Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Front generator plug in

Looking at installing a front 30 amp plug up front for my generator that will in the back of the TV. I am not prewired for a generator so do I need an isolation switch or just run some 10/3 to the input of my surge protector mount a 30a twist lock receptacle up front where I want it and only plug in either the front or back but not both at the same time?

mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You can do that but I would install an isolator switch just so there is never a chance of damage. Also, putting two wires on the input lugs of your surge protector wouldn't make as good of a connection since it isn't designed for it and they wouldn't fit as well as they should.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Or install an automatic transfer switch and have one input shore feed and one input from your new generator receptacle. when I did the same on the old rig, I used 6 AWG wire from the receptacle to the transfer switch (to allow for 50 amp described later). I am not familiar with your model, but it should not be a big deal for a wiring run close to your breaker box and mount the automatic transfer switch close to it. You can get a Progressive Dynamics 50 amp automatic transfer switch for less than $150. Then if you want, you can install a 50 amp receptacle and use it for shore power as well, and then with a 50 amp to 30 amp pigtail, you can still use the generator. You can get pre-made cables that will work from the generator to the 50 amp receptacle, that is the method I used. I prefer the auto switch since it takes any manual switch work (and the remebering to switch it) out of the setup. This is offered as an example of another way to accomplish your goal.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Look at a transfer switch. I was pre-wired for a generator but do not have one installed. I did install a twist and lock 30amp plugin on the front right side of the trailer. I connected it to the generator prewire and added a 50amp transfer switch at the other end of the generator prewire. One thing I would suggest is instead of adding a 30amp is install a 50amp plug in. I installed a 30amp because I have a 30 outlet here at the house. But what I have found on the road is there have been times when I could have used the front plug because it is closer to the pedistool. But I had to use the rear factory one because I needed 50amp. So I had to drag out the 50amp extension cord. With 50amp in the front I would have just needed the 1 cord and not two.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
OK you sold me on a transfer switch. That would take care of trying to double lug and keep me from killing my generator or other things if I forget I had both ends plugged into different sources. I have only one AC but the idea of having the plug in flexibility to shore power makes sense.

Where is a good place to to put the front plug? I was thinking about putting it inside the generator compartment.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I drilled a hole to the right of the battery compartment and put a Marinco 50 amp recepactle on mine. The receptacle had a snap-close cover and I used a marine type cord for hte genny which let me travel with the generator running.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Like Bingo mine is on the right front of the trailer next to the Generator door. Looking in from the propane door on the right side I can see the back side of the plug.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote