Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by normchevy View Post
Carl n Susan

I do have an unused washer hookup. I will run a hose from the connection and flush. Thats a great suggestion.
It could also be related to the washer drain line. If not in use it should have a plug in it. If the plug is missing or the trap is dry, it will let sewer odor in.

Some have no trap and have a hepvo valve instead. It could be bad.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #22
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Flushing the toilet while the exhaust fan is running will draw a foul odor from the black tank.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #23
Petsvet

M.O.C. #24583
We had a similar issue in our 3761FL. Turned out that the toilet seal wasn't tightened properly. It was causing a slow leak down the sewer pipe below. Tightened it and the odor went away.
Petsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #24
Taylortravelor

M.O.C. #26558
Quote:
Hey everyone,
I have been having issues with a very foul smell coming from the bathroom. I dont know how to remedy. I emptied the tanks after last trip and smell was horrendous when setting camper up on next trip.
The tank indicator shows black tank full though but not sure how thats possible as I emptied it the best I know how.
Any help?
I bought a 2014 Mountaineer last fall and when we moved in this spring I noticed a odor but wasn't sure what it was. My first thought was it was from the previous owners dog. After thorough cleaning and deodiersing it stayed there. So a little investigation and removing of the basement access panel low and behold there was my problem. The toilet flangs had been leaking g probably from day one. There was a build up of waist on the deck and down on top of the black tank. The floor flange was cracked and the commode wasn't sealing to it replaced flange, now doing it again and am going to replace that darn Commode with a different brand that I read about on one of the threads last month. I cut two holes in the under belly about 4X8" flap ( facing to the rear )and cleaned everything on the floor really well and got the water hose and washed the tanks tops and jus let the water flush the top side of the underbelly then got a bucket of bleach water and poured over the tank and flushed it another 15 minutes. Well the smell is just now coming back and I will repeat the process after I order my new commode. Wish me luck that solves the poo build up.
Taylortravelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Get the Dometic 320 if it will fit if not get the Dometic 310
Old 11-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #26
Taylortravelor

M.O.C. #26558
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Get the Dometic 320 if it will fit if not get the Dometic 310
Thanks beeje, I was about to go back and find the thread. You saved me some time. How can I differentiate between between the two for the correct one.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I believe the 320 is an elongated bowl the 310 is not. If you have enough clearance in the front of your existing toilet like a swinging door or something the 320 should fit fine.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #28
Taylortravelor

M.O.C. #26558
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I believe the 320 is an elongated bowl the 310 is not. If you have enough clearance in the front of your existing toilet like a swinging door or something the 320 should fit fine.
Thanks for the info beeje.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #29
Montanaontheroad

M.O.C. #23795
if you have a newer montana possible they used a hepvo trap in the sinks or shower. we have a 2019 3760fl and the shower trap had been comprimised and the plastic flaps inside the trap were wide open. took it off and cleaned it and made sure flaps were closed and now no more odor. see this video will help guide you to what you are looking for. https://youtu.be/RnYuYZFlb3E
Montanaontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #30
Kiernan's Mom

M.O.C. #26942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
It's probably the valve under the bathroom sink that has gone bad. It's an anti siphon valve in your black tank flush line. Black tank odor is escaping through that valve.
Could this be the reason I get sewar gas smell from the bathroom sink? It drove me crazy all summer...I'm permanently parked. Even after the tanks are emptied.
I also get a leak under the center of the area where I think the tanks are located. It seems to be a grey water issue. Someone before me drilled a hole. The man who set me up put a 2x6 under the door so I figured he knew something about it...he has a Montana. This is a 2002 Montana with an artic pkg. I have to call the mfg and see if I can get a list of what is in it, etc. I have absolutely no paperwork for the camper. I finally did don't the sheet in the kitchen cabinet.
I would like to see layout plans and info on how to access the area where the tanks are without cutting the lower seal.
Thanks for your time and help.
Ann Mary
Kiernan's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #31
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Yes I just flushed and it took a good bit of flushing to run clear. Hope that does the trick. Better habits are in order.
You might want to switch to a microbial tank treatment instead of those chemical tablets. They only deodorize and don’t do much else. The microbes eat poo, break it down and break down TP as well. If you have any build up in your tank the microbes will take care of that as well. Also take care of any odors and no chemical deodorant smells. They will also keep your sensors clean and operating like they should. Here are the top three brands. Do some research and give one a try. You won’t use anything else once you use a microbial treatment.
Camco sensor and tank treatment, Unique Digest-it. These two are available from Amazon, Walmart, and several other retailers. Third one is Tanktechrx.com and you can order direct from manufacturer. By the way, your city waste treatment plant uses microbes in their treatment process. You can also use this in your grey tanks to keep them clean. No need to use large amounts of water. A normal, moderate amount of water is all you need. Once you empty, you can add 3-4 gallons of water back to the tank, add the treatment and be done.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #32
Falcon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26505
The answer is keeping your black tank clean. The problem is how to do that. Watch this video, it kind of long but if you want your tank healthy... This is the most complete and fool-proof method ever. You will have success.
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #33
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The OP said the smell is coming from the bathroom. Since the odor is so bad it is likely from the black tank. It will be a toilet issue or a broken vent if they pass by through the bathroom wall. Most likely the toilet and/or it's connection.

Making the black tank smell pretty if fine but isn't fixing the problem.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #34
Taylortravelor

M.O.C. #26558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan's Mom View Post
Could this be the reason I get sewar gas smell from the bathroom sink? It drove me crazy all summer...I'm permanently parked. Even after the tanks are emptied.
I also get a leak under the center of the area where I think the tanks are located. It seems to be a grey water issue. Someone before me drilled a hole. The man who set me up put a 2x6 under the door so I figured he knew something about it...he has a Montana. This is a 2002 Montana with an artic pkg. I have to call the mfg and see if I can get a list of what is in it, etc. I have absolutely no paperwork for the camper. I finally did don't the sheet in the kitchen cabinet.
I would like to see layout plans and info on how to access the area where the tanks are without cutting the lower seal.
Thanks for your time and help.
Ann Mary
Probably not, it could be caused by the vent trap under the sink. The sink drain it self has a P-Trap to prevent sewer gasses to back up into the sink. Have someone che k the vents on the roof and make sure they are not stopped up with any type of bug hives or nests. This might entail removing the top cap cover.
Hope it helps.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #35
Casey and Jim

M.O.C. #25931
I also will add ice along with the water and deodorizing tabs. This has a scrubbing action that works well as we travel home. I don't do this after winterization.
Casey and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #36
Falcon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
The OP said the smell is coming from the bathroom. Since the odor is so bad it is likely from the black tank. It will be a toilet issue or a broken vent if they pass by through the bathroom wall. Most likely the toilet and/or it's connection.

Making the black tank smell pretty if fine but isn't fixing the problem.
He said it's a bad smell coming from the tank. Not sure how you've diagnosed the problem accurately right down to a broken vent but good on ya! You're a hell of a lot better than me, miracle worker! A bad smell coming from the tank IS fixed by making the tank smell pretty. Another problem would be another problem. If you can't add something productive then just scroll on by. Let it go.......
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #37
JanCouch
Established Member

M.O.C. #24632
When we bought a used 5th wheel, we were excited that it had a black tank flush. We turned it on and immediately it started leaking from behind the shower.

I only tell you this so if you plan to clean the black tank, be careful and watchful.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #38
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree with Montana man. If you put some pretty smelling chemicals in the tanks and the smell disappears you fixed nothing. You made poo smell like potpourri.

If someone continuously has foul odors in their camper something is wrong. Could be dozens of different things cracked pipe bad toilet seal etc.

Like someone else mentioned it could be something as simple as having an exhaust fan on while you flush the toilet sucking the fumes out.

Have my Sticks & Bricks we have a septic system. It has an outgoing affluent filter in the septic tank which I clean out twice a year. Does it have a smell yes is it disgusting not really. And absolutely nothing is put into that tank to mask the smell.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #39
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
He said it's a bad smell coming from the tank. Not sure how you've diagnosed the problem accurately right down to a broken vent but good on ya! You're a hell of a lot better than me, miracle worker! A bad smell coming from the tank IS fixed by making the tank smell pretty. Another problem would be another problem. If you can't add something productive then just scroll on by. Let it go.......
You don't have to take opposing diagnoses personally. This isn't a contest to see who wins. It is about suggesting ways to correct a problem.

Try reading post #1. Tanks may stink but if properly plumbed, sealed, and vented there won't be stink in the bathroom. You may be ok with breathing treated sewer gas but the best remedy is to correct what is causing gasses to enter the bathroom.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #40
Wess5622
Established Member

M.O.C. #21718
If it’s still showing full do you have two black pulls? This happened to me when I got mine. I didn’t realize there was a second black pull in back.
Wess5622 is offline   Reply With Quote