in it's place. All four will be replaced soon.

Wow! I guess if your going to have a blowout, you couldn't have been in a better place. Hope no other damage to trailer was done.

You're making my decision to change mine out much easier.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #33
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I agree, however, this is based on EMPTY trailer weights. Once they have all their “stuff”, plus water, they need to weigh in at the CAT scales and then determine how much load capacity they have left. If you max out or, overload your trailer, you can have issues without enough reserve capacity. At that point you can decide if you want to change tires to a higher load range.
Tire load capacity for RV trailers is determined by the trailer's certified GAWRs.

A trailer with 6000# certified axles MUST have tires capable of supporting that GAWR. Everything above that is reserve load capacity.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #34
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Tire load capacity for RV trailers is determined by the trailer's certified GAWRs.

A trailer with 6000# certified axles MUST have tires capable of supporting that GAWR. Everything above that is reserve load capacity.
Cal you are getting soft. That is the shortest answer you have posted on a tire thread.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #35
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Cal you are getting soft. That is the shortest answer you have posted on a tire thread.
Just trying to keep it simple. I could have gone directly to the particular FMVSS standard and quoted the minimum standard. Once that is done it opens the door to more explanations.

I've already given the standard for minimum tire load capacity for RV trailers above. FMVSS instructs the vehicle manufacturer in how they must provide the appropriate tires for each fitment. This is an excerpt from FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S5.3.1 Tires. The size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load ratings of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.

The above information is going to be displayed on the vehicle certification label. The entire tire manufacturing/vehicle manufacturing industries accept that final certified fitment to be the minimum load capacity standard for that vehicle.