Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
BLACK TANK SENSORS working again -Here's how

My Background--30 years commercial detergent manufacturing and sales , including commercial dish washing and laundry machines.

My sensors for the black tank ,as you are all aware suck...When the tank was empty they ALL still read FULL.

Here's what i did ....

For the last 3 Tank Dumps i added besides the regular toilet tabs...about
1/2 cup of Tide High Efficiency Laundry Detergent . (Only cause my commercial detergent was unavailable on my trip )

Then before traveling to my next stop (about 5 hours).
1....added 1 1/2 minutes of Flush Water to my Closed Black Tank
2....added 1 regular toilet tab
3...added 3/4 cup tide HE-detergent.

DO NOT ADD ANY DETERGENT THAT IS NOT BRANDED "HE" meaning high efficiency .

The detergents are really NOT high efficiency .

They are made specifically for side loading laundry machines that would normally generate lots of suds. These detergents are LOW SUDS and will not foam in the tank.

So as you drive and splash the water the "SURFACTANT" in the laundry detergent will penetrate the SCUM on the sensors and clean them up.

The role of a Surfactant is to reduce the surface tension of water so it will penetrate surfaces that hold the water back...

Example:.... When it rains..the water bubbles up on the hood of your car. Add a tiny bit of surfactant and the water's reduced surface tension will cause it to flatten out and sheet off the car .

The laundry detergent is slightly "alkaline" and that also helps brake down the poop. To boost the alkalinity you could add 1/4 cup of Electric dish washing detergent (also low sudsing )
Attached Images

ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote