Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
rono
Established Member

M.O.C. #6606
A question about slide awnings.

Those of you with slide awnings, where is the best place - brands - price etc... and did you put them on yourself or have it done?
After reading alot here about them I think I would like to have them on my 3500rl and was wondering the above questions. How hard to install etc...
Thanks, Ron

rono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Ron, ours were put on by our dealer when we picked up the Montana. I think they were A&E slide toppers. We did order a window awning from a nearby dealer and got it cheaper than CW prices and the dealer we purchased the Montana off of. So you might want to check around for prices.
Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
First Montana - dealer installed.

Second Montana - ordered from Keystone and Keystone installed.

Third Montana - ordered from Keystone, they forgot, dealer ordered and installed.

I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult. Properly aligning the material to attach to the rig might be the more difficult part. Otherwise it will roll crooked and might damage the fabric(?). There is a slotted strip you put on the rig. The awning material slides into that, horizontally. I would think you could experiment with rolling it up and adjusting position of the material until you get it right. Once correct, there is a screw through the material on each end to hold it in place.

I assume the awning comes already pre-wound so you don't have to mess with the spring pressure adjustment. Otherwise I'd definitely leave it to the dealer or CW. You can break an arm if you don't know what you're doing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I would also be interested in finding out what brand is the best and installation costs. Our awnings on our 03 are in shreds and all need replaced.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
5er, we are picking up our new awnings this morning. They lasted almost 3 years, including exposure to the strong winds in south Texas. It was easy for Glen to get them off. He put a screwdriver in the mechanism so that they wouldn't roll up when disconnected and just slid the material out. They were taken to the awning company to be used as a pattern.

We are replacing them with material that is guaranteed for 5 years and the awnings were made by an awning company for $550.00. Our mechanisms were still working well. Now the trick will be to get them reinserted but it doesn't seem to be too hard.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, would appreciate hearing how it goes when installing. For future reference.

Ron, most of the toppers I see are the A&E, which is what Keystone installs. Also available at rv dealers, Camping World, etc. But I think I like the looks of the Carefree of Colorado toppers better. I think dealers and CW also carry those or can get them. I'm not sure whether there is any functional difference. Or price difference.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I would be interested on how the installing goes as well.I would like to remove to clean the underside.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I installed my own slide awnings on both my Montanas. It really isn't too difficult, it's a two person job, you'll need access to two 8' step ladders or equivilent, and there is some drilling into the side of your fiver. Some people have an issue with drilling into their units ... drill a pilot hole, dab silicone sealant in and around the hole, install the fastner, done deal. I had Carefree awnings on one and A&E awnings on the other fiver. They seemed equal in quality, but I thought the Carefree bracketry was a little easier to install. They both come pretensioned from the factory ... after you get them attached to your fiver, you simply pull a couple of cotter pins on the tube to release the spring tension. Keep the cotter pins as you may need them to lock the spring tension down the road if the need to replace the fabric arises. They have a model out now that is both a slide topper and a window shade just FYI. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/ and http://www.rvawningsonline.com/produ...egory.php?c=84 are two places I've bought from. Freight prices have gone up since I purchased mine a couple of years ago ... there are undoubtedly others out there to choose from.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
First of all, our slide toppers are made by Dometic. How's that for a surprise.

Glen barely got started installing the bedroom topper when a very nice man from one of the park models came over with his ten foot step ladder and proceded to help him install all three toppers. They slid in quite easily with only a few snags along the way and they look GOOD! I think they could easily be removed for cleaning.

When we had these awnings made, the man at the awning company wanted to put 'rope' in the ends that go in the tracks. Glen refused this and opted for the hard rubber cording. We're sure glad he did as the rubber cording is much more stiff and easier to push through the grooves than any rope would be. They were able to just push the toppers into the grooves while standing on the ladder. It would be good to have someone spot the person on the ladder when they're inserting the topper for the bedroom slide as he is pretty high for that one. All in all, it was pretty easy and they look great. Oh, did I say they look good?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
I want to see pictures..... My next coach will have slide awnings on it!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Judy - is your new material Acrylic? From what I understand the upgrade to vinyl is acrylic which is supposed to last longer. BTW Dometic is the parent company of A&E.

Ron,

Camping World carries A&E, but I believe they are exclusive to A&E. A&E even produces awnings exclusive to CW, such as the Power Awning 9100, not available anywhere else.

I had to go to an RV Dealer this afternoon to see the Carefree and A&E products side by side. Carefree is more expensive, but seems to have heavier hardware. I think the awning material is identical between the two companies, both offering vinyl, acrylic, and fabric. Carefree has some innovative ideas for slide toppers, including a center bar that keeps the awning at a peak to avoid water collection, and toppers that operate independantly of the slide so you can retract them. I have no idea what the costs are for these.

I believe either companies product serves the purpose well.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Brad, the fabric was very similar to what was replaced, reinforced vinyl. We could have gotten them in a wide range of colors but chose the off white that we had before.

Dave, the pictures would look like any old slide toppers as they rolled up into the same position of those that they replaced.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would have gone with white (off white) too Judy, they look nice.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nice job. Now, in a few years when ours need to be replaced...
Old 02-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I just bought two A&E Deluxe Slide toppers for my trailer...sitting in the garage waiting for spring 'cause its like 20 degrees out there now.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote