Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #41
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I have been driving and owning cars and trucks for 45 years and NOT ONCE did I ever have a need to check the temp of my tires. When I stop I do run my hand near the hubs to see if there is any excessive heat coming from one wheel compared to the others. Nope, not once was there a negligible difference. I think the heat thing is just another techno gimmick to get people to buy a product with more APPS......Just my opinion, of course.
What stirred my interest in the temps is the possibility it would also pick up heat from a failing bearing or dragging brake. Regardless, the feature comes with the TST pressure monitor and is still cheaper than other systems.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A increase in psi denotes a increase in temperature. The temp reading is a nice to have feature. The more information one has the better handle one has on he situation. With my tires at 80psi normal readings are 85/88. We have seen some low 90's on very hot days. The hotter the tire gets the higher the psi goes. If I saw a 95psi and no low psi warning I would be pulling over as I would be suspecting a tire going low but not yet 12% low for the alarm. If the TST is looking at the internal temp of the tire it woud not be able to see a increase in anything else like bearings, etc. We have the PP and are satisfied with it.but..I will take all the data I can get.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #43
PatMcFall
Established Member

M.O.C. #7943
PressurePro has a "High" pressure alert as well as low pressure alerts. If the tire heats up because of dragging brakes, bearing problems, etc., the pressure in the tire will rise. The PressurePro will sound an audible alarm, flash the tire that has the problem and give the high pressure reading. The Sensors come from the factory set to trigger at 24% above the set pressure. The level of the alert can be re-set to the customer's preference from 10% to 45% over the set level. Some experts say this is more accurate than a temperature reading coming from a Sensor on the end of a valve stem that is spinning around outside in all sorts of weather conditions.

Safe Travels,

Pat
PatMcFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #44
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have been kicking these monitor thingys around for months. It wasn't until this thread that got me into a more thorough investigation.
My findings are that either the PressurePro or the TST are equal in all aspects but price. Therefore in the next few days I will be ordering the TST.

As far as the heat sensor, I don't see the need for it. If the tire is low on air YES there will be heat build up BUT the pressure part of the system should have already warned me of a problem.

Prior to the years dragging my 5ers around I did drag boat trailers all over the northeast on fishing trips. NOT ONCE did I ever have a brake hang up or a bearing go bad. Practice good preventative maintenance and these should rarely be a problem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was unaware that my PP system had a high pressure alert. It is a 3 year old system..I will find the book and read it..
Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #46
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have a tendency to believe the experts in the field. That is, those that have tried the system, used the system and have actually seen what the system will do. Again, as for comparing prices for a product, remember that service and serviceability comes with the price you pay. Before you buy any product, ask yourself the question, "Will I be able to get service?" I know you will with the Pressure Pro System.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #47
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
I read somewhere that 94% of tire failure is caused by high temperature and excessive heat can harm rubber components and adhesion between components within the tire. I'm wondering if you see one tire in eight with the temperature creeping up will it give enough heads up to save the tire from permanent harm before it goes into low pressure alarm. I mean it's great to see the tire is losing pressure but the warning that the temp on one specific tire MIGHT save the tire from unseen damage and being ruined. I'm thinking the temperature alarm can't hurt. Someone said earlier in this thread they used Velcro on their dash mat. I do the same to my XM Radio and TomTom. Yesterday I jumped in the rig and all that was on the dash mat was the VELCRO! 103 degrees and everything was on the floor except the Velcro! The TSP system comes with a little sma antenna on the side of the unit and it comes with a longer antenna for external use. Melanie at TSP says this is for longer semi rigs but it's nice to have as a standard item. I believe the system also came with an additional one year warranty for a total of two years on the warranty. She was very helpful and spent about 30 minutes on the phone directing me on their website to links that answered my questions. As always comments are IMHO.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:47 AM   #48
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Orv, "service and serviceability" is sometimes a concieved idea of what one person sees. I don't doubt that PP is a good serviceable system backed by an attentive service department. BUT for everyone that gets that good treatment there are many that will not be satisfied. You see that every where in life today.
A very good example is right here on this forum. Where I feel the KSD (Keystone Service Department) is the best in the RV industry some feel it's the worst. Over the years I've had to deal with the KSD on numerous occasions and bar none I came away feeling they are the best.
There have been way to many member's reporting back that they were treated like dirt by this same KSD. If I based my purchases on what some negative folks have to say I quite possibly would not have purchased my Monty.
I am sure that you can also point out many of these type situations in your own life.

As far as price, NO price should never dictate which item you buy or don't buy. If I looked strictly at price I sure never would have purchased my SuperGlide.
BUT, I am comparing basically the same products with the same features and find that there is little to no difference than why on earth would I buy the unit that's TWICE as expensive? As I stated earlier "My findings are that either the PressurePro or the TST are equal in all aspects but price."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #49
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Which system has been out there the longest to prove reliability? Anytime I'm going to put out a fairly large amount of money I'll take made in USA over China anytime,as I've stated before I'm tired of returning products made in China.
I go along with Phil on this one,When it comes to safety I won't scrimp,in the long run it's not worth it! IMHO
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #50
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Which system has been out there the longest to prove reliability? Anytime I'm going to put out a fairly large amount of money I'll take made in USA over China anytime,as I've stated before I'm tired of returning products made in China.
I go along with Phil on this one,When it comes to safety I won't scrimp,in the long run it's not worth it! IMHO
Jack
Problem is "made in America" often doesn't include the components, in which case we are still left holding Chinese junk (and not the boat either!).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #51
PatMcFall
Established Member

M.O.C. #7943
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Jack
Problem is "made in America" often doesn't include the components, in which case we are still left holding Chinese junk (and not the boat either!).
Tom, I must respectfully disagree with you based on the information I received from Phil Zaroor, President of Advantage PressurePro. PressurerPro is American made. It was designed and is manufactured in America. As far as the price difference, this is what it boils down to. PressurePro simply cannot bring their American made TPMS product in at the prices of some of these Chinese made TPMS products because PressurePro doesn’t manufacture for cents on the dollar in China. Hence, the cost difference. It is not Chinese "junk" and you will never be left "holding anything". PressurePro stands behind their product.

Safe Travels,

Pat
PatMcFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #52
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I just bought the PP system for $730.00 from Vulcan Tire on line. It came with 10 sensors, external antenna and a PSIClops tire gauge which is a great tool in itself. I am about to take my first trip with the system installed so I will see how things work.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #53
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Hey guys,
we've had PP for about 3 years. we have a 31'5 Mountaineer TT. My wife monitors the pressure regularly while we're traveling. We were on vacation traveling from Florida to South Carolina and had a tire tire (right rear) blowout near Savanah,Ga on I 95. My wife had checked the pressure a few minutes prior to the tire blowing. Pressure was fine, tire just blew. We have Goodyear Marathon tires, tires were relatively new, had less than 3,000 miles on them. All four tires were made in 06. We bought a replacement in Hilton Head and hit the road. Coming home from where I 26 intersects I 95 south bound had the other right tire blow. again, the tire just blew, no warning. I always had the impression the tires would begin to go down and give me time to pull over before the tire comes apart... Both tires just blew... I still like my Pressure Pro, just be aware that there is still a possibility of the tires just blowing.. And I was check my tires visually prior to hitting the road and had Goodyear check my tires after the first one blew and everything visually looked fine.... Just FYI.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #54
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
OK you got me too. After reading this thread I just ordered 6 TPT system for $359. Here is how I justified this. We have Progressive Insurance and have had a $500 deductible. After four years of no claims we go to a 0 deductible. So we raise our deductible to $2,500 and still have this 4 years no claim offer of 0 deductible. If we have a claim within a year our deductible goes to $2,500 at which time we can then change it back to $500 but at a higher rate. Since I saved $276 and thought most claims may be tire related I think I did the right thing. Anyway I got the TST system.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #55
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I have had the Pressure Pro for 2 years and really like it. Mine is hard wired to upfitter switch #3 and I got the visor mount. This gets it out of the way and the antenna is as high as it can get inside my Superduty.

Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #56
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are sort of like Dave. We are hard wired to upfitter switch #2 and he minitor is velcroed to the top of the dash so the antenna is above the dash. We have no problems with reception.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #57
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We are on our 2nd Pressure Pro System, sold the first one. The PPS has save us twice, that could have resulted in major damage to our Cambridge. Had two Aluminum wheels crack (made in china). Our Pressure Pro is mounted next to the drivers left foot on the side of the console. Have no problems, I really believe that the PPS is the best safety item that you can buy. It will save you lots of money. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote