Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
walterc2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20874
Skylight help

Our 305RL has two skylights. They have both become less and less clear. I am thinking that some type of plastic polish may help restore them. Has anyone else dealt with this issue successfully?

walterc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
There may be some with success stories to share. I haven't tried it but they make various products for polishing car head lights. I've wondered if that might work.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've never considered cleaning any of mine other than just with soap and a brush. Doesn't matter to me if they are foggy or not, can't see nothing but the sky and they still let in light.

However, plastic is plastic. If you want them cleared up, you might consider an automotive headlight cleaner. There are many brands out there now. From Google (I have no clue myself):

People also ask
What is the best headlight restorer?
Here's 5 Best Car Headlight Restoration Kits To Buy

Meguiars G3000 Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit.
Sylvania Car Headlight Restoration kit. ...
Mothers NuLens Car Headlight Restoration Kit. ...
3M Car Headlight Restoration Kit. ...
Turtle Wax T-240KT Headlight Lens Restorer Kit. ...

True story: and a funny side bar:
We purchased our very first hard-sided travel trailer. It was a Dutchmen Sport. My mother-in-law went camping with us on one of our earlier trips. I (a male) was in the bathroom using it when my mother-in-law yelled through the door... "Better cover that (thing) up that helicopter flying over head as people in it with binoculars and that room has a skylight!" I jumped like a scared jack rabbit and then realized .... OH DUH! She got me good!

But it did make me very conscious about the skylight after that, and forever after!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
The one in the bathroom we applied some plastic film with a pattern. This cuts some of the light and keeps a bit of the heat out. The one in the kitchen we keep the cover closed all the time. We don't want too much heat coming in.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
What I have had luck with - USE CAUTION

I have a habit (HOBBY) of flipping used vehicles. Many of these vehicles are of the age that their headlight plastic lense housings are yellowed or fogged over.

You can buy the Parts store solutions or try this. I myself have not found a better solution.

This is what works for me and lasts for at least three years or more.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! You can easily cause more damage. Just take your time and be careful.

1. Start by sanding the surface with 1000 grit wet sand paper. A thorough sanding across the entire area.

2. Follow this up by sanding the same with 2000 grit wet sand paper.

3. Low RPM Buff (BE WARY OF BURN) with 3M Finesse IT final finish liquid until surface restored from sanding process. If you have certain areas that dont come clear completely this because the oxidation has worked its way through the entire thickness of the plastic.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3242753&rt=rud

4. Thoroughly clean the surface using DAWN and water. Allow to completely dry.

5. Prep area for painting. Obtain enough of the following for two coats.
https://www.krylon.com/products/uvre...clear-coating/

6. Apply two coats of the above, allowing enough time for thorough drying between applications.

Now for headlights this works great for bringing back to like new condition and protecting them for years to come.

For the skylight...I believe your result will be the same, but your view out of the skylight will likely be clear or much much clearer with some distorted viewing from the clear coat.

Just my two cents!! Best of luck!
2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I have had good luck with Rain-X. I would say to use this at your own risk too! I polish mine (our current 5r) a couple times a year. We are awaiting delivery of a new 330rl, so I hope it wont be much of an issue for a while. But I am sure they are all made from either, the same manufacturer of at the very least, the same cheap stuff!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Clean the outer lens with Dawn and water, let dry, tape off roof and paint with Krylon Gloss White spray paint in criss crossing pattern in aboiut 3 layers. All the light comes through, none of the heat and it looks much better than the dull clear lens. OR, replace the lens and then do as I described as i twill make the lens last much longer then.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
No, except the aging or replace
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
I have a habit (HOBBY) of flipping used vehicles. Many of these vehicles are of the age that their headlight plastic lense housings are yellowed or fogged over.

You can buy the Parts store solutions or try this. I myself have not found a better solution.

This is what works for me and lasts for at least three years or more.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! You can easily cause more damage. Just take your time and be careful.

1. Start by sanding the surface with 1000 grit wet sand paper. A thorough sanding across the entire area.

2. Follow this up by sanding the same with 2000 grit wet sand paper.

3. Low RPM Buff (BE WARY OF BURN) with 3M Finesse IT final finish liquid until surface restored from sanding process. If you have certain areas that dont come clear completely this because the oxidation has worked its way through the entire thickness of the plastic.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3242753&rt=rud

4. Thoroughly clean the surface using DAWN and water. Allow to completely dry.

5. Prep area for painting. Obtain enough of the following for two coats.
https://www.krylon.com/products/uvre...clear-coating/

6. Apply two coats of the above, allowing enough time for thorough drying between applications.

Now for headlights this works great for bringing back to like new condition and protecting them for years to come.

For the skylight...I believe your result will be the same, but your view out of the skylight will likely be clear or much much clearer with some distorted viewing from the clear coat.

Just my two cents!! Best of luck!

This WILL work no question! It will last for years especially if you put a couple of coats of clear paint on it. If you are worried about burning the plastic use the red polish compound on it then follow up with white polish compound rubbing by hand.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Appreciate the information!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
This WILL work no question! It will last for years especially if you put a couple of coats of clear paint on it. If you are worried about burning the plastic use the red polish compound on it then follow up with white polish compound rubbing by hand.
Lynwood
Lynwood,

Much appreciated! Ill give it a try on the next set I do.

Travel Safe!!
2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
rustynail
Established Member

M.O.C. #18931
I used armorall head light restorer. Worked fantastic. Been over a year and is as clear as new
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterc2 View Post
Our 305RL has two skylights. They have both become less and less clear. I am thinking that some type of plastic polish may help restore them. Has anyone else dealt with this issue successfully?
Most of these skylights are pretty thin, and the plastic gets brittle with exposure to UV rays. At some point you are better off replacing them.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I had the same problem with the skylight over the shower. I recall that it was crystal clear when new, and over the last 8 years it has become opaque. The light came in, so I didn't care. BUT, I became concerned about the UV rays causing the plastic to become brittle.

I had some leftover material from a Meguiars 2-step headlight restoration kit. I polished the skylight twice with the cleaning/polishing goo, then applied 2 coats of the varnish that comes with the kit. It worked pretty well, and Meguiar's is supposed to protect from UV.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I put Protect All on all exterior plastic....light covers, fake wood trim, sky lights, vent covers, etc. Get it at Wally World.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote