Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Dodge 07 6.7 L diesel problems

I love my Dodge Mega, have had all kinds of problems with the new emissions stuf on the truck.The truck has been in the dealership for almost a month now, I guess the hold system got cloged up, the vehicle lost power and then konked out and had to be towed to the dealership. Most of the hold up has been waiting on parts but the diesel tech told me this will probably happen again. I guess its not getting hot enough to burn off the soot and then it cloggs the system. Thank God it is still under warranty, but the next time it happens it probably won't be. Has anyone out there know of this problem. We don't pull our unit much, I was told that if we did, this wouldn't happen. I wasn't told when I order the truck nor should I have to pull my rig on a regular basis to keep the truck from clogging up and shutting down on me. I know this is a big repair bill that Chrysler has to eat, and I'm not confident they have a perminant fix. It's not Chrysler fault the goverment has but this high standards on the new diesels. Looking for any input !!

bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Most people using the new trucks (of any make but with the Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs)) as daily driver vehicle are having some type of problems with sooting up. Runs are just too short and not getting the exhaust hot enough, for long enough, to burn the soot out. On my 08 Dodge the owners manual tells me about the overhead display and the messages I'll receive -- basically when I get the 70% percent full, 80% full and 90% full, what I should do (drive at least 30 minutes at 50 MPH or better, non-stop). Don't know many in-town streets that are that long, much less have such a speed limit....

There is a process that the dealer can run that will 'burn' that soot out; however, as they mentioned, the problem will come back if you don't 'drive it like you stole it!!' as one brand states. Working trucks (hauling heavy loads, pulling trailers, etc.) don't seem as prone to this problem however, even then you have an issue with Dodge and their earlier turbos. There are several TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) out, one or two for the turbo, several for new programs for the EMC module(s), etc.. Your dealer should be looking at all of those as well while working this issue.

When you get it back be sure to work it (also gets better fuel economy quicker if you work em hard - I'm still waiting for mine to improve -- only have 2900 on my new one).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Robert,
@ 8k had a new turbo/dpf installed and with no other warning than the CEL. I usally run without a load and about once a week make a dpf run. What I was not aware of (as explained by my TECH)that the regen needs 65mph constant for prox 45min and if there is a break during regen, the system wants to start the "clock" over. It's all in the computer so I have to have faith Dodge/cummins will sort this out soon. Also,my tech said run with the exhaust brake ON. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

Most people using the new trucks (of any make but with the Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs)) as daily driver vehicle are having some type of problems with sooting up. Runs are just too short and not getting the exhaust hot enough, for long enough, to burn the soot out. On my 08 Dodge the owners manual tells me about the overhead display and the messages I'll receive -- basically when I get the 70% percent full, 80% full and 90% full, what I should do (drive at least 30 minutes at 50 MPH or better, non-stop). Don't know many in-town streets that are that long, much less have such a speed limit....

There is a process that the dealer can run that will 'burn' that soot out; however, as they mentioned, the problem will come back if you don't 'drive it like you stole it!!' as one brand states. Working trucks (hauling heavy loads, pulling trailers, etc.) don't seem as prone to this problem however, even then you have an issue with Dodge and their earlier turbos. There are several TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) out, one or two for the turbo, several for new programs for the EMC module(s), etc.. Your dealer should be looking at all of those as well while working this issue.

When you get it back be sure to work it (also gets better fuel economy quicker if you work em hard - I'm still waiting for mine to improve -- only have 2900 on my new one).
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Thanks for your input, I'am aware of all you mentioned, and the TSP's have been read and followed during this issue. I just want a perminant fix and not a band aid for my truck, because the next time it happens it my not be under warranty. My truck just turned 20K miles on it, so if it takes another 20K to get clogged again it won't be under warranty. Keep an eye on your new truck, the first sign is your check engine light will come on. I've had to take mine in several times for the check engine light.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLSTS03

Robert,
@ 8k had a new turbo/dpf installed and with no other warning than the CEL. I usally run without a load and about once a week make a dpf run. What I was not aware of (as explained by my TECH)that the regen needs 65mph constant for prox 45min and if there is a break during regen, the system wants to start the "clock" over. It's all in the computer so I have to have faith Dodge/cummins will sort this out soon. Also,my tech said run with the exhaust brake ON. Steve
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
Thanks,
Did you get a little DVD that explains all that ?? Why did they replace the turbo ??
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobby A

Thanks for your input, I'am aware of all you mentioned, and the TSP's have been read and followed during this issue. I just want a perminant fix and not a band aid for my truck, because the next time it happens it my not be under warranty. My truck just turned 20K miles on it, so if it takes another 20K to get clogged again it won't be under warranty. Keep an eye on your new truck, the first sign is your check engine light will come on. I've had to take mine in several times for the check engine light.
Check your warranty. I would think that would fall under the federal emissions. Some of the emissions equipment on the Duramax is warrantied for 80K miles.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Robert, From what I've read on other forums I should feel lucky, others have reported being on some sort of national back order list. The 1st gen of turbos(or so I'm told) could not be cleaned when sooted up(maybe leaving the EB on helps to keep the turbo clean). I can't afford a 40k truck to set waiting for us to go camping, so I use it as a daily rider, as many others out there do. Still love my Dodge,Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I also had a problem on my 07 3500, about 8000 miles and it clogged up the egr vavle. The dealership in Washington, state cleaned the egr and flashed the computer to open it up a little. Then about 12,000 miles the co2 unit when out and the dealership in Roseburg,Oregon was the only one to have the co2 unit on hand. So I drove for 2 hours from Coos Bay, OR. to Roseburg. They again flashed the computer. I them recieved the DVD about the filter on clogging. We work at the Grand Canyon, North Rim and we use the employee shuttle to go to work or we walk. Every week or two we go out to Page Az. or St George Ut. for supplies and it has not happened since. But its a royal pain not to drive it short distances to save time. We do what we must. I still love my Dodge.randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know what's going on with yours but it's sure not something I'm hearing much problem with. We have 36,000 on ours and have not had that problem. And although we're fulltimers we've gone as long as six weeks between towing trips without this problem. The truck is our only vehicle so gets used for city, highway, short trips to the store, long trips, etc. We do nothing special. We just start it up and drive it and shut it off when we arrive. Same as we'd do with any other vehicle.

Ours is one of the early 6.7L models. At 13,000 the light came on and I was told our turbo needed to be replaced with the newer version. It was replaced and there's not been a single problem since then. In the first 12,000 miles I did have to have an oxygen sensor replaced and the throttle position sensor. But nothing at all in the last 23,000 miles (since 13,000 and the turbo).

I suspect something is wrong with yours. From my experience, it's not something considered normal and you have to live with it. You do have to be very careful to use ULSD fuel AND CJ-4 oil. I understand using oil not rated CJ-4 can create problems, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote