Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #21
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
Timken bearings at Brown Bearing

Not sure if changes were made recently, but according to their website, they only have one of the Timken bearings I need. The rest are Peer, NTN and some other brand. Perhaps a visit to their store will provide better results. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #22
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
2006 Nomad which I am looking to sell if anyone is interested.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #23
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
Huh!?!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:45 PM   #24
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post
2006 Nomad which I am looking to sell if anyone is interested.
What kind of bearings does it have
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:34 AM   #25
Whitewolf
Established Member

M.O.C. #14498
Texan - Good one.

OK, so here's my rant. Why do we still have to worry about inspecting and regressing bearings in this modern world? That should have died decades ago. We don't worry about on our cars and trucks. Yes, occasionally one will go bad, but that's about as often as every 3rd blue moon. Maybe.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #26
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
OK, so here's my rant. Why do we still have to worry about inspecting and regressing bearings in this modern world? That should have died decades ago. We don't worry about on our cars and trucks. Yes, occasionally one will go bad, but that's about as often as every 3rd blue moon. Maybe.

Dexter tried to 'fix' that with thei NevrLube bearing system andit proved to be somewhat of a fiasco. They used two sizes - 42mm and 55mm. The 42mm have no room for error - in fact they are the same exact bearing Ford used on Mustangs and Chrysler used on some small chassis cars. They failed in those 3000 pound cars and the 6K axle RVs. The 55mm is a bunch more robust but just barely for larger RVs and didn't have the same failure rate. They were also dang near impossible for a DIYer to service and if they failed, often the axle spindle was damaged. Additionally, a total failure could also end up with you losing a wheel/hub assembly which in turn left you stranded.

A few RV builders stiil use those Nevr Lubes (New Horizon if you can believe it, as an option). I would not after having a thousand dollar 'experience'.

The current E-Z Lubes are far from optimum but a 12,000 mile clean, lube, inspect along with possible brake service is not a big deal for most folks. I just wish the RV OEM would use a bit larger assembly, but it is what it is.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #27
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Just installed the Timken bearings,races and grease seals on my rv. I have the 8k rotors and it cost me about $200.00 for the bearings and races at Rock Auto. These were stamped U.S.A. If you have the 7k rotors or hubs then it would be a few bucks less on account the inner bearings on these are smaller. The dexter seals were about $28.00 at Amazon. With grease I had nearly $240.00 in the job which took about 6 hrs from jacks down to jacks up. I really couldn't hardly tell the difference in appearance but the Timken's did feel slightly heavier. This is probably a more 'feel good' improvement than anything as my China bearings looked very good. I installed these Tuesday and got a surprisingly bad report on my wife's health Wednesday so I probably won't be traveling any this year. In fact I am considering just giving up on traveling with an rv as we were only able to make one trip each in 2018 and 2019 and looking like none in 2020. I've done a lot to make this rv very road worthy not to travel very much.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:19 AM   #28
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
Thank you and sorry

Your estimates were about right. Bought everything from Rock Auto and they definitely save me a few $$$. Sorry to hear about your wife’s troubles. A reminder that these rv’s are really considered luxury items, despite the work and love we put into them. However, life can always throw a wrench in your plans. I hope and pray your wife’s health will improve enough so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #29
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Texan - Good one.

A bigger issue beyond the bearings is doing the annual brake inspection, which requires pulling the drums off to inspect the brakes. Once the drums are off, repacking the bearings and installing new seals is needed, as why not do that while they are off? Even the best Made in the USA Dexter backing plate brake assemblies are prone to failure as I found out last year when doing my annual inspection and bearing repack. Pulled one of the drums off and found the entire adjuster screw assembly along with the spring and a couple other parts were missing, totally ground up inside the drum, and never had any indication that there was a problem with that brake. So, the bearing repack is just part of a brake inspection, not the primary reason of just doing the bearings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	failed brake assembly.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	5718  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #30
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Agree that total brake and bearing inspection and bearing repack is needed every year period.I do my own brake work and my bearings look good and the grease is still plentiful on the bearings but I don't over grease as some do. Most people think more is good when it comes to grease but as far as brakes are concerned it's just the opposite.Grease is for the bearings and nothing else. I have a bearing packer that does an excellent job on bearings and that is really all the grease you need in the hub or rotor yet there are those that think you need to lather it in then they wind up with grease on there brakes. I'm sure I could go 2 years or longer without repacking the bearings but then I would not be doing the inspection I need every year so I just do everything turn key so I have peace of mind.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #31
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
The only grease needed other then the bearings is a thin protective film on the insie of the hub - this per my US Army Wheeled Vehicle MOS training school. Any other grease is wasted and just adds to the unsprung weight of an axle (tho minimal)..

I'm considering just replacing the outer bearings, regardless of miles. The inners are, believe it or not, identical, 5.2K through the 8K axles, 25520/25580 (Timken set A52). Outers are different
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #32
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Found my best prices on Timken bearings and races as replacement parts for our 5r at AMZN sold by Rodavictoria Usa. All were stamped USA and arrived quickly. You can get the parts separately (bearing/race) from Rock Auto for close to half the price, I've discovered but make sure to check the shipping price. Sometimes RA will grab you, especially if you're in a hurry. Rock Auto has always been my go-to place for auto parts. Had forgotten them when getting the Timkens for the 5r. (