Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Leak in the front storage compartment

Believe it or not we had 3 or 4 days of rain in So Calif. and I had a puddle of water in the front storage area in a 2019 Montana 3120RL 5th wheel on the passenger side. I looked all over tried are the faucets sinks drains and the water pump never loses pressure, all I can figure is it leaked around the compartment door but the seal looks good.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Get inside and have someone run the hose on the wall above the door. YOu will probably see water running in somewhere.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Ditto with Tom that's the best way to find leaks!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylwt View Post
Believe it or not we had 3 or 4 days of rain in So Calif. and I had a puddle of water in the front storage area in a 2019 Montana 3120RL 5th wheel on the passenger side. I looked all over tried are the faucets sinks drains and the water pump never loses pressure, all I can figure is it leaked around the compartment door but the seal looks good.

Mine would leak and have puddles in the front and rear corners of the basement doors. I finally determined that the black aluminum extrusion around the door itself isn't sealed. Heavy rains the water would fill the door until the water finally ran out the latch hole on the inside. I sealed the door AND latches on the outside and ..... No more leaks!! Also tighten the latch pressure.

Mark
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #5
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
Ditto with Tom that's the best way to find leaks!
Great idea hopefully I can fit LOL or I will find a smaller friend to help me LOL
Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Mine would leak and have puddles in the front and rear corners of the basement doors. I finally determined that the black aluminum extrusion around the door itself isn't sealed. Heavy rains the water would fill the door until the water finally ran out the latch hole on the inside. I sealed the door AND latches on the outside and ..... No more leaks!! Also tighten the latch pressure.

Mark
I will inspect everything around the door, the seal itself looks good and the door is hard to latch so it is tight I will check the frame and reseal it. The other door is ok it's just the passenger side
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I Had to remove & reseal all frames, they only had a bead of silicone on the exterior. When the door would close the frame would move a little. removed, cleaned, added butyl tape, reinstalled & added additional screws with shims. Couple days I cleaned the excess butyl & siliconed. The doors are now rigid & dry, a couple that didnt show water were wet all around the frame so good idea to check them all.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
GO ARMY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20780
Storage leak

I need assistance/advise on my water leak issue in the passenger side compartment, My rig is 2017 Montana 3921 FB

I was flushing my black tank and suddenly I notice there is water running down from the passenger side landing gear and the inside of the cargo, I look above inside the cargo and I saw 4 water lines 2 white and 1 blue and 1 red I noticed water gushing from the white hose I knew I don’t have water running inside so I shut the the water from flushing and it stopped leaking and just to confirm I tried again and it’s positive it leaks when I turn the water to flush. I tried to see if I can access the area but there is no place I could do that. I don’t know where else the water went I’m glad I’m in El Paso tx warm and dry hoping that I did not ruin anything on the inside
Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance .
GO ARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO ARMY View Post
I need assistance/advise on my water leak issue in the passenger side compartment, My rig is 2017 Montana 3921 FB

I was flushing my black tank and suddenly I notice there is water running down from the passenger side landing gear and the inside of the cargo, I look above inside the cargo and I saw 4 water lines 2 white and 1 blue and 1 red I noticed water gushing from the white hose I knew I don’t have water running inside so I shut the the water from flushing and it stopped leaking and just to confirm I tried again and it’s positive it leaks when I turn the water to flush. I tried to see if I can access the area but there is no place I could do that. I don’t know where else the water went I’m glad I’m in El Paso tx warm and dry hoping that I did not ruin anything on the inside
Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance .
The two white are for the black tank flush and go up under the bathroom sink if you look under the sink for the white lines you will see a black valve. that is an anti-back flow valve and it has probable failed you can take it out and get rid of it like most of us have or you can get a new one the OEM valve in a piece of junk.
Happy Trails
Old 01-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
GO ARMY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20780
Quote:
The two white are for the black tank flush and go up under the bathroom sink if you look under the sink for the white lines you will see a black valve. that is an anti-back flow valve and it has probable failed you can take it out and get rid of it like most of us have or you can get a new one the OEM valve in a piece of junk.
Hello thank you for the quick response, I look under both bathroom sink and did not see the white water line there are only two water line the red and blue, I even looked under the kitchen sink but no luck.
We do have a bath tub next to the bath room sink I’m trying to look for an access so I can look under, any ideas?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Montana has placed that valve in some very hard to access locations. Early years had it behind the shower wall and you had to cut a hole from the other side through a cabinet. As it is clear the valve is the problem, I would not waste my time. Cut the white lines where you have access and join them together with a couple of Shark Bite fittings. Problem solved.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Hello thank you for the quick response, I look under both bathroom sink and did not see the white water line there are only two water line the red and blue, I even looked under the kitchen sink but no luck.
We do have a bath tub next to the bath room sink I’m trying to look for an access so I can look under, any ideas?
Carl is right if you can't get to just cut the white lines wear you can get to then and join them their. I could get to nine but I did cut them under the floor of the bath.
Happy Trails
Old 01-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
GO ARMY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20780
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
Montana has placed that valve in some very hard to access locations. Early years had it behind the shower wall and you had to cut a hole from the other side through a cabinet. As it is clear the valve is the problem, I would not waste my time. Cut the white lines where you have access and join them together with a couple of Shark Bite fittings. Problem solved.
Hi Carl , thanks for the advise I’m still pretty new on rv diy I have learned a lot of quick fix in this group, first how can I post a picture in this thread ? I would like to take a photo of the white water line I was talking about before cutting and joining them with a couple of shark bites like you mentioned, second I would like to know what type of shark bite will I use, I have googled shark bite and I saw an elbow and t connection, whic one would I use? Thanks in advance for all the help
Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #14
GO ARMY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20780
Quote:
Carl is right if you can't get to just cut the white lines wear you can get to then and join them their. I could get to nine but I did cut them under the floor of the bath.
Thanks bob , I used to leave on Tacoma, left when I was 19 and join the army
Go Seahawks !!!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Hi Carl , thanks for the advise I’m still pretty new on rv diy I have learned a lot of quick fix in this group, first how can I post a picture in this thread ? I would like to take a photo of the white water line I was talking about before cutting and joining them with a couple of shark bites like you mentioned, second I would like to know what type of shark bite will I use, I have googled shark bite and I saw an elbow and t connection, whic one would I use? Thanks in advance for all the help
You want to be able to "loop" the 2 lines together, thus eliminating the "vacuum breaker" (back flow device) that is leaking. Very simple fix that will last the life of the coach.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
<snip>
......first how can I post a picture in this thread ? I would like to take a photo of the white water line I was talking about before cutting and joining them with a couple of shark bites like you mentioned.....
</snip>
Posting pictures is relatively easy. There are a couple of sets of instructions which might help. Go to http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70323 and read posts #8 and #25.

If you need further help, let me know.

Quote:
<snip>
...second I would like to know what type of shark bite will I use, I have googled shark bite and I saw an elbow and t connection, whic one would I use? Thanks in advance for all the help
</snip>
I used two elbows with a short piece of Pex (from where I cut the lines) to bridge them together

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #17
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
My 2016 did the same. It was my door which had to be replaced. I finally crawled into the compartment and saw the daylight coming through the seal.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #18
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
I’ve noticed on my 2010 3400RL Montana that if I don’t lock the door, and just use the right twist closer that it will leak a little if the rain and wind are just right. Locking the left side eliminates the leak.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #19
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Sometimes it's not the door that leaks, but the weather stripping on the door gets caught and rolled off. Had this happen on my two large basement doors already and one rear one. I simply went to Home Depot or Lowe's and got some weather stripping as below but didn't put it back on the flange facing outwards as before. Instead I put it on the frame flange facing downward so the door compresses the foam and then go out to the edge of the door where it stats to turn down and stop it there. I cut out the seal that was coming down in the places where it had came loose. I had to go back and trim off about 3 inches of the last pic as the door tried to peel it off, so I stopped it just past the hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190124_160207554-600x600.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	3073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190124_160348174-600x600.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	3074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190124_164403063-600x600.jpg
Views:	58