Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
06 D/A chevy issue

Two days ago I went out to start the truck and the pre-heat coil light came on as usual but even after sitting for 2 minutes it didnt go off as it usually does in about 5 seconds. I went ahead and started the truck and it ran fine but the check engine light came on and has stayed on since then. We have driven 400 miles and I am assuming that the check engine light is telling me that the pre heat is out. My question is how hard is it to replace the pre heat if that is the problem?
I am going to try and get the error code read Monday or Tuesday. Also what is the approx cost?

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Go to the www.duramaxforum.com and they can answer most problems ,they have helped me out many times,GOOD forum for us Duramax guys
Old 10-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think the glow plugs are fairly easy to replace. One of the guys that works in my shop has an 06 D'max and has replaced them. I cant remember what it cost but it didn't break the bank. I do know if you replace one replace them all. It don't cost much more. If you don't find out what it cost before Monday I will find out then.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Had the same thing, Dave. Took it to dealer , computer said bad glow plug. Easy fix , not expensive.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Thanks guys, that is what I thought, will get it checked later this week.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It is glow plugs and the dealer will cover them for, I think 7 years
They did mine a number of times
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

It is glow plugs and the dealer will cover them for, I think 7 years
They did mine a number of times
They are a 5 year - 100K item. Yours may have been covered after that either because they had been replaced and were still under the replacement warranty, or because the dealer did it out of kindness.

Glow plugs are much like sparkplugs when it comes to replacement. You can buy them on line a lot cheaper than from the dealer. I bought all 8 for well under $100. Dealers also charges a lot to replace them, somewhere around $100 per plug, though it might be less if you get one bank done or all eight. Use a code reader to determine which ones aren't working. If you aren't using the truck, you might want to spray them with a penetrating oil first and let it set a while as they can (and do) rust in. Make sure to coat the threads of the new ones with anti-seize before installing. Like sparkplugs, if you break one off, it can be a real problem. Removing the head to have one drilled out will cost several thousand dollars.

Because of the year of the truck and the fact the glow plug heater was left on for so long, they might all need to be replaced. However, that may not be the source of problem with the glow plug light not going out. The glow plug controller module may need to be replaced which is around $500, I think.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I ask Chris what he paid to replace his glow plugs Like I said in my previous post. He said he replaced one then a short time later another went bad so he had the remaining 7 replaced at the Chevy dealer for "A little over $200". We were using my brothers 06 D'max today and guess what he had a bad glow plug.
I still think a 06 or 07 D'max is the best stock tow truck ever built.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
First thing i have to do is find a repair facility that doesn't want to have their way with me. Since we are on the road that may have to wait till we get to Vegas unless Oz has a guy on the north side that can do the job. It appears as if instead of doing the Clovis NM stop we are heading straight to Vegas via the I-40 south route because of recent white stuff accumulations in the areas farther north. Raytown is not known for their great mechanics. We got our meat today so that chore is done and the meat is vacuum sealed and in the freezer so we just have the luncheon tomorrow then Tuesday we will see what happens..
Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This might be of interest to you: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...ol-module.html
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Dave, one other thought: Check your owners manual. I may have been wrong on the duration of the GP warranty since they may be covered under the emissions warranty (apologies to mtheo!).
Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Mine did the same thing one cool morning last spring. The glow light came on for a few seconds like normal. I then started the engine and everything looked normal. Got half way down CR 19 toward Goshen and out of nowhere, the check engine light came on. It stayed on every time I drove it for several days. Called McCormick Motors in Nappanee and took the truck down. They hooked up the computer and it showed a shorted out glow plug. Don't recall how they knew which one it was but, they got it replaced and all is good! Don't even remember what the cost was but, I'm still here so, it must not have been too painful.

On another note, all you Duramax owners, make sure the fuel filter gets changed on a regular basis. That is a story I won't go into.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
All my warrantys have expired, it is 7 yrs old and I have 140k on it.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
OK, I retract the statement that I retracted earlier. I was at a dealer today and was told the glow plugs for 06 had a 5 year 50K warranty. I'm going to have to look that one up in my owners manual.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Mine did the same thing one cool morning last spring. The glow light came on for a few seconds like normal. I then started the engine and everything looked normal. Got half way down CR 19 toward Goshen and out of nowhere, the check engine light came on. It stayed on every time I drove it for several days. Called McCormick Motors in Nappanee and took the truck down. They hooked up the computer and it showed a shorted out glow plug. Don't recall how they knew which one it was but, they got it replaced and all is good! Don't even remember what the cost was but, I'm still here so, it must not have been too painful.

On another note, all you Duramax owners, make sure the fuel filter gets changed on a regular basis. That is a story I won't go into.
It's real easy to tell which one is bad. If a glow plug goes bad, the ecm will show a code that indicates which one it is. All you have to do is read the code to find out, or take the truck to most places that sell auto parts, and they can read it for you. From what I've read, they are all pretty easy to replace except for one on the driver's side that requires removing the steering shaft.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #16
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Tom, I think that is right. Now that you mention that, I recall the Service Manager telling me that the 'putor told them which cylinder had the bad glow plug. With out hunting the papers, which my wife files away, I'm thinking that it was the number 3 plug that was bad. But could be wrong.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #17
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
If it is a glow plug gone awol, they are relatively easy to replace by removing the inner fender lining. Had to replace one on my 08' this spring. As for having to replace all eight at the same time, I could not disagree more. Glow plugs are not a spark plug, just a heater. Be careful as the hex is a bit smaller than a spark plug. Spray some penetrating oil on it while still warm and let cool-it will leach into the threads.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote