Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Some Second Air Conditioner questions

Does the second air conditioner installed in the front bedroom get zone controlled (zone 1, zone 2), since the thermostat mentions a selection for it? If so, does the ducting get blocked off? Does the installer determine this?

We just got back from a 107 degree campground and the internal temperature lingered around 90-92 degrees. We gave up trying to cool down the whole rig and opened the vent of the A/C to blow in the LR only. We were able to maintain about 83/84, but the rest of the rig was noticeably hotter. DW asked me to inquire how to get a 2nd A/C installed and how it would work.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Art,
Our second AC is zoned and ducted just like the living room AC.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Our second AC is independent in the bed room. I guess you would have to pull the vent and see if there is duct work there. If not then you just put the second unit in and manually let it pick up the slack.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
our is an 07 3295RK.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hmmm, so it's a matter of where the cold air is being pushed from, not two separate and distinct ducted A/Cs? That there is no separate ducting? Air gets pushed from the LR for the LR A/C and the BR A/C pushes in the opposite direction?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Oops, replied to NCFischers too fast. H John Koll implies there might be a block to create two separate ducting systems for each A/C.

H John Koll - Does this mean when you close off the drop down duct for the BR and the BR A/C diverts to the ducting that the air only goes to specific vents. Can you provide when ones?

I guess that would be my choice to block the ducting as some point if I wanted to completely control the air flow into certain areas or not use a blockage to use the A/Cs to boost air flow into the whole rig. It will be interesting to read how others' units work.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If I remember the two zone a/c came out in mid 2008 when they introduced the anniversary edition. Prior to that they were two different systems. One ducted one open to the room.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
My 3000rk has dual a/c. I was just in Texas where is was 106 most days. My first campground only had 30 amp so only one a/c could run. It keep it in mid 80's under shade trees. Next campground had 50 amp so I could run both a/c. Brought temp down to mid seventies. I have zone one and zone two for operation. Both blow through same vents. Only differance is when both are on the air comes out of vents twice as hard and fast. They both work independant on the thermastat.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Art, our trailer is a 2007. The front a/c is not ducted on our trailer. It just blows into the bedroom, only the main a/c is ducted on our trailer. Be safe! John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Oops, replied to NCFischers too fast. H John Koll implies there might be a block to create two separate ducting systems for each A/C.

H John Koll - Does this mean when you close off the drop down duct for the BR and the BR A/C diverts to the ducting that the air only goes to specific vents. Can you provide when ones?

I guess that would be my choice to block the ducting as some point if I wanted to completely control the air flow into certain areas or not use a blockage to use the A/Cs to boost air flow into the whole rig. It will be interesting to read how others' units work.
The AC I have in the bedroom just dumps air forward or rearward from itself. It does not feed into the ducts. I did not look to see if it was ducted up there when I had to do repair.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hey Hookman. I have a 2006 that provides support for a 2nd A/C, and the thermostat even uses the terms zone 1 or 2 to select, since I only have one unit it doesn't do anything. But I am not sure how it would be ducted. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think Jsnips operating description is what I would prefer but he has an '09, so that it boosts the existing unit if needed, thereby limiting hot spots or cold spots and creates an even temp throughout.

I think what I will see on my rig is what Texas Firefighter is describing from his '07. That the 2nd unit is installed and blows only into the bedroom. In my '06, the ducting registers seems to go by the bedroom unit not toward it. I don't think I like that option because the LR A/C cannot cool the dining/kitchen mid areas by itself on a hot day, as what I experienced recently. While it will be nice that the bedroom can be kept chilly, we don't use the bedroom but at night when it starts cooling off anyway.

I am gonna have to check the ceiling by the 2nd A/C to see if I can tap into the existing ducting. Then to find an A/C to fit. Cha-ching!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Art, from what I have seen on SOB that are set up with both AC on one duct, you would be just as well off with with a non ducted unit in the bedroom. That way, you can shut the bedroom off at night and keep it cooler than the rest of the RV. I simply can't understand the concept of dumping two units in the same duct and calling it zones.

We have a 13.5K unit on the bedroom, and it does a wonderful job cooling. I could hang meat in our unit in 95-100* weather if I wanted to pay the electric bill. Of course, where you are camping you might want to consider the 15K BTU unit for the BR. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
My 09 365REQ has both units ductd into the same ducts, however I have the option on both to divert air flow straight down into their respective rooms, by passing the ducts. This enables us to super cool the LR or BR when we are first setting up after a hot day's ride, and then adjust accordingly. So far it works well, except a couple of weeks back the BR unit quit listening to the thermostat...it will not shut off when it gets to the preset temp, and we freeze! It's in the shop looking for a fix!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is a difference between being pre-wired for a second unit and pre-ducted for a second unit. I have a 2008 Big Sky and the second unit is an unducted unit added at point of sale by my dealer. Most after market or dealer installed second units are like mine.

The BR unit feeds into the bedroom. I can direct the flow toward the BR door opening into the front. The thermostat is internal to the BR unit only and not connected to the main thermostat.

It is my belief that unless your unit is pre-ducted, what is needed to retrofit an integrated unit is prohibitive structurally as well as cost.

To get a "zone" effect when the one main A/C unit won't keep up, we turn on the BR unit and the dump the main unit air directly into the living area. When the overall room temperature lowers to the point desired, we close the dump and resume normal operation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I have a feeling that my pre-wired vent will work like what most of you state - it will only cool and vent into the bedroom and if one can aim the vents into the main living areas, that should at least help.

For you guys that have a discrete A/C in the bedroom (not ducted with the rest of the rig), is it controlled by its own thermostat? Is there a way that it gets controlled by the main thermostat as "zone 2"? Did you just not bother?

I am guessing that if it could be done, it gets labor-intensive to install - per Stiles I have a feeling that most secondary A/C units won't be that accomodating. So far if we purchase a new unit, I might drop it into place in the bedroom, wire it to the prewired connections (probably only power) and run it independently like most of you. But if it's not that expensive to run it to the thermostat AND the main ducting, that would be best. I probably should not dream too hard, huh?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Our BR A/C is not ducted. Meaning it only cools the BR unless you use a seperate fan.
During the hotter days (90+) down here I wait until the LR A/C (set at 73) starts loosing ground to the heat. When the inside thermometer gets up to 77/78 I kick on the BR A/C. I also use a fan in the BR blowing toward the livingroom. This system has worked at keeping the overall temp in the trailer in the mid to hi 70's when it's 90+ outside. Using the LR A/C alone the overall temp would get into the mid to hi 80s.

At night, I set the LR A/C at 77 and leave the BR A/C on. Yes the bedroom does get chilly but for sleeping that's the way I like it. With the LR A/C set at 77 it rarely runs at night giving it a much needed rest after running all day.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:

I have a feeling that my pre-wired vent will work like what most of you state - it will only cool and vent into the bedroom and if one can aim the vents into the main living areas, that should at least help.

For you guys that have a discrete A/C in the bedroom (not ducted with the rest of the rig), is it controlled by its own thermostat? Is there a way that it gets controlled by the main thermostat as "zone 2"? Did you just not bother?

I am guessing that if it could be done, it gets labor-intensive to install - per Stiles I have a feeling that most secondary A/C units won't be that accomodating. So far if we purchase a new unit, I might drop it into place in the bedroom, wire it to the prewired connections (probably only power) and run it independently like most of you. But if it's not that expensive to run it to the thermostat AND the main ducting, that would be best. I probably should not dream too hard, huh?
When I asked this same question (a long time ago - over a year) I believe the reply went like this.
1. The AC unit installed would have to have the remote thermostat card or capability with it.
2. The four wires from the thermostat would have to be run to the bedroom AC. I think that is the hard issue.
Good luck.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't forget that cold air is heaver than hot air and the cold air from that front unducted front A/C spills down the steps from the bedroom and into the rear of the camper. It is also wise to crack a roof vent so the hot air that rises to the ceiling can vent. There are times when we only run the front A/C and it does a fair job in cooling the entire camper (Now not when it is 106)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The 2006 is not designed for ducting the front AC nor does it use zones despite the thermostat. Our thermostat says the same thing. Our 2007 is the same way. It is not ducted and thus can't be zoned.

The second AC prep option includes both the wiring and the framing.

This is our first summer with the second AC. We find that many days we can run just the front AC and it will keep it comfortable downstairs, as well. And downright chilly upstairs. We also set the thermostat for the downstairs AC and it will turn on and off as needed. It makes for a much quieter tv viewing experience except on those really hot days when both units run.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Actually Art, you will be suprised how much it does help. Our layout is bedroom at one end, living room at the other. Watching TV is a chore with the rear air on because you have to play volume controller. With the front air on, the rear air kicks on MUCH less (unless it's a scorcher!). BTW: Even though our trailer was prewired, the bedroom is not hooked up to the controller and/or duct work, and I'm glad it isn't.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Art, your unit is prewired for 2nd A/C. You have to use the drop air type. You cannot use the ducts. A good choice is the 13,5000 BTU Carrier low profile. It has some functions that help move the air around a little different an some A/C's. he controls on drop air units are on the units. not on a wall stat. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote