Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #21
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I wanted the Rear Cap.. Got the Legacy Package.. Had another Thor Product, TAHOE... The outside was FILON and it warped real bad.. Not good, but then again it was not that expensive.. The one we own now Was expensive and it had the same lack of quality as the 19000 Tahoe.. So in this case more does not get you more.. At least with us.. Very unhappy with the Company as well... NO support whatsoever.. None./

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a 2013 3402 and at that time it was a regular Montana there was no legacy package.The 2013 3402 looks like a legacy package but it is just a regular Montana. The around 2015 or so they phased out a Montana brand called it a Montana (flat back) and our 2013 3403 became the legacy package.It was to give the consumer a lower priced package but still a Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #23
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
No cap no purchase
The Cap should be STANDARD.. But even then, on mine the work was shoddy... Painted but has dry spots..where the shine is not there...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #24
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
The Cap should be STANDARD.. But even then, on mine the work was shoddy... Painted but has dry spots..where the shine is not there...

I agree that it should be standard...as should disc brakes. Keystone is trying to compete for consumer dollars by offering different entry points. If Montana's started out at 100k they would be dismissed out of hand by many consumers. However there is a segment that would pay the higher price for higher quality and craftsmanship. (not just marketing fluff and the same old lack of quality). And honestly the manufacturer's from a business standpoint may have made the right choice as grotesque as that read. The Continental Coach was an excellent high quality rig but Forks RV is diad and gone cause they couldn't sell enough of them. That story could be repeated for several other quality branded models.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #25
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
To me it is a matter of looks. Some people don't mind having a box looking rear end, and some want a stylish finished rear end. So it is just up to each person's preference. I have always had sports cars that have stylish curvy features and could not imagine going without the end cap, but that is just me.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #26
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
When Montana added the rear molded cap as an option only, many felt it wasn’t worth the added cost, but without, it looks like any other cheaper brand. When looking at cost com-parables, like Bighorn, Cedar Creek, or Jayco Pinnacles or higher end 5th wheels, like Redwood or DRV Suites, molded backs are the standard. They do have a slight benefit in reducing drag, but whether studies show its significant, is conjectural. Rear molded caps are also harder to install and properly fit, as demonstrated by a few I’ve seen where fit was off by nearly an inch and caulk was used to fill the void. Imagine dealing with that when age begins to weather that joint. From the number of Montana’s I’ve seen on the road with flat backs, sales still seem to be doing well, but it’s no longer classy looking, it just isn’t.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #27
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
The Vilano and Solitude are pretty high end but have flat rear. Of course they didn't go cheap and use filon it is gel coat fiberglass.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #28
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Guess there is a broad definition of high end, so we’ll just disagree. Montana’s had molded backs as standard even as late as 2014-15 models. In other words, it wasn’t an option. Then someone at Keystone thought of an idea of eliminating the Mountaineer line and put that flat back as standard on the Montana. It lowered expenses, lowered opinions by many, but eventually it was profitable and they concentrated on other creature comforts. Now you had a medium end 5th wheel with some options so to create more bling. I actually discussed the molded rear cap with the owners of Vilano at the January Tampa RV show in 2016, and they admitted they wanted to incorporate a cap to add that edge, but it was a big undertaking and investment. Apparently expenses and expertise overruled that pursuit, so it was never instituted. We know it’s all about market niches, profit margins and what type customers they’re trying to attract. For me, it’s no longer a Montana.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the 06 3400 and now the 13 3402 big sky.There was no legacy package then and the Montana had the rear cap. We had no problem with the 06 or the 13 in term of the rear cap. If you want the rear cap now it will be the legacy package.The standard Montana is the flat rear end.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #30
z71Silverado

M.O.C. #22330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge4d View Post
I like my rear cap but it does get dirty. I've had both and the reason I like the cap is it's rigid and doesn't show temperature related warping like my Cougar did.
I have been looking at the Montana 3810 MS and I got the following list that is now in the Legacy package.
FYI:
OPTION CHANGES
• NEW! Legacy Edition Package
» Disc Brakes
» Generator Prep
» Surge Protector
» Furrion S-Vision Cameras (side view and rear View)
» iN-Command with HVAC Control
» Hardwood Cabinet Framing (Stiles)
» Electric Power Cord Reel (N/A 3130RE)
» Rear Fiberglass Cap (N/A 3700,3701,3790,3791)

I like the idea of disc brakes and the camera would be nice. I am still trying to decide between Montana and Solitude.
z71Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We have a 2013 3402 and at that time it was a regular Montana there was no legacy package.The 2013 3402 looks like a legacy package but it is just a regular Montana. The around 2015 or so they phased out a Montana brand called it a Montana (flat back) and our 2013 3403 became the legacy package.It was to give the consumer a lower priced package but still a Montana.
The brand that was phased out and became the flat back Montana was the mountaineer you can see some of them here at the fall rally that still use the Mountaineer logo. The mountaineers disappeared and the Montana appeared and our up to that time Montana became the legacy package.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #32
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
[QUOTE=I like the idea of disc brakes and the camera would be nice. I am still trying to decide between Montana and Solitude.[/QUOTE]

If you take your time and check out the difference in the quality of the real wood used inside of the Montana to mostly paper covered in the Solitude it will be an easy decision for you.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote