Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Are the LED's dimmable???

Are the LED ceiling lights dimmable?

The overhead lights in our 2020 3741FK are super bright. There is no ambiance lighting either in the living room, so it's all or nothing.

I was thinking about this, is they are dimmable:

https://www.amazon.com/ALOVECO-Interior-Ceiling-Recreational-Lighting/dp/B07Y2XC225/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B07Y2XC225&qid=1574907409&sr=8-1

CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Since we are talking keystone and their propensity to use the cheapest volume parts and more than likely of Chinese manufacture, my guess is that they are not of a quality to be dimmable...but if it were me, I would inspect one of yours to see who the manufacturer is and then do research. What is used in yours may not be what is in other montana models.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
Since we are talking keystone and their propensity to use the cheapest volume parts and more than likely of Chinese manufacture, my guess is that they are not of a quality to be dimmable...
LOL!! Isn't that the truth about the Chinese stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
... if it were me, I would inspect one of yours to see who the manufacturer is and then do research. What is used in yours may not be what is in other montana models.
I will have to do that. I've done a little bit of research without actually pulling one down, and so far, I haven't found any information from the various manufacturers that build them, at least about dimmability.

I have some time today, so I'll check them out...
Old 11-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
As I suspected, finding the manufacturer didn't really help.

A lot of these RV manufacturers don't out a lot of information on their websites. I wonder why??? SMH

At any rate, in my unit they are Dream Lighting which appears to be an Australian company, of all things. Their website didnt appear to be updated since 2013, so that was of little help. US distributor didn't have anything either, so no help there.

Finally found this information on Amazon:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...RCyS03n_Kb64uh

Says that they ARE dimmable with proper dimmer. I have no idea what the proper dimmer is at the moment, so I'm rolling the dice and getting some dimmers and trying them. If they don't work, I can return them. I'm getting that dimmer I listed in my first post....
Old 11-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
You should not have a problem getting your LED lights to dim provided you install the right dimmer...you need a PWM dimmer...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...yAAEgIw9fD_BwE
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
This is a good review and oversight... worth watching

https://youtu.be/f843IYqifmk
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Thanks for the reply!

I actually ordered two different kinds of switches, for use in two different locations.

One of them is a PWM, and not sure about the other one. Doing some more researching, there are specific PWM switches that I could use if the one I bought doesn't work.

Thanks again for your help!!!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Hummm. I have one of those coming like he talked about. He did say it was a PWM, but had small wires, so he didn't recommend it.

Have to check it out....

Thanks again for the help!!
Old 11-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Jpc
Established Member

M.O.C. #24040
Recently I have installed PWM dimmers on 3 of my light switches. The cover for this particular switch is quite large and ugly so the internal circuits can be easily remove and put into the wall at the switch location. Drill small hole for the adjustment knob to stick out and your good to go. They work great and with the help of my battery monitor I was able to see that with dimming the lights to half their brightness would use less then 1/2 the wattage then full power. An added benefit especially if trying to conserve some DC power.

Amazon: Hiletgo 3pc DC12-24V 8AMP PWM Dimming Controller
2018 f350 SRW 6.7,Airlift 5000 w/compressor, Andersen Ultimate hitch,2019 Montana 3120RL, 4-100Ah LiFePo4, 1200W Solar with 2-Victron MPPT’s, Victron Multi-plus 3000/12/120, Victron BMV-712, Renogy DC/DC 40Amp charger, WeBoost RV 65.
Jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpc View Post
Recently I have installed PWM dimmers on 3 of my light switches. The cover for this particular switch is quite large and ugly so the internal circuits can be easily remove and put into the wall at the switch location. Drill small hole for the adjustment knob to stick out and your good to go. They work great and with the help of my battery monitor I was able to see that with dimming the lights to half their brightness would use less then 1/2 the wattage then full power. An added benefit especially if trying to conserve some DC power.

Amazon: Hiletgo 3pc DC12-24V 8AMP PWM Dimming Controller
Great info!! But, dang, I just ordered mine, and they cost a lot more than that. Oh well!!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Change the bulbs to a lower lumen rating.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
Change the bulbs to a lower lumen rating.
These lights do not have bulbs per se. There is a plate that has surface mounted LEDs that is mounted to the ceiling. So, you change out the entire plate, if a lesser one even exists...
Old 02-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
Robert3741

M.O.C. #25749
May I ask how everyone is wiring these dimmers? I want to dim the LED awning lights. The 3-pole rocker switch to turn on my awning lights in my "Command Center" only has 3 wires coming in to it, white on top, orange in the middle, and red on bottom. The dimmers I see all require 4 wires to be connected.

By the way, we have a 2020 Montana 3741FK as well. Eventually I would like to be able to dim the ceiling lights and the awning lights :-)
Robert3741 is offline   Reply With Quote