Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #21
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitty View Post
I did exactly what you are asking about. I love the air ride pin box. There was no flexair for my bolt pattern. Got the longer pin box. I will never get another trailer without the airride.
I also installed shocks on the axles.
have you checked to see if the longer AirRide increased your pin weight on the truck bed

what was your before and after model numbers on the pin boxes.

(my 155943 airride is being delivered 12/8 )

ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #22
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVownerforever View Post
Have you ever thought of changing out the hitch versus the pin box. Wanted air ride comfort and decided to change hitch instead so if I ever got another 5’er I could have the same ride.
Don't know RVownerforever's configuration but this is my opinion

with short truck beds..you need a hitch that will slide back automatically giving clearance to the truck window glass and the trailer's front.

Pros... PullRite Super glide does it automatically

Con....one Heavy mother....If i want to disconnect i have to remove top unit to take some of the weight off and then winch off the rest...(hitch is about 260 lbs).

some of you guys might be able to lift the remaining hitch part..... but Chemo destroyed my shoulder and those days are gone
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #23
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
My solution to a heavy auto slide hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
Don't know RVownerforever's configuration but this is my opinion

with short truck beds..you need a hitch that will slide back automatically giving clearance to the truck window glass and the trailer's front.

Pros... PullRite Super glide does it automatically

Con....one Heavy mother....If i want to disconnect i have to remove top unit to take some of the weight off and then winch off the rest...(hitch is about 260 lbs).

some of you guys might be able to lift the remaining hitch part..... but Chemo destroyed my shoulder and those days are gone
So I pulled my hitch once before I knew I needed a better solution! 1000 lb cart from Harbor Freight went high enough to reach the tailgate. I needed the cart to unload a refrigerator, and after that ordeal, I made a hitch stand out of 1/8 steel with 2x4 skids. Now I can easily set down the stand with the hitch still on top to use my cart. When done I push the cart back under the stand. I still have to man handle the thing in the bed, but no heavy lifting up and down from the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB038682-F5A8-47AC-A18D-3D2620CDBE48.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	7944   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A080E36-16CD-4659-9CFE-E2031B87B526.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	7945   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB3AB74B-405A-476C-A048-AA9B745BC7C0.jpg
Views:	35