Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Heater duct to nowhere

Prior to putting the Monty away for the winter, I decided to take a look at the water pump and see if I could eliminate some of the nosie when the pump is turned on using some of the ideas from this forum. After getting the front panel off I noticed one of the three heater ducts running down and laying on top of the lower frame. It wasn't connected to anything, so I turned on the heater to see if possibly it was a air inlet, but no it was a heater outlet. We have a duct going to the main duct and one going to the bathroom vent, but no place for the third duct. Any ideas? Can that vent be capped off to provide more flow to the other two?

Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
question could that be the one that heats the basement?just a thought.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thor's suggestion is probably correct. They do heat the basement area. But you don't have to. If you don't want it down there then cap it off. But be prepared for cold weather country retaliation!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
The duct was located behind the basement and the panel I took off was the aft basement panel. The duct was laying in that area. There is a register located in the panel, but nothing was hooked up to it (it appeared the duct would be to small to connect to the register, although it is a possibility and I didn't try it thinking it might be a way to cool the inverter). Is the basement normally heated?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
There normally is not a duct for the basement. Those ducts are taped to the large duct coming from the furnace and some times the tape comes undone and the duct will fall to the floor. Look and see if you see a small round hole cut out in the large duct coming from the furnace. Maybe the factory forgot to hook up the small duct to it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
Look for a hole in the floor, it might be to heat the belly tanks and water lines
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Our 09 3400RL is the same and this is the duct to heat the basement area, particularily the lower area where your front tanks are in the frame. Make sure the duct hose drops down into the lower part of the Monty to be effective for that area, as heat rises and comes up into the basement storage are.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

On my '09 3605, that small hose goes down through a hole in the decking to the tanks in the belly. It just hangs down there right over the holding tanks. I put some 1/4" metal mesh over the end of the hose to keep any mice from being able to get into the furnace from there.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As others said there is a duct for heating the belly but I don't recall being able to see it without dropping the belly pan. Maybe the new ones are different. I see KTManiac can see the duct in his.

I noticed in a new Montana's basement storage area there was what looked like a heat vent. I assumed that's how they heat the basement and the water connection center. I know from having an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a sensor in the water connection area that some heat does get into that area in our 2007. However, I don't think we have a duct, just a couple of openings for heat to get in there from the coach. But the new Montana appeared to have a duct in the basement. I personally think that's a good thing for those of us who do some time in freezing weather.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Be careful about plugging off any heater vent. I'm told the plenum (sp) for those furnaces doesn't like to be over heated and can burn through. I'm sure some real expert (I'm sure not) will be along to clarify this
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Well the question has been answered by Montana service dept. I called this morning and they said the 2" duct is supposed to be laying down in that area (on the lower level approximately under the edroom steps to keep the water lines and tanks warmer. The register mounted on the basement wall is placed there to allow warm air into the basement area. I like the idea of placing mesh over the opening and will probably secure the duct horizonally since I found it facing straight down against the belly pan. Thanks everyone for your input.