Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Lynnz
Established Member

M.O.C. #17239
Update on city water connection

Took the RV to camping world Monday! They said they would look at it by today, Thursday, and call us. No call so I stopped by. He said they had not looked at it yet, they were backed up. I said it is a brand new RV that we bought there for the service. Some snotty girl behind the counter told me they had RV's that have been there since April that they had not looked at! "It's camping season you know" " yes, new RV's! Once they look at the RV, they have to get approval from Montana to fix the RV?? Ok, when will it be done, we are going out in a few weeks. Oh, it will be done! Well, we are going out July 4th and I just rented a beach house and will cancel our RV spot! Don't want them ruining my vacation! Really upset that we have a brand new RV that we cannot use, we have used it once for a long weekend! See other posts on city water connection for details!

Lynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Very frustrating. When we started rving many years ago, took an RV repair class and fix most stuff myself. But I hold the line on warranty work, and expect them to fix. If lucky enough to have a good dealer, then things go smoother. Apparently you do not.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I decided that I can't deal with stupid dealers, uncaring dealers, and any other form of less than stellar dealers. So I do it myself and if I can't I'll see who and where the shining stars are. So far, ao good. John
Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Can you tell us which camping world so we can avoid them?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
That sounds just like the Camping World in North Little Rock.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Steve, you are spot on about North Little Rock. I bought a 2010 3400RL from Camping World in Lowell, AR. last August.
they are 4 hrs. away so when I had trouble with our awning I called Little Rock to make an appointment and this was in early March I was told to leave a phone number and they would get back to me. After the second call and no response I fixed it myself. The biggest joke is that their sales manager and service manager attended our RV club meeting and dinner which is the Hot Springs Village Roadrunners and gave a big sales pitch on how good their service dept. was and they could respond quickly. I am not CW basher but I would never deal with them again nor set foot in their retail stores.
Most of what they handle can be bought from Amazon for up to 30 per cent less with no sales tax and also get 2 day delivery
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:55 AM   #7
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
If it isn't a major fix, there's no way I'd go back to a dealer. If I can't handle it i'll call a mobile repair guy. When looking at the costs, 3 days in an RV Park ~$150, 3 days in a hotel $300++. I'd rather spend the $150 delta on a repair guy to fix my stuff. That doesn't include the cost of the headache associated with the dealer visit which in my book far exceeds the actual cost in most cases.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
I'm with Davidaf. I REFUSE to let a dealer have my RV if they're not gonna fix it immediately, or let me live in it with full hook-ups while they screw around. I had a leak in a gray tank and wanted them to replace the tank. The shop told me to bring in the rig so they could take it apart and determine which tank to order, then wait 2 weeks while it was shipped and then another 2 or 3 weeks until they could get around to actually putting it in. I told him fine, I will live in it on their lot with full hookups while they do that. They told me they couldn't do that. I can't tell you on this post what I told them. With assistance from the members of MOC, I fixed the crack myself in about a week and haven't had any problems since. I too have a mobile RV guy that I trust completely and happens to be a factory authorized repairman for Dometic. I fix most everything myself, but when it's over my head, I call my repairman. I have found that most of the things that go wrong, while really inconvenient, aren't that hard to fix yourself.
I sometimes think that most of us are willing to give in to the dealers and manufacturers simply because it's a big PITA to mess with them. I'm pretty sure they know that, and continue to provide poor craftsmanship because they can get away with it. JMHO
Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have no problem with our dealer doing repairs on our Montana. We have two other dealers nearby that I would also have no problem with although they are not Montana dealers. Both have said they would take our Montana in if we wanted them to.

What about the people like myself who do not have the expertise to do repairs or have medical issues or are just to old. In my case just about anything that goes wrong is difficult for me to fix. We have used a Mobile RV repairman in Florida for fridge and furnace repairs and a couple of MOC members who are very handy are always willing to help.

As for the tanks yes they have to drop the underbelly to identify the proper tank part number then order it and it has to be shipped. That is normal. Montana makes scores of different tanks and there is no guarantee that the Black tank part # on my 13 3402 is the same as the tank # on a 2012 or 2014 3402.

A cracked tank can be repaired yourself IF you can get to the crack.

Our Montana dealer handles several brands and is swamped with repairs and delivering new Rv's as are the two local dealers.

Even then Our Montana in for two holding tank replacement and a couple of other mods, was at the Dealer My 6 th and back in our Driveway May 26, 20 days.

I am not a fan of camping world,,,In general although there are some excellent ones out there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
While under warranty, I want it fixed unless it is something easily done. We have always bought locally because of service and never had an issue. This time, we bought on price (and reputation based on other MOC members). We are 500 miles from our selling dealer. We go through Council Bluffs at least 4 times a year. On our first trip, we had a few minor issues and one self inflicted piece of damage. Stopped on the way through, made an appointment giving enough time to get parts. Stopped on the way home, they worked on it when we brought it in that morning and we took it back to the campground that night. They had a few other items to fix in the morning and finished up by 10:30 am. One part is still on order, so we will just get that done when we go to the CPRR. Selecting the dealer is a critical aspect. Not everything is reimbursed (like my self inflicted slide damage). The dealer covered that out of his pocket. Having our third Montana, we have been fortunate to have three good dealers. Good price without good service is not good value. I had service work done at our local dealer on our old unit and would trust them to work on our new one. But, I would only do it in an emergency because I didn't buy it there.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote