Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
B & W Hitch Question

I am new to pulling a fifth wheel. I have been towing a 34 foot trailer up to now. I have a 3400RL on order along with a F350. I am considering the B & W hitch. I like the flat floor when it is removed. Are there other advangages, disavanges or problems any of you have had with it.

iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
love it.....

I have one for four years and would buy another if it ever wears out.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Removes in less than 10 minutes and can tow your buddy's 5er whose underpowered Dodge that uses a gooseneck breaks down?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have had several 5th wheel hitches, Reese, Huskey/Valley and the Trailer Saver air ride hitch. This is our first B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. Can be removed by one person and the Truck bed is clean. The B&W is actually two hitches in one a Gooseneck and a 5th wheel hitch. The operation of the hitch is so simple and never a problem hooking or unhooking. I think if everyone had the B&W hitch the bed saver would become obsolete, its the safest hitch I have owned and if the pin is in you are hooked and there is no slack in the hitch. Good Luck on your choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have one and appreciate all the qualities as listed above. Flexibility and versatility are key words for me. I can pull a goose neck trailer or my Montana with the Companion hitch. I can remove it and use the bed unencumbered for that kind of load.

Easiest hitch I have used for hooking up and unhooking from the fifth wheel. As you lift the pin with the landing legs down the jaws just neatly open up as you take the pressure off the truck. I don't have a down side.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I pull a horse trailer so versatility is important to me. I wouldn't have any other hitch than the B&W Companion hitch. It is easy to hook up to and easy to unhook from. There is no guessing if the hitch is latched and if the 5th wheel will fall on the bed. I can lift the entire package out of my truck bed in less than 5 minutes.
There is a new copycat hitch out but I would stick with B&W.
Just my opinion.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272
Pros: (1) Being able to completely remove the hitch assembly leaving the bed of your truck unobstructed. (2) Adjustable mounting allows you to position the fifth-wheel assembly front/back & up/down. (3) Ability to tow both Gooseneck ball and fifth-wheel trailers. (4) Easy coupling and uncoupling.

Cons: (1) Hitch assembly is awkward for one person to install/remove.(2)Gooseneck ball can be difficult to get out of the under-bed mount (3) Does not have slider capabilities.

Would I purchase another one? YES !!!
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Colibert Hitch is the new companion hitch I was trying to think of earlier. They make a sliding 5th wheel hitch similar to B&W. The web page is www.colibert.com
Old 05-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Your comments have been very helpful. Always good to hear from people that have lived with product.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
If you do not need the versitility of the B& W(gooseneck capable), Draw-Tite/Reese make a nice removable hitch. The Signature series of hitches remove easily and leave behind a smooth floor. Good positive hitching and a tight hold on the pin. No need to pay for the second hitch if not needed. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really need gooseneck. Just want the removablility and flat floor.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I really like ours, would buy it again in heart beat! Just love it. But.... it is a little heavy lifting in out of the truck.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just for fun what is the price of the Signature series hitch, but as I understand you have four holes in the floor, with this type hitch. GBY...
Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Yes, there are four holes, filled by a rubber plug when not in use. The price is consistant with a good hitch and competitive with others. One of the pluses is that all of the mechanicals for release of the hitch is in the bed not under/behind the wheel. There are four "pucks" that lock into the underbed system rather than the single large pin B&W uses. The tilt mechanism removes easily to lighten the removal process. I replaced one of the keeper pins (part of the hold down) with a padlock to slow down unauthorized removal. I also keep a bungee attached from the base to the operating handle to prevent banging from the tilt head when the 5er is not attached(there are springs to keep the head tilted to the rear but not to remove side-to-side movement). The Signature series also requires a slightly larger teflon/nylon lube pad due to the design of the head. Bob
Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well still haven't seen a price. My B&W cost, installed plus a in-bed 7 pin connector for the lights and brakes. The cost including 9.5% sales tax was $1,107.00. As for releasing the 5th wheel hitch just remove 1 safety pin and pull the handle all inside the truck bed. Its also has a small shock absorber that prevents the 5th wheel head from making noise when not hooked to the 5th wheel, therefore the head is level and there is no movement. You do have to pull the pin under the bed to remove the Gooseneck ball and turn it upside down and you have no hole in bed to cover. I am not saying its a superior hitch than the Signature series. But for me it works great. The head also can be removed by pulling a pin on each side. You can also use the small teflon pad or the large one. I want have to buy another 5th wheel hitch, due to the fact the whole hitch assembly can be removed and if GM decides to change the frame for some reason you will only have to purchase the turnover ball hitch that fastens to the frame rails. I guess you could buy the hitch off the web for less money, but I feel better having the experts install the B&W system. GBY...
Old 05-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #16
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Well you talked me into it. I order the Companion today. Thanks for you help.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Way to go Gary! You will not regret the purchase!
Phil
Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #18
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Bob,

I almost got the drawtight signature series make local hitch man carries those but liked some of the features of the companion better. Price was just about the same for me.

I noticed you have the F-350 V-10 4.30. How is that working out for you? That is what I have on order just not the dually.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 AM   #19
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Gary, E-mail on the way about the truck. Bob
Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Thanks for your comments