Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Hamming it Up & RC Toys for Big Girls & Boys
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
HF Antenna's for Montana's

What are you using for an HF antenna out there. Just curious as here on the seasonal site I have the luxury of the 80m Off Center Fed wire up at 60ft. It works very well (I snagged South Africa and New Zealand this year on PSK31 !!)

I know I won't always have these lovely 100 ft pine trees around and such a pro-ham campground owner at my side once we go full timing in a few years.

Screwdrivers, combination Hustler mobiles on a single mount, homebrew vertical, homebrew mini-beam? Whats a full timing Ham to choose?

What can we buy/make/build (I prefer the make/build) that will work really well?

73 & good DX to all,

Alan WA0SKN

kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have an ICOM 706 and AH-4 tuner. I use a 33' push up composite pole with an insulator about 3 feet from the top of the pole. I run a 120 wire up the pole and then forward over the trailer to another pole in the ground. then run a counter poise on the ground. Some times one band effects the AC control circuit so I stay off them.

Since the AH-4 turner is designed for Verticals it works well with the long wire. The camp ground would not let me run the antenna in their trees. When they do I get better performance.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Does the inverted L become directional John?
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Alan,
Yes it is directional. My antenna was more of a shallow "upside down U". However, having a wire in the air even if it is directional is better than none. With that last statement you will notice my enthusiasm in the hobby has faded quite a lot.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All types of wires are directional to a degree (no pun).

Vertical will be omni-directional.

My enthusiasm has diminished to the point that I don't carry an HAM gear in the rig.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote