Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
Send a message via AIM to Papa
WINDA Premium Trailer Tires

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these tires?

WINDA Premium Trailer Tire ST235 80R16 Radial 10PR Load Range E w/Side Scuff Guard

Walmart is offering sets of five(5) on their website on sale for $547.30, normal price is $752.10. An internet search shows they're made in China which bothers me somewhat since the Chinese tires on my firth wheel are really cheesy looking on the tread designs and pattern. Admittedly they have aged out, but the tread pattern reminds me of some of the space saver spares I've seen over the years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/5-WINDA-P...237212a58bee9b

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Surely there is no experience with them on any Montana. Load Range E tires are way too light weight to use on them.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:17 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Papa, I think you will find 90% of the MOC use either Sailun’s or Goodyear G614’s. You need to look at G series tires. Not sure which model Montana you have, or year. Most “E” series tires have a load rating of 3042 lbs. you have 7k axles unless it is a really old Montana. You don’t want your tires to be the weak link. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
In all my years monitoring tire threads on multiple forums, I've never heard of Windma tires. It doesn't take much effort for the mfgr. to rebadge a tire.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I see in your profile that you have a 2011 295 Mounaineer. Chances are good that you have 6K axles and the original tires were likely E rated. Since then the regulations have changed so that the OEM's are required to provide tires sufficient to manage the GVWR of the trailer. If Keystone were to release that trailer new today it would probably come with F rated tires, which is what came on ours. If it were me I would look for a minimum of 12ply tires (F rating) but would rather have 14ply tires (G rating). Sailun, Goodyear, or Carlisle are your best bet for a reliable tire. We put the Sailuns on ours a couple years ago with increased confidence and no regrets.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Papa, I think you will find 90% of the MOC use either Sailun’s or Goodyear G614’s. You need to look at G series tires. Not sure which model Montana you have, or year. Most “E” series tires have a load rating of 3042 lbs. you have 7k axles unless it is a really old Montana. You don’t want your tires to be the weak link. Best of luck.
Excellent advice. We use sailuns
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
WINDA Premium Trailer Tire is just another name in a large brand name market of ST tires from China. Of course, for a new tire product, the consumer must rely on the manufacturer’s testing standards when applying for the DOT symbol.

The tread pattern for the Winder ST tires is quite common. It is normally described as being used on trailer axle tires, along with a shallow tread depth as helping to prevent excessive tire heating while in highway use.

http://windabototyre.com/product_49_WL11.html
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:16 PM   #8
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
Tire load ratings

The labels on my trailer are where I took the recommendation for tire sizes and ratings from. The last time I had to worry about trailer tires (more than 30 years ago) was on our old 29 foot Streamline and it had split rims that scared me every time I had to change a flat.

I liked the idea of getting the Endurance tire for both the load and speed rating even though I wouldn't dream of traveling at 87 mph towing a trailer. Based on everyone's input I have decided to look into the Carlisle RADIAL TRAIL HD
ST235 /85 R16 128L F1 BSB that is available at my local Discount Tire store.

I want to thank everyone for their input.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_23fe.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	11639   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_23fc.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	11640  
Old 03-31-2022, 07:55 PM   #9
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
The labels on my trailer are where I took the recommendation for tire sizes and ratings from. The last time I had to worry about trailer tires (more than 30 years ago) was on our old 29 foot Streamline and it had split rims that scared me every time I had to change a flat.

I liked the idea of getting the Endurance tire for both the load and speed rating even though I wouldn't dream of traveling at 87 mph towing a trailer. Based on everyone's input I have decided to look into the Carlisle RADIAL TRAIL HD
ST235 /85 R16 128L F1 BSB that is available at my local Discount Tire store.

I want to thank everyone for their input.

Larry
Using those larger tires is "plus sizing". A savvy tire installer is needed to insure there is a new recommended tire inflation pressure established and identified in the owner's manual and on he side of the trailer. NHTSA authorizes the use of an axillary tire placard for approved plus sizes.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:28 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've never heard of WINDA tires.

After experiencing my first blow-out ever, (From the factory installed Ranier tires), I've had no problems forking out the money for a good tire. Mine cost about $275 a tire (Hercules) purchased and installed from a semi truck repair company.

Just remember, you've invested a LOT of money in your camper and tow vehicle, and your family is riding in all of that. Putting a non-recognized, no name, china made tire on your trailer is a disaster just waiting to happen. What's most important to you? Safety or saving a buck? Please look at established, known, and trusted tires and tire companies, even if the price is higher. Wall Mart may have them, that's good. Nothing wrong with any company doing the install. It's the actual tire I'm referring to.

Please choose carefully. A blow out at 65 mph is not fun! I know, I've been there.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #11
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
Do you have a recommendation for where to obtain the label indicating the plus sizing?
Old 04-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #12
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Do you have a recommendation for where to obtain the label indicating the plus sizing?
I don't often post this reference because it's really a procedures' manual for trained and qualified tire installers. They dig out the information needed for the task at hand

Find appendix A on page 21 and scroll down to the supplemental.

https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com/...mentManual.pdf
Old 04-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You have close to $200,000 in your camper and truck why consider any thing but a tire with a proven track record? There has been far too many problems with tires since I’ve been here for me to not go with a proven tire.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
New tires installed!

After much research, I finally found and purchased tires for my 2011 Montana Mountaineer. I purchased Sailun S637 G rated tires from a local shop in Oklahoma City for about $20 each more than the cost of GY Endurance "E" rated tires.

I looked for vendors on the Sailun website for my area and all three businesses either had closed or no longer carried Sailun tires. I finally resorted to calling local vendors in my area just looking for "G" rated trailer tires. After about a dozen calls I located a T&W Tires just north of I-40 on Council Road in Oklahoma City. The service techs were great and had my new tires installed in under three hours from the time I arrived at their shop. I highly recommend them for anyone in the OKC area. The company has 28 locations in the TX, OK, MO, LA and KS regions.
They aren't a direct Sailun distributor so they don't show up on the Sailun website.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:48 AM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
After much research, I finally found and purchased tires for my 2011 Montana Mountaineer. I purchased Sailun S637 G rated tires from a local shop in Oklahoma City for about $20 each more than the cost of GY Endurance "E" rated tires.

I looked for vendors on the Sailun website for my area and all three businesses either had closed or no longer carried Sailun tires. I finally resorted to calling local vendors in my area just looking for "G" rated trailer tires. After about a dozen calls I located a T&W Tires just north of I-40 on Council Road in Oklahoma City. The service techs were great and had my new tires installed in under three hours from the time I arrived at their shop. I highly recommend them for anyone in the OKC area. The company has 28 locations in the TX, OK, MO, LA and KS regions.
They aren't a direct Sailun distributor so they don't show up on the Sailun website.
Good decision. You won't be disappointed.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:42 PM   #16
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
...In all my years monitoring tire threads on multiple forums, I've never heard of Windma tires3....
Ditto.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote