Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #21
Bruce Perlee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12383
The inside pictures are reversed. The first is closet side and second is bed side.

Thanks for posting them for us!

Bruce Perlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #22
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
This is very very serious!

Why was Keystone looking at the front for stress fractures?

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #23
Bruce Perlee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12383
They said they were having issues with flex problems in the front.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bruce, very sorry to see your photos, those are some snarky looking breaks.

For future reference, you can find directions for attaching photos to your posts at this page:

Photos IN a post.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #25
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Bruce

Make sure you get all communications with your dealer / repair facility and Keystone in writing. Make sure the dealer / repair facility puts exactly what you tell them on the work order. Don’t allow them to just tell you it is not a problem and never put it on the work order. Do not accept any excuse from a dealer or repair facility that you don’t need a copy of the work order because it is a warranty item.

Try to do all of your communication with Keystone by email and keep copies. If they return to you on the phone after you have sent them an email just ask them to answer by email. They will tell you that they are typing the conversation into their terminal and it will become a part of the record for the trailer. That transcript is an abbreviated version of the conversation. Get everything from them in writing.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
That requires some video tape as well ! These were not what I expected at all. You need to go as far up the chain as possible at Keystone. Many items are covered after normal warranty expires. I would predict this might be one of them. Keep us posted! Thanks
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Oh my, I feel for you. We had some major problems with our last FW, a Sunnybrook, and if something like this happens to our 2013 Mountaineer, Iwould be sick and out of rving. Good luck.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That looks very serious. Get those pictures to the service center asap. I would not move it as it is. What in the world is going on with these things.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Looks to me that Keystone and Lippert need some new engineers, first the front Frame Flex now this, ouch that's worse than the Frame Flex, looks to me that both sides need replacing, the way these things are being built now days, what's next...sorry this happened...
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #30
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Based on the numerious issues presented in this forum, specifically frame flex, cabinet issues, closet door damages, cable slide issues and now this, we are putting a planned purchase for a new Montana on hold and are in a wait and see mode. Clearly, a change of management at Keystone is a factor in an apparent loss of quality. These things have not been issues in the past. As a Montana owner since 2002 with three units, Montana was a good quality, good bang for the buck product. Not sure at this stage.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
All RVs have issues. Major issues, some based on manufacturing others based on usage by owners. The way you judge the quality is by how the manufacturer addresses the problem. I would not base my decision to postpone a buy on the few items u mentioned. Frankly during my last cross country trip, I saw a 2013 Pinnacle have cabinet fall off wall, a last model carriage with fiberglass crack. A Hitchhiker with wheel that fell off ! Our Montana's are well built and nothing I read here or experienced so far makes me any less supportive of the product ! Remember this is a good, bad and the Ugly forum. We can only learn by sharing experiences. "Positive or negative" !
Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #32
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Was this unit purchased new?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

My wife and I have decided on where we will get our next 5th wheel and it will not be from A Thor company.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
Bruce Perlee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12383
Yes, we bought it new.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #35
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
So sorry, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I'm sure Keystone will take care of this for you, but I'm sure many of us would like to know what is the cause of this...
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These are all issues that have occurred in the past and occur on all brands. If I had thought that there was a better brand in the Montana price range I would have it. The build quality on all brands is pretty much the same. That is the way it is in the RV industry. Forums such as this make us aware of the issues we may have. We do use our Montana's hard in terms of a lot of travel on a lot of roads across the country.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

My wife and I have decided on where we will get our next 5th wheel and it will not be from A Thor company.

Phil P
Thor industries is the parent company of Airstream,Crossroads,Dutchman,Heartland,Keystone, Livin light and Thor Motor coach and all of the many brands and models within each manufacturer. That will narrow your choices considerably and save much time in choosing a manufacturer.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #38
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
[quote]Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

Phil P
[/quot

Sad to hear Phil. Not sure why you shared this with us if you mind is made up? We are here as an owners forum and your issue is fixable, if it occurred out of nowhere, as you have suggested. Not here to change your mind! Good luck!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My wife and I have decided on where we will get (oh wait, we already ordered it) our next 5th wheel, and I am happy to report that it will be our third Montana. We have not had a major problem with either of the previous two models, but have had minor problems which can probably be attributed to a seven to eight ton house bouncing along on the always well maintained highways and byways of our land (sarcasm intended, particularly in reference to the WV Turnpike!). 90% of problems, I address myself (in warranty or out), the rest can be handled by a competent service department. Keep in mind that the primary use of this forum is to report problems so members can receive advice on how to remedy their problems. While these problems (ours included) are obviously of primary importance to the members who are affected, they are not and should not be construed as being indicative of every rig manufactured by any company out there. With regards to the OP, I have seen this problem in the past (can't remember if it was on the MOC, though), and if my memory serves me correctly it was caused by a structural fault in the slide itself. Keystone-Montana should step up to the plate to resolve this. The solution needs to address the slide itself in my opinion in addition to the cosmetic repairs that will be needed. The cosmetic repairs if properly done will be stronger than the original outside walls of the rig. The interior cracks will have to be remedied by replacing the wall boards. Replacing the wall boards will also reveal whether the structural integrity of the exterior wall framing is to blame.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #40
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have to say, these are some serious cracks Bruce. And, even tho we have seen cracks on units before, not sure we have seen any that are this long and what seem to be traveling at a 45 degree angle?? That is what the photos look like to CountryGuy and I.

Al and I have had some issues in the past with lost camber in the frame, from front to back. This was NOT on our Montana. But, this was the first thing that Al and I both thought of when we saw your photos. In our case, one of the units, a TT, they took the entire trailer OFF the frame, hung the frame to restore the camber, added a whole bunch of reinforcements, replaced two doors, somehow mended the interior walls, and reinforced the door side of the rig with lots of luan plywood and replaced the ripped siding. This was on a 1989 unit, so the construction was NOTHING like our Montanas are built.

And, that helps you in NO way.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote