Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbored View Post
I quit jacking and started using my leveling boards (carry 6, 2x8 x16”). Stagger them for easy run up of the still inflated tire after loosening the lugs slightly on the flat. Then finish running the good tire up until the flat clears the ground. Swap out spare and reverse procedure. A lot safer, quicker and easier. 1/2” inch impact wrench is priceless.

Thanks for the info, what torque setting did you use Billbored ?

Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #22
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Did not read every post here, but last time I needed tires, no one could figure out how to get any jack under anything that would lift the trailer high enough for any tire to clear the ground. And I was NOT going to let anyone put a jack under the axle. I've heard too many horror stories about people doing this and bending the axle.

We ended up using 2 large hydraulic floor jacks, one under each of the leveling system jacks and raised the trailer then. Once high enough, put stationary jacks under the frame in several places. Worked like a champ.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #23
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Have always put the jack under U-bolts when lifting trailer off the ground for wheel bearing greasing and spinning tires. Our trailer will sit till late spring since we won't be going down to Arizona this year. Last used late September.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #24
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbored View Post
I quit jacking and started using my leveling boards (carry 6, 2x8 x16”). Stagger them for easy run up of the still inflated tire after loosening the lugs slightly on the flat. Then finish running the good tire up until the flat clears the ground. Swap out spare and reverse procedure. A lot safer, quicker and easier. 1/2” inch impact wrench is priceless.
Won't you be putting double the weight on the remaining good tire? I'm not sure if this matters if it's just standing still, maybe it's only bad for it if it was running down the road with that weight. What's your opinion?
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:27 AM   #25
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Won't you be putting double the weight on the remaining good tire? I'm not sure if this matters if it's just standing still, maybe it's only bad for it if it was running down the road with that weight. What's your opinion?
Yes, but the one good tire would have all the weight of that side whether the trailer was raised or not, if the other tire were flat. It can handle it sitting still for some time, but I wouldn't go down the road like that.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:43 AM   #26
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I understand that Keystone/Dexter need to print a CYA in their owner's manual to prevent owners from jacking on the axle mid span. What I don't understand is why they don't say that jacking at the U-bolts wont be a non destructive way.

I cannot envision trying to jack a trailer alongside, i.e. I-95 at 5:00PM near Richmond using a frame point or even the leveling system (which ours does not have). That U-bolt area is designed to carry a significant load, both static and dynamic. Jacking it at the U-bolts will never match the dynamic loads placed at that point and normal travel on our "shovel ready" highways.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:34 AM   #27
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
Mr. Mustang , Falcon: torque setting- tight(finished off with half inch breaker bar. With regard to weight on one tire. It’s already survived the stress of the blowout of the other tire. At least all mine have.
The last one was at five PM on I95 S downtown Jacksonville. Boom, traffic behind us parted like the Red Sea and we pulled to shoulder. My wife and I had the job done and back on the road in under 20 minutes. At the Goodyear store the guy explained that regardless of the quality of the tire, if it looses pressure it will begin to heat and eventually self-destruct. Make sense? Next purchase was a tire pressure/temperature monitoring system. Keeps you posted on what’s going on with your tires.
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #28
denhammkc
Established Member

M.O.C. #18294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff & Gail View Post
Dexter (axle manufactor)' told me to not jack with the axle or spring or allow anyone to do that. They recommend jacking using the frame to lift the trailer. If I was changing a tire or doing maintance I would lift using the leveling jacks on that side. Dexter just replaced two of my axles with their new (upgraded)'axles. Still cost over $1000. To get installed with no help from Keystone.
What are the NEW Dexter(upgraded) axles?
I am wanting to put 4k springs and 8K axles on in the spring.( for added safety margin)
2011 RAM / airbags / Anderson Ult. hitch / 2017 Montana 3721RL/Disc brakes, oil-bath Timkin bearings, shocks, X-factor/Tank-less water heater and built in water softener/Barker auto drain valves/4x100 amp Battle born/Go-power 3000 whole rig inverter/all LED running lights and a lot more.
denhammkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #29
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Lipert/LCI are the OEM manufacturers of the level-up systems (both hydraulic and electric) they DO NOT recommend using them for changing tires but if you do they recommend using a jack stand or equivalent to put under the frame incase the system fails. I am guilty of using them when changing a tire but I do stack several 6x6 under the frame for a safety measure. You can jack on the axle BUT do not put it on the tube itself and use the U-bolt bracket to place your jack! You CAN bend the axle and throw it out of alignment and bend the axle by jacking on the tube itself.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #30
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Quote:
Originally Posted by denhammkc View Post
What are the NEW Dexter(upgraded) axles?
I am wanting to put 4k springs and 8K axles on in the spring.( for added safety margin)
Dexter has changed their 7000 lbs axles to a heavier sidewall that helps prevent issues they had with camber. This is what I got from Dexter.
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #31
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra13 View Post
Spring rides on the axle tube, don’t think a jack is going to bend the axle tube.
A jack WILL collapse an axle tube!

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #32
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
A jack WILL collapse an axle tube!

Mark
two different keystone dealers jacked my trailer very near the u-bolts but not on them.

and a third mechanic who came from CW in north charleston told me they jack
there all the time....

so now who do you believe.....

as long as you are not a foot or so away from the tire..the axle will be fine INMHO
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote