Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
K.I.S.S.

... or "Keep It Simple, Stupid." In our modern world of electronic gadgets and do-dads and a tool-for-every-purpose mentality, sometimes a KISS solution is right under our nose , if only we'd look for it. Well, that got me to thinking that maybe we all have KISS ideas that are so simple, we don't think they're worthy of sharing on the MOC.

So, in an attempt to bring some of those KISS solutions to light, and give everyone an opportunity to have a "V8 moment" (hopefully you'll know what that is), I thought I would start a thread to let everyone share their simple-but-it-works ideas.

I'll get the ball rolling with my most recent KISS solution ... you know how we all complain about the light coming in from the skylight when we're trying to sleep (and, if you know me, you know I'm not what you would call a "morning person")? Our problem is we both like to be able to look out the skylight when we're showering, so we don't want to cover it up. What I now do at night is open the wardrobe door (next to the bed) ... it blocks just enough light but doesn't require any cost or installation. I realize this particular solution will only work if you have the wardrobe next to the bed, but it gives you an idea of what I'm getting at by "KISS solutions."

I think we'd all like to hear some of the KISS ideas that are floating around out there among the membership. Just remember, we're looking for simple ... nothing elaborate or expensive or time-consuming to put in place.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Great idea Vicki, This is one of my catch phrases at work. Keep it simple, stupid. We are always looking for ways to improve things and modernize everything we do. At some point during almost everyone of these discussions it gets brought up. I'm also old enough to remember listening to the rock band KISS and seeing them live all dressed in black and white.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Great idea for a thread! I don't have any ideas that come to mind but I know in my case I tend to overa analyse things. It's easy to miss the simpliest solutions that often work the best.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I have to get up at 4:00AM a couple of days a week to open the store. I don't want to wake Karen but I need light to shave. I plug in the night light. It gives me just enough light so I don't cut my ugly mug and not so much light that it wakes Karen.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Oh! I coulda had a V8!!!! I like this idea also. Don't have any yet, but will post when I do. Come on folks, there are bound to be quite a few out there.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A very nice couple gave Sue and I a few ideas when we were just starting out, the bicycle spoke screen door opener, the Black paper in the cabinet windows to block the clutter, and the extra shelves from Wal*Mart in the food cabinets.......wait a minute, that was Steve nd Vicki!!!!
Thanks, Vicki, great idea for improvements.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
Heres one... I discovered one of my emergency escape windows was not closing tight enough to make a good seal.

After a bit of thought I took a business card folded in half, then stuck it between the long arm that secures the window shut and the opening it feeds through. This placed the business card in a pinch point forcing the window to close just a bit tighter.
Mike-n-Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Vickir,
I know what you mean about not being a morning person. We are not either. We have throught about all kinds of ways to dampen the light from the shower sky light and still have it when showering. Our best solution is to pull the solid doors between the bed and the shower area. Our 2005 2955rl still has those doors and I would not be without them. Unless Keystone can figure a way of putting those door back into production, I think I will keep our 2955rl for some time yet. I like the privacy they provide when we have company stay with us too!

Thanks for getting this topic off to a good start. I am sure there are lots of other KISS solutions out there!
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
It is hard to know sometimes if the things you do are known by others but I guess our newbies are ready to learn everything. So here is a few of mine:
Use rolls of TP and Paper Towels to fill in blank spots in cupboards to keep things from moving.
Put your bread, chips, rolls (anything soft) in the microwave for traveling. It keeps the plate from moving.
Use your oven for storage.
When traveling put a clean trash bag in the waste basket and put your coffee maker in there. If there is still some water in it, it doesn't matter.
You can hang pictures, etc. on your valances. Buy the clips that are made for fabric office dividers (they have a pin on the back). Doesn't hurt the valance and travels well.
That's it for now, I'll think of more.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Velcro strips for taming wires work well to keep the cabinet doors from opening when underway.
One-half of a wooden clothes pin makes a good little wedge to hold the escape window open to the desired distance in the bedroom.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I put the sink covers between the wall and stove to keep the splatters off the wall and that is a good place to "store" the covers when not traveling. I have also gotten a "back scratcher" to use so I can push that little thingy that locks the door for the stove fan vent easier. (I am about 1/2 inch too short) Beats finding a log, stone or stool to stand on.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
In the 12v light right over the bed, steve put in a blue light bulb which works as our night light. Not bright at all, but enough light to assist midnight trips to the bathroom. Works great.
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We seem to have a lot of high cabinets so we travel with one of those extendable grabbers (you squeeze one end and it grabs boxes or just about anything). You should have seen the granddaughters' eyes light up when they saw that thing!

And, how 'bout baskets? Baskets for all those electrical cords, socks, doggie toys, magazines, decorative items, any number of things.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #14
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Jan reminded me about back-scratchers! We have five ... they are great for reaching stuff in the upper cabinets, opening the super-cool vents on the a/c, opening/closing the stove vent as Jan mentioned ... so many functions, so little time! Not to mention, they also do a great job scratching backs. And all for only $1.00 each!!! And we keep one in the truck too ... you just never know!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:25 AM   #15
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Someone mentioned velcro. We always have some industrial strenght velcro on hand. One of the clips on our bedroom closet door broke and we were able to make a temporary fix by putting a strip 2" near top and same near bottom. This held perfectly while traveling. Then when we reached destination, we always reverse the doors because we don't want them to latch. We plan to buy new clips, but it is a great temporary fix. Velcro can work for all sorts of problems. Must give Steve and Betty(Steves)credit for this one.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #16
leev
Established Member

M.O.C. #6136
We use a sun shade that is made for cars. I cut it to size so that the shade covers the opening plus the trim around the opening and use velcro to keep it in place. Doesn't hurt it to get wet.
leev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
break toothpicks off in screw holes to tighten loose screws. adding wood glue to the hole before the toothpicks is an option.

clothespins on the downspouts to reduce black marks. The newer Montanas have longer downspouts and do not need this.

Plywood with furniture glides on the bottom makes a good substitute for the sliding tray in the basement storage area.

One block of wood under one wheel to raise that side of the coach half the distance.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My KISS is for the sewer hose. I have never used fancy stands or weights for my sewer hoses and I have never plugged one up in 30 years. I just hook up the hose to the sewer using the universal blue plastic screw fittings. I just lay the hose on the ground in as straight a line as I can get. Then I hold my foot on the hose and dump the grey tank. The weight of the water in the hose holds it in place.

On the morning we leave I close the greywater valve before we shower and wash the dishes so that there will be plenty of warm soapy water to rinse out the sewer hose.

I dump the blackwater first, then fill the toilet and flush to clear the blackwater valve. Then I close the blackwater valve, it's done. I dump the warm soapy grey water and let it drain. I close the grey water tank and disconnect the hose. I hold it high and slowly walk towards the sewer connection holding the hose high and allowing all the soap suds to drain into the sewer. Disconnect, all you ever see in the hose is some soap suds.

I see no need to go to the time and trouble of setting up a drain hose on a folding stand and using a weight to hold down the hose.

I keep a box of disposable rubber gloves in the sewer hose compartment to wear and discard.

I store my hose in a PVC pipe I installed under the front of my Montana.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #19
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
For the shower skylight we purchased one of the metal foil covers that is supposed to be for the window on the door - They are pretty much the same size and shape.
I put more velcro out a bit further than was already on the cover and put it up on the skylight. Comes out easily when you want to take a shower - yet blocks light, heat and cold when up. Really helps with the heat in the summer.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #20
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I used scraps of Plexiglas in the spice cabinet so when opening the door the spices won't fall out, after a trip. Also put some Plexiglas strips in the medicine cabinet shelves. You can see what is on the shelves through the Plexiglas. Now I am not scared to open the medicine cabinet, after being on the road.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote