Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
First timer, & buying 2019 High Country 381TH and now need a hitch

I'll be picking my 2019 Montana High Country 381TH this weekend and need to buy and install hitch in my truck by then.
I have A Dodge ram 3500 heavy duty/high output dully (the one that has 30,000 pounds and has 1000 pounds of torque). It has factory installed fifth wheel ready.
Crew cab, 8" bed

Specs:
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 13345 / 6053.3
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 3655 / 1657.9
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 17000 / 7711.2
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 3185 / 1444.7

Here’s what I think I know, but as always you don’t know what you don’t know.
  • Some, but not all trucks, need a hitch specific to their vehicle. (True or faults)
  • My 3500 needs a specific hitch rather than universal ( True or False)
  • I don't need a slider(True or False) probably false
  • Not sure what it means, but should get one that moves both horizontally and vertically
  • Best brands?
  • I need an install kit also (True or False)
  • I can install it myself or should have professionals (myself or professionals)
  • What should it be rated at for Maximum tow weight?

What am I forgetting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Based on my experience:

1. Some, but not all trucks, need a hitch specific to their vehicle. (True or False) Do not know but likely False
2. My 3500 needs a specific hitch rather than universal (True or False) False
3. I don't need a slider (True or False) True, especially for a long bed
4. Not sure what it means, but should get one that moves both horizontally and vertically No, hitch should not move
5. Best brands? B&W, Curt (I have a Curt), Blue Ox, Demco, Reese are some https://www.rvpartscountry.com/5th-w...hes_c_573.html
6. Do I need an install kit also (True or False) False, if you have a factory puck system in your bed, otherwise you will
7. Can install it myself or should have professionals (myself or professionals) you can install with a calibrated torque wrench, albeit I had mine installed since it required torquing to a specific spec and I wanted it done by local trailer shop
8. What should it be rated at for Maximum tow weight? Get one that is over-rated from your fifth wheel, which is what I did since it does not add significant cost (I have a 24K albeit trailer is rated for 16.6K GVWR
9. What am I forgetting? Suggest covering the hitch when not towing (I have a rollup black aluminum tonneau cover), check bolt torque for tightness and lube per manufacturer's inspection intervals, adjust height so bottom of trailer cab is level and 5.5 - 7" above the truck bed rail per manufacturer's instructions
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Another set of comments/opinions

• Some, but not all trucks, need a hitch specific to their vehicle. (True or faults) You say the truck is prepped for a 5th wheel hitch. I have to assume that means a Puck mount system for the hitch mount. You will need the Ram base plate aa each truck maker uses slightly different puck system dimensions.
  • My 3500 needs a specific hitch rather than universal ( True or False) You can use just about any hitch compatible to the Ram puck system (and most are)
  • I don't need a slider(True or False) probably false No - not with an 8' long bed.
  • Not sure what it means, but should get one that moves both horizontally and vertically Yes
  • Best brands? Too many to count. There are air ride hitches, standard hitches (i.e. the B&W) and the Reese Goosebox. It all depends on what you want.
  • I need an install kit also (True or False) No, not for a puck system. The base plate drops right in to the mounting pucks.
  • I can install it myself or should have professionals (myself or professionals) It you are comfortable with a wrench you can do it yourself.
  • What should it be rated at for Maximum tow weight? At least 20K or more just to be comfortable (and plan for the future).

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Another set of comments/opinions

• Some, but not all trucks, need a hitch specific to their vehicle. (True or faults) You say the truck is prepped for a 5th wheel hitch. I have to assume that means a Puck mount system for the hitch mount. You will need the Ram base plate aa each truck maker uses slightly different puck system dimensions.
  • My 3500 needs a specific hitch rather than universal ( True or False) You can use just about any hitch compatible to the Ram puck system (and most are)
  • I don't need a slider(True or False) probably false No - not with an 8' long bed.
  • Not sure what it means, but should get one that moves both horizontally and vertically Yes
  • Best brands? Too many to count. There are air ride hitches, standard hitches (i.e. the B&W) and the Reese Goosebox. It all depends on what you want.
  • I need an install kit also (True or False) No, not for a puck system. The base plate drops right in to the mounting pucks.
  • I can install it myself or should have professionals (myself or professionals) It you are comfortable with a wrench you can do it yourself.
  • What should it be rated at for Maximum tow weight? At least 20K or more just to be comfortable (and plan for the future).

I may have been taken just a bit. I bought a B&W 25,000 lb. hitch at a cost of $1,350 purchase and professionally installed. The installation took longer than quoted because they said the pucks were not exactly lined up.

This is not meant to be misogynistic,, but I felt like the oft talked about example of the housewife who takes her car in for repair and the mechanic took advantage of.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Hitch

Do you plan on keep your hitch on or removing it to use your truck for other jobs? How much can you lift? Some of these hitches are almost 200 lbs ( B&W). Do you have the OE puck system?
I went with the Demco Recon for the following reasons;
-You can break it down to three parts none which weigh over 75lbs
-It attaches to the center gooseneck ball only. Demco will have a four point OE puck system out for the dodge in a couple of months for about $1400 they already have them for the ford and Chevy ( not sure about the weight of this one)
-Anderson is the lightest
-other companies have the four point OE ( original equipment) out for all three brand trucks
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #6
hookseter
Established Member

M.O.C. #27463
Hitch

I have an 07' Ram 3500, turbo diesel, 8' bed, fleet side. Went with the biggest Pulrite hitch, works fine, have pulled several 5rs.
hookseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:17 AM   #7
Ozzie Cozzies
Established Member

M.O.C. #21444
Quote:
Originally Posted by KausalityKid View Post
I may have been taken just a bit. I bought a B&W 25,000 lb. hitch at a cost of $1,350 purchase and professionally installed. The installation took longer than quoted because they said the pucks were not exactly lined up.

This is not meant to be misogynistic,, but I felt like the oft talked about example of the housewife who takes her car in for repair and the mechanic took advantage of.
Don't worry. You have purchased what I believe is the BEST hitch on the market. It is worth every cent you paid for it. It saved me from the "Trip from Hell". Late at night going up a 9 hairpin road in SC (I know - I should have researched route but didn't have time), I literally dragged the rig up the mountain - went past the point of no return and had to proceed - 4 miles in 2 hours. Did over $20k damage to truck tray (8') and rig. And I actually bent the receiving 1/2" plate on the hitch which B&W didn't think was possible BUT the rig stayed attached to the truck and didn't end up down the side of the mountain. Insurance paid for a new hitch head (and the rest). I am so pleased I purchased a welded box section B&W Companion hitch - a lighter folded plate hitch would have probably failed/buckled/unhitched. You will not regret your decision. You'll only regret it when you decide to remove the hitch due to the weight, but luckily, the head plate does easily detach from the main frame. And by the way, mine didn't simply drop in on install either. I completely loosen all the cam/puck bolts, got them in the puck slots, turned the cams, and then tightened them up accordingly. Hasn't moved since 2019. You'll be right - you made the right decision

Martin & Sue - Travelling Aussies
2018 Montana 3130RE, B&W RVK3600 25,000lb for RAM OEM Puck, 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Crew Cab LB 4x4 SRW
Ozzie Cozzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:33 AM   #8
hookseter
Established Member

M.O.C. #27463
Hitch

Whatever hitch you go with, as long as your comfortable. Just tried to say what I have. Safe travels!!
Old 02-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #9
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I have the same setup as you. I has a fairly new Reese Elite 20K slider, so I use the adapter to go into the puck system. I also added the following to the TV:

- LoadLifter 7000 with Wireless One, I can smooth out the ride and adjust the air on the fly.

- BAKFlip MX4 tonneau cover. It is a foldable hard cover that folds up to the rear window so you can access the full box. When towing I can leave it partially covered to better protect stuff in the front of the box.

- RDS auxiliary fuel tank, 60 gal. Mine had a stock 28 gal tank, which meant we started looking for fuel every 200 miles. Now I can go around 800 miles and be more selective where I pull off to fill. Many times we are unhooked and staying put for a few days so I can go fill without the trailer.

You PIN weight will be closer 3500 lbs, mine is 3620 at my last weight with about a 1/3 tank of fresh water on board. You will not really know until you are fully loaded and hit the scale to confirm. I would recommend the following on the trailer:

- Weigh the trailer every so often so you know where you are with the weight of the trailer and payload on the truck.

- A TPMS system for the trailer, it can save you from a major blowout and damage. There are many different brands with options. Don't forget to put one on the spare tire, you don't want it low if needed.

- Camera system. I have a Haloview with the extender and side cameras. It helps with changing lanes, you can see the blind spots and behind you much better.

Enjoy!!!

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #10
hookseter
Established Member

M.O.C. #27463
Hitch

07' Dodge Ram, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel, 8' bed, air bags (still have to get on board compressor), Pulrite hitch. Trailer- 2020 Montana 3700LK, not totally sure of the wieght), Ben full time for about 6 years, probably heavier now. Pulled several 5rs and bumper pulls. Like I said, what ever set up makes you happy!
Old 02-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You can’t go wrong with a B&W hitch. Good choice. It’s an extremely strong but slightly heavy and worth whatever you paid. When I bought mine it was $600 delivered but they gave me dealer price.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:28 AM   #12
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
I needed to hear that, thanks. I'm not worried about the weight. I'm sorry of a Mcgyver/love problems kind of guy. Sigh... I'm 60 now, but there was a day not that long ago where I would have laughed at it.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:40 AM   #13
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
That's impressive, and since you have almost the identical truck& trailer I can take your recommendations seriously. I'm definitely installing 3 camera system, fuel tank, TPMS. What is the purpose of the load lifter? Yeah, I can Google it and will. Does your 3500 have the HO option (30k towing, 1k tourqe)? Mine is, so towing and weight should never be an issue.
Also, Montana's website confuses me. All the pictures of the 381TH only have two axles.
Right now I'm in the generator shopping mode. I'm not paying for a Cummins Onan when I can get quiet dual fuel invertor generators for so much less.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #14
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
That's impressive, and since you have almost the identical truck& trailer I can take your recommendations seriously. I'm definitely installing 3 camera system, fuel tank, TPMS. What is the purpose of the load lifter? Yeah, I can Google it and will. Does your 3500 have the HO option (30k towing, 1k tourqe)? Mine is, so towing and weight should never be an issue.
Also, Montana's website confuses me. All the pictures of the 381TH only have two axles.
Right now I'm in the generator shopping mode. I'm not paying for a Cummins Onan when I can get quiet dual fuel invertor generators for so much less.
I believe the 381TH has been discontinued so I wouldn't expect to find it on the website.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #15
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
I'll be picking my 2019 Montana High Country 381TH this weekend and need to buy and install hitch in my truck by then.
I have A Dodge ram 3500 heavy duty/high output dully (the one that has 30,000 pounds and has 1000 pounds of torque). It has factory installed fifth wheel ready.
Crew cab, 8" bed

Specs:
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 13345 / 6053.3
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 3655 / 1657.9
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 17000 / 7711.2
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 3185 / 1444.7

Here’s what I think I know, but as always you don’t know what you don’t know.
  • Some, but not all trucks, need a hitch specific to their vehicle. (True or faults)
  • My 3500 needs a specific hitch rather than universal ( True or False)
  • I don't need a slider(True or False) probably false
  • Not sure what it means, but should get one that moves both horizontally and vertically
  • Best brands?
  • I need an install kit also (True or False)
  • I can install it myself or should have professionals (myself or professionals)
  • What should it be rated at for Maximum tow weight?

What am I forgetting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
It was my understanding that Class III trucks are limited to 14,000 GVWR. Has this changed?
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #16
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
You may want to check the date and brand of tires. On a 2019 trailer, they have aged out unless they were replaced. Our 2020 came with Rainer, which are low grade tires. I replaced them with Sailun 235/85R16 G. The higher load rating gives me comfort knowing my tires can more then handle the weight of the trailer and they raise the camper a little which helps because I was a little nose high..

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
You may want to check the date and brand of tires. On a 2019 trailer, they have aged out unless they were replaced. Our 2020 came with Rainer, which are low grade tires. I replaced them with Sailun 235/85R16 G. The higher load rating gives me comfort knowing my tires can more then handle the weight of the trailer and they raise the camper a little which helps because I was a little nose high..

This is really good advice. You do not wont a blowout. They can do thousands of dollars in damages. That will totally ruin your vacation.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:30 AM   #18
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
I needed to hear that, thanks. I'm not worried about the weight. I'm sorry of a Mcgyver/love problems kind of guy. Sigh... I'm 60 now, but there was a day not that long ago where I would have laughed at it.

Lol, I would agree with you on this one, how time fly.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:04 AM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
It was my understanding that Class III trucks are limited to 14,000 GVWR. Has this changed?
I understand class 3 is 10,000 to 14,000 gvwr. Is this a concern?
Old 02-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #20
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
I'm not a truck aficionado, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I understand class 3 is 10,000 to 14,000 gvwr. Is this a concern?
As I said, I am not a truck guy. This is actually the first truck I have ever owned. As an adult I only purchased either Lexus or Mercedes. Then, after the tech bubble burst in the early 2000s, I drove whatever was paid off, but they were still sedans or vans. Having said that I do not know the difference between classes of trucks, but I do know the specs on my 2019 ram 3500.
  • It is a crew cab Laramie with the level two package a and a bunch of other upgrades
  • It has the 6.7 turbo Diesel engine
  • It has the HO (high output) transmission and whatever else that gives it the towing rate of 30,000 pounds, and 1000 pounds of torque.
  • It is a rear wheel drive duly since that is the only configuration that the HO towing capability comes in for that year