Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
Ruth Anne D.

M.O.C. #26064
Help - Water Leak?

We were in Florida for a couple of months and while we were inside, we heard what we both thought was a small explosion and it rocked the whole camper. There was a lady outside who heard it and she jumped. When we got outside, water was coming from underneath the camper. We were hooked up to city water and not using the holding tank.
We took off the under shield but couldn't see anything wrong. Just before we left for home, we filled the holding tank and when we hooked it to the truck, water came flooding out from under the camper again. We know something is wrong, and we are assuming it is the holding tank, but not sure exactly what happened. It has been too cold to pull it all apart, but wondered if anyone else has ever heard of anything like this before. Thank you Ruth Anne D

Ruth Anne D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
My bet would be a clogged fresh water tank vent and teh city/fill valve leaking to fill the freshwater tank
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've heard what you describe. You have to figure out which tank it is. Keystone used two piece tanks in certain models and mounted them in a manner not approved by the tank manufacturer. When filled they separate and leak out. That separation is quite alarming. The break isn't always noticible from visual inspection from underneath. Try filling each of the tanks one at a time and see which one leaks. Post what you learn and we can go from there.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
What I bet happened is, your water pump check valve that is built into the pump was leaking allowing water to go backwards into the fresh tank, and the pressure finally blew out the tank. Sounds like besides a new tank, a new water pump will be needed. I surprised you hadn't noticed the water leaking from the fresh tank vent. You might be lucky and it isn't the tank and is just the hose from the tank that goes to the pump.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
What I bet happened is, your water pump check valve that is built into the pump was leaking allowing water to go backwards into the fresh tank, and the pressure finally blew out the tank. Sounds like besides a new tank, a new water pump will be needed. I surprised you hadn't noticed the water leaking from the fresh tank vent. You might be lucky and it isn't the tank and is just the hose from the tank that goes to the pump.
How is that possible when FW tanks all have overflow relief when over filling to prevent tank failure under pressure?
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You are assuming the vent line is not kinked or otherwise obstructed. The description of the problem indicated it is likely the fresh water tank or something related to it, because when they tried filling the fresh tank, water came out from underneath the rig.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Ruth, the answer is to get to a service center. Like stated above, 'probably a tank' and/or 'water pump/valve'

Figure at least $1000 for the tank replacement if that is what it is.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
You are assuming the vent line is not kinked or otherwise obstructed. The description of the problem indicated it is likely the fresh water tank or something related to it, because when they tried filling the fresh tank, water came out from underneath the rig.
I know you have a wealth of knowledge and have help many for a long time here, I applaud that.

Respectfully that was not your original assessment/advice, what are the odds of that happening in the 1st place, 2nd what are the odds of the pump issue and the overflow failing at the same time, better odds playing the lottery.

It was possibly a water line failure that was under pressure, then when they hooked up to truck to leave they changes the attitude of the 5er, maybe trapped water then leaked out.

On My Class A we recently sold when I was on city water and if I had the outdoor shower knobs on but not using it, it would divert water to my tank then eventually over flow. Happened a couple times when I forgot to turn those off.

It cold be as benign as that, who knows
Old 04-10-2020, 06:43 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
This is a forum to help people with problems seek possible solutions based on real life experiences. Everybody has a right to post their ideas. Every post doesn't require a refute or rebuttal.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If the OP doesn't participate, how can we help? They made one post and gone.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
This is a forum to help people with problems seek possible solutions based on real life experiences. Everybody has a right to post their ideas. Every post doesn't require a refute or rebuttal.
You are in part correct, while advice is great and there will be a wide variety both good and bad, still have to be careful on over zealous analysis that can be more unproductive potentially leading folks down rabbit holes that are highly un-probable or unlikely or something that would require the planets to align.

All I did was point out a likely flaw in an assessment which also benefits the OP. There was no ill will in that just pointing out the obvious. I am sure that member that posted that was doing so in very good faith as they have 1000's of times before, I respect that. In fact I even received a thank you from the OP for my observation.

When Technicians approach a problem they do not rush to worst case senario, they start with the more benign and easiest evaluation and then progress from there. I simply questioned telling someone they likely needed to replace their fresh water system when there are possible other benign easy fixes.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Amen to that.....
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Did anyone ask the OP about using a pressure regulator on the water inlet? I have had friends that blew lines and flooded the under-carriage when hooked to "city" water. Some sites are running really high pressure to ensure that users get enough water.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #14
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I know you have a wealth of knowledge and have help many for a long time here, I applaud that.

Respectfully that was not your original assessment/advice, what are the odds of that happening in the 1st place, 2nd what are the odds of the pump issue and the overflow failing at the same time, better odds playing the lottery.

It was possibly a water line failure that was under pressure, then when they hooked up to truck to leave they changes the attitude of the 5er, maybe trapped water then leaked out.

On My Class A we recently sold when I was on city water and if I had the outdoor shower knobs on but not using it, it would divert water to my tank then eventually over flow. Happened a couple times when I forgot to turn those off.

It cold be as benign as that, who knows
Sounds to me the tank ruptured. Could be the back flow valve on the pump or the direct fill valve in the service panel. Maybe it just blew the drain connection away from the tank. Good luck.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #15
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
As he heard a loud 'boom' it is unlikely anything but the tank. The problem may have started with a plugged or kinked overflow hose!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #16
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
More info needed. The OP doesn't say what took place between the "explosion" and when they hooked up to leave. It seems if a tank or pipe blew, water would have continued to flow while connected to city water. Did the explosion happen when they were hooking up or was there a period of time in between? Just doesn't make sense that something would blow and then not continue to leak.
OP, More details please.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #17
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
Did you pressure regulator on city water ?? Could be to much pressure on lines
rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
And another confirmation from all these comments why I never leave my camper hooked up directly to city water and leave the city water turned on. I always fill my fresh water tank and pump from there. The on-board water pump will not pump greater pressure than what it is set for. If a valve fails, the water will just circulate from the fresh water tank, to the pump, and back to the tank, never overfill. If a holding tank fails for whatever reason, there is only so much water in the fresh water tank that can be pumped, even limited amounts of water if you overflow your toilet.

My logical suspicion from the original poster's comments is, a water line blew under pressure. But again, the question needs to be asked ... from the time of the explosion to the time they prepared to leave the campground, what was going on with the water?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #19
Michael-R

M.O.C. #26209
Leak above storage unit

Began looking for a leak that initially seemed to be under the trailer near my utility connections, however after further investigation I see that the leak is coming seemingly in the area directly below the shower faucet. Is the faucet removable or can someone give me an idea how to inspect ??
Michael-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #20
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Yes it is removable probably a loose connection. Most use the cheapest parts and labor. Not difficult to remove, tighten or replace. I’d never try to repair junk though.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote