Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Dexter Axle

I know there have been a number of older posts but I thought I would ask for some recent info. It was pointed out to me that my right rear tire, on the inside was bald about 2" worth. This was the same tire that blew last summer prior to me replacing all 4 tires. I should have had the axles checked before buying the new tires and did not.

We had a local repair man come out who spent a lot of time measuring and said we were off about 1/2 ". He suggested I call Dexter, which I will do tomorrow.

Does anyone know if Dexter's warranty will cover my 2008? If so, will it be parts and labor or parts only. If a new axle is required, once installed, does it need to be aligned or if installed properly, will the alignment be automatic? What other things should be checked?

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We had a keystone sprinter with the same problem, it was discovered the first year, and they changed the axles. I think the aligned is automatic more less, but I wasn't there for the whole deal.
Good luck with it, I would think they should do something for you, but it has been some time.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree, I would start negotiations with Dexter about replacing the axle. I know they will question you about hitting something with it to knock it out of alignment. Maybe someone will come along who has done this type of bargaining with Dexter.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
the axle should have an arch in it. If the tires are wearing, then it needs an alignment and a good truck shop can re arch the axle. , I paid around 200, Good luck on getting the axle replaced!!!

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As mentioned above, your axles should have a slight arch in them. If your rig was like mine straight from the factory, you've lost (or never had) positive camber since you indicate the inside of your tires are wearing. Keystone says alignment is NOT covered under warranty .... although if you call customer service and supply photos and weight information from a certified scale, they will take a second look at your claim and perhaps as in my case pay for the alignment. Take the following for what it's worth ... the truck and trailer alignment company that put camber back in my axles and corrected the toe in said in the past few years Dexter doesn't put hardly any camber in their axles direct from the factory. It doesn't take much weight to force them into a negative camber situation. Perhaps I should have dealt with Dexter right from the start, but so far I'm happy with my recambered and toe-in adjusted axles ... $57.50 per axle plus tax that Keystone covered.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
And the arch must be upward and noticeable when looking back there. It's not much but I do notice mine. It's one of those things that if you didn't know about it you might miss it.

I wasn't aware that they could be adjusted and that sounds like a pretty good price that dieselguy reports. I hope my visual inspection is all I need, but I should actually measure to be sure (measure the center, then the edges and there is supposed to be a difference of some number). I am several hundred lbs (300 to 600) from maximum at each wheel and I hope this prevents any problems. I do realize that a good bump in the road can certainly add more weight but hope there is leeway in the axle to consider this.

Good post to remind us to check this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
After describing my problem to Dexter, they agreed that it is probably a bent spindle which cannot be repaired and requires a new axle. They will sell and ship a new one for about $123. It sounds like a pretty good price considering how much shipping would cost. Labor and sevice call will be about $250. A new tire, another $200+. I called Progressive to see if and how much they will cover. They gave me a claim # and now will wait for a call. I don't want to haul this thing any distance if I can avoid it. The bad tire is really bad and I'm afraid if I put the spare on, I will ruin it.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, that's sounds even worse. You can rebend an axle (since it would be slight and the axle is hollow to allow this), but a bent spindle usually means a new axle. You wouldn't want to have that rebent.

The prices sound decent. I don't think the spare would get damaged for a short distance drive but I think what you're doing is just fine. I'd put the spare on the rig since it's probably as old as the other tires (or is it?) and use the replacement tire as the new spare.

Just so I understand how this works, is the spindle detachable from the axle, so that the new spindle is just bolted onto the end of the axle? This would explain why the cost is so reasonable including shipping. Not sure about the labor, but if you don't have to go anywhere and they come to you, that's worth something. Plus replacing the spindle means some brake assembly and bearing work, too which can get messy and difficult without all the proper tools.

Let us know how the story ends!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Dexter will mfg a new axle once I send them the numbers off the old one and Progressive comes out to inspect the damage.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Art:
Generally on heavier axles as on our fivers ... the spindle is welded onto the end of the axle tube. When they checked my axles prior to adjustment, they used a similar setup as an alignment shop does on cars ... a sensor of sorts is attached to your wheels and camber and toe in readings are displayed on the alignment machine. Heavy chains and hydraulics "manipulate" the axle tube to desired readings. When Ford was using twin I beams on their pickups, bending the I beams was the only way some alignments could be adjusted. Unfortunately c214dick's problem appears to be beyond an alignment issue. Perhaps the spindle was incorrectly installed at the Dexter factory from the get go.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I was told that if I took a straight edge and put it under the axle there should be an arch of 1/2-3/4 if no arch needed align. One of the techs at Drakes RV said you could tell be crawling under rig and just eyeballing you could tell. I just used a 6' 2x4 to check.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #12
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I just replaced my axles and was told by Keystone and dexter that alginment was not cover by the warrenty. Mine loss camber when I came across some road construction with a very large bump in the road, the whole trailer came off the ground, shortly there after tires started to go bad.
Called Dexter with the axle # and they shipped them to the local distributor, for about $130 each.
Took less than 2 hours to install.
I did go from 5200# axles to 7000 axles.
Good Luck
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
cpl0199

M.O.C. #10270
Wow, I can't beleive that everyone is still having problems with Axles. I had a 2007 3400RL Montana and had axle problems on it. They were Alco axles. Keystone needs to take some responsibility and get it right. I have not heard of other companies having problems that they are having for so long.
cpl0199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Would Ford,GM, Dodge cover a front end alignment if you knocked it out of alignment running it over a curb or dropping into a big pot hole???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Exactly right Rich. I have hit and run over my fair share of obstacles and I am pleased as punch that Dexter offered a replacement axle for just about the cost of shipping. With that said...the adjuster wants me to take Monty into a local shop that specializes in this kind of work. Thursday morn we will hook up and drive about 10 miles to the shop. We met with them today and they will do an inspection of all related areas relevant to the axle/spindle including measurements before making recommendations. The Progressive adjuster is planning on meeting us at the shop so he can hear first hand what's up.

I have read some previous posts regarding Progressive but I have nothing but good things to say about them. This will be my second claim in the last two weeks and they have been great.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The axle and new tires are in. Progressive met us at the shop and cut a check right there. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and comments. FYI, the total cost of the axle was $155 which included shipping.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We no longer have axles as we went to the Mor Ryde IS syatem last year. Personal choice. We had no problems at all with the dexter axles being out of alignment or tire wear up to that time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #18
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
It was a good price for the IS when we bought the disk brakes but they told us our system was good to go, so we did, w/o the IS. Maybe next time........LOL