Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
dcpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #8268
Pull right Superglide

The recent posts about the Pullright automatic sliding hitch have me thinking. We're new at this stuff. Should get our 3400RL on Aug. 20. Dealer has us set up to install a Reese Slider in our
Chevy short bed.

Some of the stories and posts have me concerned enough to consider the Pullright Superglide automatic slider instead. Is there anything more that I should consider than what has already been posted?

I still have a couple of days before I have to let the dealer know which one to get for me. If any one has anything else that can help me make a decision please reply.

Thanks

Dave

dcpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
By the above post I take it that you have read up on all the pros, which are numerous, with very few, if any, cons about the SuperGlide. This cannot be said about ANY manual slider.

Having said that may I suggest that you contact your RV dealer and ask him to throw in the difference in cost between the Reese and the SuperGlide. The worst he can say is no. If that be the case than I would still persue him in working with you on the installation cost.
BUT, IMHO, regardless of whether or not the dealer is willing to work with you I would still get the SuperGlide.
Keep one thing in mind that SuperGlide, properly maintained, will last for many years and would be capable of pulling any 5er you may aquire after you have worn out or tired of your Monty. My original 2003 SuperGlide used to tow my 04 2955 is the same SuperGlide I currently use to tow my 07 3485. It is nearly 5 years old and works the same as it did when it was brand new.
Also note that every year I have taken my SuperGlide back to PullRire in Indiana and every year PullRite has gone over it 100% and made any repairs or adjustments absloutely free of charge. This included replacing the hitch assembly even though the damage was something that I caused myself.
Dave, Being from Ohio, a yearly trip to PullRite should be simple for you. You can even include that PullRite visit with the Fall MOC Rally which is held each year just 30 minutes from PullRite.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The next thing i would ask is if you forget to slide the reese how much does it cost to fix the truck and the 5th wheel , give me a price as it will be lots,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dave, I've got to chime in here for the Reese slider. I have been pulling my two Montanas with the same Reese since 2001 without any problems needing a trip back to the factory for yearly upkeep or maintenance. I will not even try to say anything against the super glide because there isn't any. By all means, if you have any thoughts that you might forget to get out of the truck to manually slide the Reese, then spring for the extra $1800 for the super glide. If you would break out the rear window a couple times or damage the cab, then the $1800 would have been well spent.
In the last 7 years of pulling our 5er, I have never had to use the slide, but if I would have to, I have the confidence in my ability to get out and pull the handle.
If you can get the dealer to throw one in, go for it.
Hope to see you at the fall rally either way!
Again, this is MHO!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It will not be an extra $1800 at all. The price of the SuperGlide is about $1800. The Reese slider would be arond 1200. Your cost would be the difference between the Reese and the SuperGlide.

ON EDIT....

After doing the above reply I did some more research....
My estimation of 1800 bucks was way wrong as I did some Googleing and found this...

RV Supply Warehouse---PullRite SuperGlide 5th Hitch

and this...

PPLMotorhomes Hitches

These prices of approx $1300 are much much closer to the Reese Sliders making the purchase of an automatic slider a no brainer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dave,

Does your dealer have Reese as their hitch of choice to sell? My dealer had Husky. I ordered my SuperGlide 18K on the internet and it was delivered directly to my dealer free and no sales tax. The dealer had experienced techs that could install SuperGlides. They installed it in my 2007.5 (NBS-New Body Style) Chev truck, shortbed and it took close to 5 hours total at a rate of $85.00 per hour. The dealer agreed to absorb the Labor as part of our purchase arrangement this past October 2007 when we bought the Montana. It's been a great hitch. At the time I paid a total of $1665.00 for the Superglide 18K hitch, Quick Connect Plate and the rails that go into the truck. All three items were needed for my install. I chose the SuperRails as that allows complete removal of Hitch and rails froml truck instead of the Universal rails. I do not know today what the total cost would be. Glenn sent you a website that I believe only included the hitch price and you would have to add the other two items in your cost. Good Luck. I endorse the SuperGlide but also know that Reese customer and MOCser Emmel is also satisfied with his Reese product and he too is a Buckeye!! Go Gator,hehehe. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
You're right again, Glenn, the reese probably has gone up in price since I had mine installed for $867 including tax. Don't know the installed price for the superglide, didn't do any research on it. Just giving the price example you gave at $1800 plus installation.
Besides thinking people should have a choice, I just like to disagree with you at times. I speak out for the reese, but of course, I guess I'm a "no brainer" though!
Again, just MHO!!!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had Reese manual sliders for many years (since 1995), until March of this year. I only used the slider four times during that time. The problem is I should have used the slider five times. I now have the Superglide.

The manual slider is perfectly serviceable so long as you are careful to use the slider if in doubt about whether you can make that turn. My problem was after so many years I got overconfident and did not use the slider when I should have.

I knew I could back into that site at that angle and be fine. And I could have had it not been for the little curb I had to back over. I knew the angle was tight but did not realize one rear truck wheel raising up over that curb would tilt the truck into the Montana. Fortunately my wife, Vicki, saw what was happening and yelled for me to stop. The damage was limited to a dimple on the truck cab and a tiny scratch on the corner of the front cap of the Montana. I was very lucky.

The Superglide is pricey. You can deal a bit with the dealers. I saved $700 over retail (off total installed price including accessories) by doing so. However, I do not think spending that much money is necessary for everyone. If you will use your Montana for weekends and vacations, then it's probably overkill, so long as you are careful to use the manual slider when needed. If you will fulltime with the rig, then maybe it's worth the cost. To me it's worth the cost. But I went 13 years without incident prior to the stated incident. Five of those years we were fulltiming.

Good luck with making your decision.

By the way, the retail price including 18K superglide, superrails (required for the Dodge or any who want a flat floor when hitch is removed), installation labor, labor to remove my old hitch, a can of slip plate, and the hitch cover is a bit over $2900 retail. I checked several places. You can buy the hitch at a discount online but have to find someone to install it for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote