Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Plug Honda into wired generator compartment

Our 2010 -3150RL is wired for a generator. I looked at the wiring and I assume it is wired for a large generator. The wiring has a strange connector, but I'm wondering if it is possible to put a standard plug on the wiring, and simply plug it into the Honda 2000i and in that manner provide power to the trailer. If this can be done it would make it a lot handier to run the generator inside the generator compartment in the front instead of plugging in at the back of the 3150RL. I noticed there is an open ridge around the floor of the generator compartment, so I assume this is for venting the generator exhaust.

Has anyone done this, and does it work? Are my assumptions correct?

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
You would get exhaust gas into the trailer. the installed generators have an external exhaust system. This is NOT a good idea. Also, as a note, when runing a generator never run the exhaust fan, it will pull generator gases into the trailer. I know a guy that died that way a couple of winters ago.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don't ever run a portable generator while it is in the basement! We tried this recently and the exhaust soon found its way into the coach. Not a good thing!
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Not a good Idea to put small gen. in basement.I have that same gen. prep. and I put an external male plug on the front so I can place my honda in the back of myTV.....Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have to agree with most of the post in placement of the Honda,
go to Home depot or Lowes and get that specal cable that is used to lock up ATC's or Bikes it is a braded wire inclosed in plastic wit a eye on each end to put a good padlock on it, I loop one end through the slide arm and the other end I loop through the handle of the Honda and the padlock the end around the end a large slip knot so you can gas it up when needed. like chaining up a dog.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
dpam, I think that the strange connector is the start,stop /hour meter loom that goes "up stairs" to control the generator. The electrical output side of the generator will be wired into the system near the relay box. Not only will there be electrical connections, there will have to be an exhaust system installed. To my knowledge,there's no exhaust system beyond what's on the Honda 2000i, designed for add on extension. The Honda dealer at Quartzsite told me not to extend the exhaust. I hope this helps, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
dpam, I think Crossthread is correct about that plug.
If you did run a Honda 2000i in that generator bay you would need to leave the bay door open.
You did mention you have the generator prep.
In my last unit with the generator prep I ran a Honda 2000i in the generator bay on a slide out home built tray. I did leave the bay door open when running the generator. There were no fumes that came into the trailer.
Since that is a sealed compartment, leaving the bay door open when running the generator and with the exhaust pointing to the front of the trailer, the exhaust goes to the outside and I don't think it would be all that different than an Onan in the generator bay.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
When we ordered our 2010 3400RL, I talked with Charles Wade about doing what you suggest. He advised against this. He said in older units that was tried and a trailer in CA caught fire due to a short in the system. Keystone had to settle with the state of CA with a change in their system to ensure that this could not be done in the future. In addition to the comments about exhaust, the wiring is not set up to accept external power execpt from a generator designed for this purpose. He told me I would have to run a power cord from the front compartment under the trailer to the rear plug to make it work. I would still have to solve the exhaust issue. The inside controls could not be used to start or stop the generator. Easier to come up with a system as discussed in this forum to padlock your generator and keep it external. A number of people have done as suggested above and attached to their tow vehicle with a long power cord. Downside is if you want to drive the tow vehicle while running the gen.

Good luck. You may want to run a search on this subject to see what others have done.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joe and Lucy,
I must disagree with you on running a Honda type generator in the front basement of a Monty. As I indicated in an earlier post we tried this on a recent trip. The wind was blowing very strongly and I left the door to the basement open. While the wind was blowing there was no problem. But as soon as the wind stopped the fumes started pouring into the rig. In just a matter of minutes the alarm went off! Wow! Are they loud. No chance of sleeping through that.

Anyway that was our experience. Never again!
Dennis
Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Dennis,
I would not want to run a Honda in a rig without the generator prep.
I ran my set up for over two years and did not have a problem with the fumes. As I stated I did have the generator prep option and ran the generator only with the bay door open. With that option the bay was sealed from the basement compartment.
I would think under windy conditions any engine running could possibly cause fumes to enter the RV, this would even include a factory built in generator placed in the generator bay with the exhaust exiting out the bottom of the bay or the side of the rig. This happened with a class A motorhome we owned.

In Quartsite this past winter some ran their generators chained to the front jacks which were probably less than a couple of feet below where mine was located. With the 2955RL we had if I chained the generator to the rear of the rig, the generator would have been near my back door.

Here is a link to the set up I had. Honda 2000i
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Thank you for all the excellent input that I received. I guess I'll drop the notion of hooking up the 20001 in the front generator compartment. I'll lock the generator to the rear part of the 3150.

Thank you

David
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joe and Lucy,
Thanks for the pictures. That is or was a great setup! I love the slideout. Man would I love that. I can see where that process would work. If there was some way to have an exhaust for the Honda you could even run it with the door shut. After seeing what you had I now understand and would have no trouble running the generator like you have it set up. I stand corrected.
Dennis
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David,
If you can set up your rig like Joe and Lucy then you should be able to run it in the front basement. That is a really nice way they have it fixed. Otherwise I would not recommend you run the generator in the basement.
Dennis