Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Satelite TV Reception Recommendations

I recently purchased a 2007 Montana 3400RL that came with a 40" TV. The owners manual did not mention that it had an HD tuner. The campground we stay at is mostly treed and uses the Dish satellite system. Unless you have a HD tuner in your set, you have to rent a conversion box for $5.00 a day. Not a problem if only staying for a week or two but we usually stay for 9 weeks on and off. I am looking for recommendations on a satellite receiver that will function well in a treed area. Even if it costs around $800.00 installed it will pay for itself in a little over two years.

Thanks.

Neverhome

Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We use directv, but any system has to have unblocked LOS to the satellite for signal reception. Maybe you can relocate to a site in the park where a break in the trees will allow you to align a dish on the correct azimuth. We simply pull two receivors out of the house when on the road.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
if you can't see the bird you can't get reception.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
First, the terminology, it's not the receiver that helps with the reception. The receiver only interprets the signal being received by the proper satellite dish. It's a satellite dish that's reguired for reception.

I use a manual satellite dish on top of a base that keeps it steady. The hardest part is aiming that thing, in fact, sometimes it's such a bear that I consider finding that unblocked spot in the sky is the hardest thing I do in RVing, beyond leveling, backing or any other part of setting up, even worse than cleaning out the sewer tanks.

You can also spend $$$s on fancy automatic satellite dish setups, but I am cheap and don't like thinking that aiming a satellite dish will ever get the best of me so I've gotten pretty good at aiming the thing. Make sure you have all the right equipment, such as an HD (oblong) satellite dish, and I can only speak for DIRECTV in that you'll also need a special box inline to receive HD programming. (Note, AT&T now owns DirecTV and one of the first things done was that the name was changed to ALL capitals.)

As for the receiver, at last check it costs about $5 a month for a receiver that is HD capable per TV, more if HD is required unless you get some kind of lucky deal that throws in HD for free. I used to have Dish and they also offered, 2 TV ports and those receiver boxes were $10 a month.

Good luck with your solution.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I have Direct TV. I do not require HD TV. I have a Wingard Automatic Portable Satelite finder. Once I have my 5th wheel leveled I will find out my best location to put the Satellite dish. I usually place it on the living room slide or the bedroom slide. The slide is level and it works great. I leave a Direct TV receiver in the living room all of the time and it is hooked up. I take the receiver out of the bedroom and put that one in the bed room of the trailer. By the time I hook up the wires to the trailer and walk back into the trailer the TV is working perfect. I use to spend 30-45 mins trying to find the satellite. I paid a around $350 through PPL RV online. If you are surrounded by trees and do not have a opening you might be out of luck. Good Luck.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is an APP to help find the satellites. I think it cost a buck or two. It is called satellite finder and it WORKS. You point your smart phone about 30 degrees up turn slowly until the satellites come into view and if you have blockage move until you are clear.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the proper equipment sat set up is easy .Level is critical.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:58 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
As I understand your post, the campground is offering sat sourced tv over their cable system and you have a 40" tv. All that should be required is hook up to their cable system. Is the tv a flat panel? Chances are that it is hd compatible. As far as going with your own sat system, direct tv only offers hd to the large automatic antenna (1800$$) and you still have to buy receiver and pay for service...or a fixed home style antenna, etc. For dish, the carryout anser antenna is automatic and less than 500$. John
Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

First, the terminology, it's not the receiver that helps with the reception. The receiver only interprets the signal being received by the proper satellite dish. It's a satellite dish that's reguired for reception.

I use a manual satellite dish on top of a base that keeps it steady. The hardest part is aiming that thing, in fact, sometimes it's such a bear that I consider finding that unblocked spot in the sky is the hardest thing I do in RVing, beyond leveling, backing or any other part of setting up, even worse than cleaning out the sewer tanks.

You can also spend $$$s on fancy automatic satellite dish setups, but I am cheap and don't like thinking that aiming a satellite dish will ever get the best of me so I've gotten pretty good at aiming the thing. Make sure you have all the right equipment, such as an HD (oblong) satellite dish, and I can only speak for DIRECTV in that you'll also need a special box inline to receive HD programming. (Note, AT&T now owns DirecTV and one of the first things done was that the name was changed to ALL capitals.)

As for the receiver, at last check it costs about $5 a month for a receiver that is HD capable per TV, more if HD is required unless you get some kind of lucky deal that throws in HD for free. I used to have Dish and they also offered, 2 TV ports and those receiver boxes were $10 a month.

Good luck with your solution.
My point in mentioning receivers was to simply point out that buying additional receivers was not necessary, you can just pull out and use the ones you have in your home in your rig if you already have sat at your house.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:52 AM   #10
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
i had a direct tv slimline hd dish (manual setup) well after my last couple of attempts setting it up i decided to go with the Winegard G2 auto sat finder system. yes pricey around $499 at CW but it took me all but 10 minutes to set it up at the house for the 1st time. now when we start camping it should take a lot less time since the receiver is setup with correct settings for it. Like Jimmer said, i will be putting it on top of the bedroom slide or the living room slide since it is level already and anchor it down somehow ( still looking at that). frustration level with the G2 was 0 slimline was a 9.
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
If you are needing the HD then there might be a problem. I have 2 dishes one is elliptical for the 3 satellites for HD and one that is the old 18" single sat dish that i use when the signal is week or treed up and i don't have a super clear view of the southern sky, keeping in mind it will only get the standard def but it is signal when one is not parked in the best spot.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #12
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Some great advise from you all. Thank you. I think my best course is get the satellite app and see how good reception will be in addition to just trying to cable in to the campground system without the HD box. The TV is a flat screen so may well be HD capable. Will go step by step for the best result. Happy New Year to you all.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Instead of renting one why not buy it. I admit I know next to nothing about this, but isn't this what they want to rent to you: http://www.amazon.com/HopCentury-Con...cable+receiver
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have DIRECTV and did need special additional equipment beyond what I used when I had only SD. Not sure about DishTV, but I suspect something similar.

First, you'll also need the proper receiver box that supports the HD, and then you'll need to acquire a standalone booster box that provides the extra power to interpret the HD signals from the satellite dish and can then be interpreted by the receiver properly. I tried not using the booster box, and receiving HD was very sporadic. A service call to DIRECTV helped me learn about this requirement. Now, I am way more successful at getting things up and running, assuming I get the proper aim. Keeping it level - I use a bubble level - and pointed correctly - using a compass - and I'm getting pretty good at it. I still think it's the most hit and miss part of my RV set up.

I have the smart phone app (actually it's on my tablet) and all I do with it is get the general direction where to aim, but I still gotta get the satellite dish itself aimed properly. I average 95% or 96% and that's been good enough for all my channels.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
no satellite system will work in a 'blocked' area, i.e. trees.

as for your HD issue, just upgrade your TV...lots of cheaper TVs out there now.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote