Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #21
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Speaking of which, do they still make gun racks that fit the newer trucks rear windows? I want one for an umbrella & fishing rod. Can't find them anywhere.

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've watched this post and had hoped that a lawyer or a LEO would respond to the questions being asked. Since that has not happened and I'm retired LEO then here goes.
What's the problem with telling a LEO that you have a weapon if you have a Concealed Carry Permit? Think of "Officer Safety" it's more important than anything else. If the situation was reversed I can assure you that you would want to know where every weapon is located.
Why does a person legally carrying a weapon have to acknowledge that he's carrying and a "Bad Guy" doesn't. Well that one is very easy to answer. Two words says it all...Miranda Rights. If he is in possession of a weapon and it's illegal for him to do so then for him to tell the officer that he has a weapon is saying he must admit to a crime before he is advised of his Miranda Rights.
CASE DISSMISSED!!! The officer would be the laughing stock of his shift to commit such a rookie mistake.
I onced arrested a guy that had been out of prison for 18 days and on the seat next to him was one kilo of cocaine and a stolen pistol. Would I have expected him to tell me he had a gun. Not hardly the gun and coke sent him back to prison.
That's a view point from someone who's been there....many, many times.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have no problem telling a LEO that I am carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the car or truck. That was not my point.I wondered why the CCW holder had to by law inform the LEO when nobody else has to.Why doesn't everyone have to inform the LEO , excluding the bad guy of course as we do not want to infringe on his rights. I see the warped logic. The bad guy would be admitting a crime infringing on his rights,, The good guy, if he does not hold a CC could also be admitting to a crime thereby infringing on his rights.The CC holder if he DOES NOT inform the LEO would be committing a crime no rights to worry about there so everyone is now on a equal basis. Maybe it is me but that makes no sense.

This may come as a surprise to many but Ole Rich was not in favor of the CC law and would have voted against it had it came up for a vote.
We did not need a CC law. We already had the 2nd admendment.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #24
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! But the 2nd amendment only applies if you don't have a local law, right?

Case of cell phones. They are frequency transmitting devices, and by 2nd amendment, you can listen to anything transmitted via the ether! NOT. They passed a law that said you cannot listen in on cell phones, because some Senator or Congressman got caught talking to his girl friend. They made it a law that monitors that can intercept cell phone signals cannot be sold. I could go on about this subject, but back to the point.

The second amendment has been challenged and it has lost. It is a shame. I wish some lawyer would take the gun laws on as a case.

Hugh, I respect what you said about LEO, but I know for a fact that in our area (Greater Houston Metropolitan) every police officer approaches every incident as if there were a loaded weapon involved.

Now if we were to throw out all laws and stick with the 2nd amendment of the right to bear arms, everyone would be looked at as carrying a weapon and maybe crime would not be so rampant. Of course, there may be more deaths - Darned if you do, an darned if you don't.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #25
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Wayne, It's not just your area (Greater Houston Metro) it's everywhere that an officer approaches each incident as if there was a gun involved. If he didn't he wouldn't live to retirement. He who has the gun out first is the winner in a gun fight.
They bury runners-up.
When it comes to me going home that night or me upseting a person because I had my hand on my pistol even if it was still in the holster..well I would rather them be upset than me not going home.
That's all I have to say about this.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I had a article that stated that here in Texas I could carry a handgun as I described so long as it was not in view, I questioned this due to most states want it in plain sight. I have it somewhere, I;ll try to find it.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Waynem I think you have First and Second Amendment rights confused. First Amendment is for free speech, and that is where the Cell Phones Come in. The Second Amendment Right is the right "Of the people" to keep and bear arms, and this right shall not be infringed upon. Is a 500% tax increase on Ammunition an infringement?
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #28
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yes, I should have said 1st and 2nd Amendment.

Take this example of the Government messing up the 1st Amendment. (Sorry - did not mean to Hijack this thread on the different Amendments.

Jesse Nieto
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #29
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
In NC you have to inform the LEO. You can carry a weapon in the car as long as it is in plain view, but who wants to do that?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote