Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 03:11 AM   #1
Montana_44

M.O.C. #44
repairing facia panels on inside of slide

"we" recently tore part way off, the cutsy facia panel and pressboard underneath on the inside of the living room slide on our 2955rl. haven't really had time to do anything with it yet, but imagine i am going to have to remove the finish nails holding the pretty stuff to the pressboard underneath, then remove and reattach the pressboard before then reattaching the pretty outer facing. sounds straightforward to me.....any comments??
lesson learned here is ALWAYS check your reclining rockers are properly stowed and positioned before putting out the slides........thanks for any support....

Montana_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:10 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I watched our dealer remove and replace ours in order to make a small repair. It did not look too difficult. Just a few screws and finishing nails. They had the fascia material in stock. Should you need to replace any, it should be available.

We will keep your advice in mind. We have been strapping our chairs down anyway, maybe that is as good a reason as any to contiue to do so. In exchange I'll offer the following: Parked the truck to the side where it would clear the slides, put the tailgate down and left it down - no longer cleared the slide - put the slide out and "crunch". Fortunately no real damage to truck or trailer, but it goes to show, these things do happen. We "always" watch the slide while it is moving, except that time, I got distracted by another issue.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John and Donna, tell me this wasn't on your brand new Montana??!! I sure hope not. This would be a good candidate for the old thread where we admitted to our mistakes in hopes of helping some of the newer folks. That thread is probably archived by now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

John and Donna, tell me this wasn't on your brand new Montana??!! I sure hope not.
No, its not on the new one, we have not yet had a chance to do that sort of thing to it. It was on the one we had at the rally. It happened a while ago. It only caught the edge of the trim, nothing serious - but it easily could have been much worse for both the trailer and truck.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You have 2 Montanas ? WOW !!! Have you tried laying a "rope light" up there? We have one just about the right length and plug it into a Radio Shack remote controller. In fact we have white and blue ones depending on the ambiance we want.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We only have two in the sense that one is being traded in on the other. We have not tried rope lights yet, but we have been thinking about it. Do you use them as guidance lights for backing up, especially in the dark? Are they just laid out on the edge of the driveway, or what?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I guess if the lights go out while you're backing you know you're over too far??
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Well, Steve and Donna, same thing did happen to our new one.
First time opening the slide, we heard the crunch and stopped, only to find that when the DEALER closed up the unit for us to bring home, THEY did NOT tie the chairs down, and yes, they wiggled forward and were blocking the slide a little, enough to rip the facia off about half way up. We have an appointment on the 30th for them to fix it., and am glad to hear that it is an easy fix. With 4 slides there was no way we could check if anything was blocking the slide, as we did in our old unit. The guy that did the PDI with us, actually said you didn't have to tie the chairs down, cuz they weren't going anywhere. Well, I guess he took his own advice when closing up the unit.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:04 AM   #9
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
I thought I was the only one to do this. Mine was caught by one
of my wifes langaberger baskets. Glas to hear it is not that
difficult to rep;ace. Basket was not damaged (much to my chagrin_
but does not say much for the strength of the facia panel.
Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote