Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Disappointing day with Keystone

Today we drove 3 hours taking our 335RLBS to Mike Thompson with the intention of taking delivery of our 2008 Big Sky.
We are now back home and we do not have a Big Sky behind us. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. Will we have a Big Sky in the future that is unknown.
We we arrived at Mike Thompsons RV they were expecting us and showed us where to park our trailer and then since we were a bit early we had a 10AM appointment we looked around. It was not hard to find our unit as although they had many Montana's our was in the delivery area and was the only Big Sky.
They had it open and waiting already. However I knew after first seeing it that we had an issue. We ordered our unit with eveything but the Washer/Dryer stack. The front compartments were wide open and NO ONAN 5.5K Generator there. Next no roll out tray, That got things off to a pretty bumpy start and those were the things Keystone dropped the ball on as they were ordered to be installed at the factory. Then I noticed before we even started the PDI that the left door over the Living Room TV was off the hinge and hanging at about a 20 degree down angle. From there I noticed that the vertical blinds were still bundled tight on each side, there was a large plastic black tray of some king just sitting on the desk, The bathroom stool room door had hinges that were not mortised at all and when you try to close the door it pushes real hard on the door frame. It can close but with much resistance. When we went outside again not even to the PDI yet i noticed that on the service side one of the locks on the right basement door the lock just turned and turned as the fitting was loose. The door on the water heater fit nicely at the bottom but would not seat fully at the top. It will require some adjustment. One of the wheel well trim pieces had numerous screws loose. We could move the piece well away from the unit for about 1/3 of its length. Now much of this was due to Keystone failing to install all the equipment as ordered, or properly and Mike Thompson's not checking it at all against the order. But this is really poor. I have another little zinger coming up. Further we were standing out side the Big Sky's front door with the dealer personnel right after I had pointed all this out when they asked if we would like to go ahead through the PDI, complete docs and then return after they fixed everything. It was then that I told the General Sales Manager that I was extremely disappointed in this and that they have had the unit for over a week and to me they have not spent even an hour doing anything to this unit. Then I spotted the right rear tire. I pointed to it and told him you had this prepared to deliver to me and you and your staff rolled this out here with a totally flat right rear tire. I refused. I told them Not 1 dime is getting paid or one signature signing anything off till this baby is right. I also advised them that the right rear tire is to be changed out and that if it fails next Saturday we will find another dealer and possibly another rig. They insisted that next Saturday they would have it done properly and that they would have their best tech go through it with a fine tooth comb. Although I blame Mike Thompson's for a major league poor and hugely embarrassing delivery I also must say that Charles Wade was a big disappointment also. I had him on the phone while standing outside the trailer and all I really got out of him was that the generator is installed at another location in Goshen and it must have missed that routing (DA I Guess) and as for the missing tray he had nothing to say other than the dealer can install these here. Well hell yes he can but I think Mr Wade is missing the point. Everyone is super ready to let these mfgr's slide off the hook for the poor work, etc. I am not.
They set the price they feel they need to make one that we agree they need to deliver.
Next Saturday we will either have one very well prepared trailer or a 2005 335RLBS and be shopping for some other unit and they new mfgr' will be judged the same way. I am prepare for some minor issues and would have readily agreed to bring it back or perhaps even just fix the lock, etc myself but these were too many, too glaring and of course who can tow with a flat tire. I just wish I had taken a picture of that. I must admit that the GM was about as surprised as I was that they had prepared that with a flat.
So we may not be Big Sky owners after all.

Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,

How awful! It doesn't get much worse than that. I can't imagine a good dealer even letting you see the rig in such a state! That is embarrassing; or it should be!

I'd be prepared to look for another dealer. And maybe even another rig.

I know you are really disappointed. And all this just before Christmas! Kinda spoils it doesn't it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that they work to get the rig ready for you. I don't feel too optimistic about it since this is the holiday season and they may have a lot of their workforce off for a few days.

It is good that you did not sign anything and certainly good that you didn't pass any $$$$ to them.

Take a deep breath and enjoy your Christmas. All will be OK next time you see the rig.

Keep us updated.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Holding the dealer's feet to the fire is the thing to do. Sure hope your next experience with them has a good outcome.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Before you buy check out these dealers on service, on this link..
I really hope you get this worked out to your satisfaction.
http://www.rvservicereviews.com./
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! I'm not sure If I could accept that rig even after it is fixed. I'd be more prone to tell them I want another just the way I ordered it. Then I might go somewhere else.

So sorry to hear all of those problems.

Good luck in which ever avenue you take.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I look at it a little different. That unit was to have this and that from the factory and it did not. I would not accept it and either find a different dealer or order one with the things all ready installed. That's like buying a TV with out the towing package. There are things [wiring,reenforcement etc] that are not there when ordered with out the proper options installed. The dealer messed up or Keystone. Make sure it dose NOT have a Apollo in it.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Actually it had the gen prep but not the generator.
The 2nd ac was there, but not the tray. All this and we did not get to the PDI.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wow Bob, that really sux. I hope you took your trailer home with you. Sounds like they'd sell that by "mistake".. I went into our dealer loaded for bear and couldn't find anything to scream about. Better that way than yours. Hope things work out better next week. What are they gonna do about the genset?... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I wouldn't hold the dealers feet to the fire. I would use my two feet and walk out of there.
That's not the trailer you ordered so it must be theirs.
I would go to a different dealer now.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
Do not accept this trailer. With all of these problems and the amount of time it takes to make the money to buy one of these babies, I would tell Keystone to try again. This many problems is not a good sign.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not let up.E mail that post to Team Montana. Keystone needs to be held accountable for that mess. There is no excuse, none.If it happened to you it will or perhaps has, happened to others. we the comsumer can not allow that kind of crap to go unchallenged. The dealer screwed up by not catching all those errors and problems..but Keystone built that mess and shipped it out.
We toured the Big Sky Plant in April 07 and were assured that the quality would be high...does not sound that way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not let up.E mail that post to Team Montana. Keystone needs to be held accountable for that mess. There is no excuse, none.If it happened to you it will or perhaps has, happened to others. we the comsumer can not allow that kind of crap to go unchallenged. The dealer screwed up by not catching all those errors and problems..but Keystone built that mess and shipped it out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I wonder if it was more dealer and less Keystone. They build what was ordered. I think it was a dealer screw up or they would not accept it from Keystone. Just my thoughts.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
No I have the order form signed by me and it shows Onan Gen, Slide tray, Slide toppers, 2nd ac, additional fantastic fan, Queen bed not king, etc.
This unit had the queen bed, 2nd ac, slide toppers, etc. But it was missing the generator and the sliding tray. Since we did not go through the PDI I cannot confirm if anything other than what I mentioned in the original post was wrong. Actually I can the graphics between the bedroom and kitchen slide were slightly scrapped in one spot (there is actually a small 1/4" or so of the final 1-2" of a swirl missing and the painted area in that general area also had a 1 1//2 - 2 " long problem. Either poor tape removal and not touched up or something else occurred. I do not know.
I am considering On Monday of calling Charles Wade and having him tell the dealer ship that they are going to properly built and equipped a new BS 340RLQ trailer and that the dealership can sell that one out of inventory. If Charly and Keystone do not think they can build one any better than that and equip it properly then cancel the order and I will shop for another.
Bob
Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #15
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Here is what I am considering. My wife and I just talked about it again. I may give them a chance to get this sorted out. But I will tell you in the hall the trim piece on the washer/dryer closet next to the stairs looked like the nailer was out of nails and the ech tried nailing it 3 or 4 times before realizing it was empty refilled and them and nailed it again. Allot of annoying little holes in that strip. Minor but again goes to quality.
If you folks have recommendations on how you would handle this I would certainly be pleased to hear them.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Does anyone have an email address to the Keystone Montana HQ's I went to various Keystone sites and the contact us option is just to get a brochure.
If you have a top dog not Charles Wade he does not respond as I have emailed him atleast twice and he has not returned one. He does take my calls but does not reply to email. Further he would not want this email as it is going to bang on him a bit as well.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I located an email address and emailed this to them just a few minutes ago. I will advise of the response if any.

To Whom it May Concern:

First I am surprised that I have to send this as I expected a great deal more of Keystone than I saw today. If this is your premier product as built, equipped and attempted to be delivered to us today it looks like we will not be Keystone Montana Big Sky Owners.

We ordered a 2008 Big Sky 340RLQ at the Pomona RV show in October and want to talk to someone at Keystone about this poorly built, poorly prepared and improperly equipped from the factory trailer. If this represents the height of what you can build and accurately represents at the time of this attempted delivery your idea of a customer ready Big Sky then I have obviously chosen the wrong company to put my trust in.

I would appreciate and will be expecting a call at 805-???-???? on 12/26 from some one in the Keystone Montana Big Sky Management other than Charles Wade who can or would like to discuss our recent experience at Mike Thompson's RV in Colton, CA today Saturday 12/22/07.

Personally I would be embarrassed to be a Mike Thompson or Keystone employee and manufacturer of this unit as presented to us today for delivery. We have been waiting for this unit for more than a couple of months and we were considering this as a our extra big Christmas present this year and had decided to pass up on buying allot of the normal stuff for each other figuring we would just use these purchases for outfitting the new Big Sky after taking delivery at Christmas.
To say that today was a let down is an understatement.

I intend to use this call to cover all of the reasons we refused delivery today (and many were not the fault or caused by the dealer. Further you need to know we will not be taking delivery until we hear from you. So I would hope and think that the sooner someone calls from Keystones Montana Big Sky Management Team the sooner we can all move forward to a mutually agreeable conclusion.
There is no doubt our faith has been shaken but we are still potential Big Sky owners, the ball is Keystones court.

I will be expecting to hear from you to discuss this and the solutions Keystone recommends on Wednesday 12/26 at the above phone number.

Cordially
Bob and Carol McCord
Old 12-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think you might need to sleep on it Bob. You'll figure out the best path forward in the morning.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #19
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
RMccord-

You do sound really upset, and I can not blame you. For me to say just relax and let the dealer or manufacture get in contact with you would not be fair. I can say that, but at the same time I am not sitting here waiting and putting plans on hold.

From what you had said above, the only thing that concerns me is there seems to be a lot of "red flags" concerning the dealer.

We are all human and mistakes are made. Manufactures make mistakes, but that is why a delivery is made to the dealership and they allow time for the dealer to find these.

I think everything sounds fixable......but the part that really bothers me. The fact that the trailer was not ready, and there was no telling you they were not prepared. The boundry line being crossed would be the flat tire.

Keystone is a good manufacture.....they can not be blamed for a bad or poorly show by a dealer.....I would suggest at looking at another dealership. Or be prepared to babysit this Sales Dealership.

Best of luck.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #20
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I hold the dealer as the culprit. I have put this in other post. As a part time rv transporter, the dealer is suppose to inspect the rv for problems. He has a check in sheet from ketstone to list any problems with the unit. First is the dealer sure he received the right unit . Did the paperwork trailer vin match the rv that came in? Have the dealer show you his copy of the check in sheet from keystone, he has one, do not let him tell you anything different. I would belive that this is another one of those rv's that no one took the time to check in,look for problems. Someone at the dealer has to sign this sheet,find out who checked the rv in. A copy of this check in sheet is returned to the transporter and he sends it along with a copy of the original paperwork to the transport company,who in turn sends it to keystone.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote