Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
go185
Established Member

M.O.C. #1717
K & N Intake Kits for Duramax

Has anyone had any experience with a K & N FIPK generation II intake kit or K & N 77-series intake kit for duramax diesels? If so, how did it work, did it help power and mileage? Would appreciate any info you might have. Thanks, Rex and Sharon (go 185) MOC 1717.

go185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This past May I had the Banks Ram Air installed on my 05 Duramax. I immediately noticed an increase in HP and Torque. I don't pay attention to fuel mileage so I can't help you there. I got mine at CW and the total price was around $500 installed.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have a K & N intake system and filter for my 2002 Duramax. I was going to sell it, but someone here on the forum talked me into keeping it. I don't have it on, so I can't tell you how it works...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I installed a Volant Cold Air Intake on my Dodge Cummins as well as a 4" exhaust and a Diablo Power Puck and there was a DEFINITE increase in HP/Torque and mpg. I got all the stuff from www.xtremediesl.com and installed it myself.
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I recall DieselPlace.com doing extensive research on air filters, and IIRC, the results did not favor the K & N. I was cautioned against the K & N by a mechanic back in East TX. Some of the sensors simply don't like the oil you apply to the filter after it is washed. Depending on the year model of your Duramax, CoolMyDuramax has a cold air intake that might help with airflow.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Will, you are right. The mass airflow sensor was the problem with oil coming through the filter and messing that up. I do know that there are some who absolutely swear by the K & N, though.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Any of the foam type filters can be (and usually are) over oiled. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The Banks Ram-Air filter is a lifetime filter and only requires cleaning every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. By the time mine needs cleaning I'll be ready for a new truck as I already have over 60,000 miles on this truck.
So far it has done everything it is advertised to do.

Banks Ram-Air--04 - 05 Chevy/GMC 6.6L Duramax
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

The Banks Ram-Air filter is a lifetime filter and only requires cleaning every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. By the time mine needs cleaning I'll be ready for a new truck as I already have over 60,000 miles on this truck.
So far it has done everything it is advertised to do.

Banks Ram-Air--04 - 05 Chevy/GMC 6.6L Duramax
Just curious how you decide it needs cleaning? Filter minder? Visual inspection? I do like the idea of the complete intake, as I have read bad things lately about the stock air intake on the LLY engine (restricted airflow). Seems the later model engine intake can be retrofitted to the LLY turbo, but the run on them by LLY owners has them back ordered everywhere. Here is the thread if any of you guys would like to read that. Seems to increase MPG.

Frankly, I'm not interested in increases in torque or horsepower, unless it increases MPG.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glenn,
I am SHOCKED! Shocked, I say. Are you not the one who has always argued stock is best? Something about the manufactures would put it on if it were any good at all -- or some such. Did you have some kind of epiphany?
Respectfully curious,
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is some great reading on The diesel gargage forum. Click on 2005 LLY over heat problrms, then go to Main sorce of LLY heat. It is a great read for any of us with a diesel truck, especially those with a 2005 DMAX. Try it Glenn. Let us know what you think.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

There is some great reading on The diesel gargage forum. Click on 2005 LLY over heat problrms, then go to Main sorce of LLY heat. It is a great read for any of us with a diesel truck, especially those with a 2005 DMAX. Try it Glenn. Let us know what you think.
Lynwood
The LLY engines are overheaters. No if, ands, or buts. I have never overheated mine, but I believe they will overheat. I am disappointed GM never acknowledged this fact. Given the right circumstances, any of them will overheat. The race for horsepower and torque simply left the cooling system no match for the heat the engine produced. If I were traveling a lot, I would have to add the extra cooling provided by the V2 cooling system. But, IIRC the site you mention is where KB hangs out; I would be cautious about his cures for overheating LLY engines.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

Glenn,
I am SHOCKED! Shocked, I say. Are you not the one who has always argued stock is best? Something about the manufactures would put it on if it were any good at all -- or some such. Did you have some kind of epiphany?
Respectfully curious,
Dave
I bite my tongue on that too. g
Old 07-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dave and bigmurf,
It's not like I messed with the computer by adding a chip or reprograming. It only makes sense that if you allow more and cooler air to the intake that an improvement will take place.
Years ago you took the air cleaner off those 4 barrels to add more air and improve performance. Worked than and should work today.

Will,
Try it Glenn. Let us know what you think."
No offense but I rarely read "The diesel gargage forum" or any of the diesel forums as I have absolutely no idea who all those so called diesel "experts" are in the real life. At one time I did read them all and soon found the same posters using different User IDs saying one thing on one forum and using a different ID totally contradicting himself on another forum. Seems some of them like having it both ways. I even recall one individual who had a Ford on one forum and a Dodge on another and if I tried a bit harder I probably would have found him with a GM on still another.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
What's next Glenn. A little diesel fuel additive? ggg
Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not gonna happen.
Have never found the need for any additive in either of my Duramax's.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Lynwood
Glenn, the quote you referenced to me was not my post. I asked you a couple questions about the Bank's filter.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I bought a K&N filter back in 2005/2006 and wasn't impressed at all. Just to much dust gets in. I took it out and only use the OEM filter, and some of the reports I have read say OEM is better than the K&N because of oil. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 AM   #19
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
I remember someone here or on another diesel forum had an article about reusable filters. It was done by an oil (Amsoil or Rotella ?) company. They would run an engine for 5000 miles with different air filters on them and then check the oil for silicon content. None of the reusable high flow filters came close to stock paper filters for actual filering ability. Keeping in mind that a turbo charged diesel uses 7 times the volume of air as a naturally aspirated engine, I think this is significant. K&N flowed 4 times more air than stock but was near the bottom for filtering ability (around 87% I think). AFE was neer the top in filtering ability (around 96%) but only flowed twice as many cfm's than stock. Not sure if any of this helps, but it's obvious that it is a trade off that each will have to decide on. More power=less filteing. More filtering=less power. Probably what kind of conditions you normally drive in (dusty,etc.) will also make a big difference. I have an AFE7 from my 04 F250. It will fit on my 07 F350 but I have yet to decide whether to install it or not. Probably would get me a little better mpg's and a little more power, but I am not sure if it's worth the risk. Paper is definitely the saner choice, but there's nothing wrong with being a little nuts sometimes.
Edit: K&N flowed 400 cfm more than stock not 4 times more. AFE flowed 200 cfm more not 2 times more.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think a properly maintained K & N filter - proper cleaning and proper re-oiling - would serve well if the truck is to be used strictly for towing the Montana on paved roads. If you plan on 2-tracking with it or if you have to drive any at all over any dirt or gravel roads, I would say that K & N would not be a good choice.

I am thinking of re-installing my K & N. We have a Park Ave that we use as a daily driver and the truck is used only to move the Montana or the boat, or as a 2nd vehicle occasionally. We never have it on any dirt roads.

I have had some minor overheating problems the last two times over that Jellico - Knoxville stretch of I-75. I think better airflow may help on that moderately difficult stretch. The problem is that if you are not going up, you are going down. Poor Allison has a hard time catching her breath...