Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
12 volt lighting problem

I have just developed a lighting problem with the 3 lights above the dinning table and the sofa. They are on the same circuit. The fuse is good. They went off last night and then cme on by themself during the night. Now they don't work. Are they wired in series so that if one unit goes out they all do? How could I access the wiring? I think the wiring goes from the circuit breaker along the ceiling and then down the back corner and back into the slideout. this coming week I will take my multi meter and attemp to find the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
sounds like to me that if you pull down each light the one with the power to it first has loose wires. It would be a guess as to which way they fed them. So you need to pull each one,starting at on end to see if it is fed from that direction. I know, a lot of words to find a loose wire.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shovelhead86

I have just developed a lighting problem with the 3 lights above the dinning table and the sofa. They are on the same circuit. The fuse is good. They went off last night and then cme on by themself during the night. Now they don't work. Are they wired in series so that if one unit goes out they all do? How could I access the wiring? I think the wiring goes from the circuit breaker along the ceiling and then down the back corner and back into the slideout. this coming week I will take my multi meter and attemp to find the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
John,
I would check the junction box for the slide.
You asked if they are wired in series, No they are fed along a wire. If the wire breaks the rest behind it would go out but if one bulb goes out the rest will work.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We had the same problem awhile back with the 12volt lights being out above the stove and the couch on the same slide. It turned out to be a broken wire under the slide.
PapaBeav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Problem solved. It was broken wires where they were spliced just before entering the slideout. Cleaned spliced and taped and all is fine now. Back to enjoying South Texas weather.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote