Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
J-KB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13875
Cloverdale KOA

Has anyone stayed at the Cloverdale KOA in California, any reviews would be welcome, we have read the road to it from the 101 can be a nightmare.

J-KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We have not stayed there as our daughter lives north of there in Ukiah and when in the area we stay at the Fairgrounds in Ukiah. Have you looked into the Fairgrounds in Cloverdale as they have about 30 sites.. I am going to drive by there about next Tuesday as I am going into Santa Rosa to have fuel filter and oil changed and could do a drive by to look..
Old 05-01-2015, 02:28 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have stayed at much worse, but would not stay there again. Isolated, and the roads in are narrow and tight, and so is the campground itself. Many of the sites are non-starters for anything over 30 feet. Drive in and out is not fun. 20-30 minutes from the highway to the campground itself. Roads suck. OK for small rigs, but not for us. Whatever you do, don't attempt to get there in the dark.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:04 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We have stayed there several times and in fact, we used to live in Cloverdale. The road into the campground isn't great but not very long and certainly doable. There are 2 routes in, one through Cloverdale, the second is a summer only access road that is south near Asti. I have only used the one through Cloverdale. Road is through the vineyards and becomes narrow for a few miles. The access road to the camp ground is steep but not too long. If it was the area that you were interested in, I wouldn't let the road discourage me.

As far as the campground, it's a typical KOA with a lot of kid activities and amenities both of which they charge for! They have a fishing pond as well as other things for the youngsters. They do have a sites for larger RV's. The big negative is that it is pricey. However, for the area there are not many other choices. PM me if you need/want more info. We live about 20 minutes south.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
I second Ken's comments. I would only add that the drive from the freeway to the campground is beautiful through the vineyards. It's an extra treat to be there around the first of October when you not only experience the beautiful colors....but also the fragrance of 'crush!'
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We drove River Road part way out to the KOA this morning and the only thing I can see that would be a problem is the low hanging branches. It is not that they are small branches but some including the first one you come to as you get on river road is 4"+ in diameter. I was driving the truck without the trailer and the wife asked me if I would pull our trailer under these branches and I said no. I have to much invested in my solar panels to take a chance. Another reason why would be there is a KOA at the end of the road.... Sorry but I am not a fan of KOA... They are geared for kids and families but are so expensive that a young family wanting to take the kids camping for a weekend can not afford to go.