Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
For those with Honda Generators

What to buy. I am looking at buying a generator(s) for my 02 2880RL. I want it so I can power the AC unit and a few lights in case we stop in a place for a night that does not have power. Power wise I know a single EU2000i will not do it, but for the cost I can buy two of them and a connect them for the price of a single EU3000is. I am looking for hands on opnions from people who have used them as to what is the best decision for fuel comsumption and noise while under load. Will (2) EU2000's give me enough power to run the AC and a few lights? How noisy is it? Should I just start with a EU3000i and possible buy another one down the road? Thanks for eveyones help.

northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have an EU2000, and have seen an EU3000 used. The EU3000 was not too noisy, but it is much heavier. If you plan on leaving it in the back of your truck, then I guess it is OK, but if you plan on moving it around much, two 2000's would be much easier to handle. The 3000 looks quite big, probably just as big as the two 2000s. Two EU2000's should not have any problem powering a single AC and a few lights. The science and mathematics of sound are quite complex, but what it boils down to is that noise sources are not simply additive, two EU 2000s are not twice as noisy as one EU2000.

And, for anyone in Canada thinking of using a pair of EU2000's, the Canadian version does not have the connections to parallel them together - you would have ask CSA why not.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Honda has a new 3000 watt quiet generator that is much lighter. Doesn't have electric start but looks to a good alternate to the eu3000. I think the model number is eu3000handi. Google will get the model right. Think the cost is around $2000.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We have the twin EU2000i generators. It provides a lot of flexibility, being able to run only one when that's all that's needed or two when required. The only downside is having to prep two generators for storage, as opposed to one, but that only takes a few more minutes time.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have a Honda 3000 and carry it on a cargo rack on my rear reciever of the Montana. I have the adapter cord to the 50 amp plug in on the 5er. Runs my air just fine, and other stuff.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
A reason we like using two Honda 2000i oppose to a 3000.

It is easier for me to be able to move the generators. I do not have to rely on my husband to be at the trailer if we are at a location where we will need to use both generators. (Except I can not lift the generator high enough to put in the back bed of the pickup, bring it down is easy ...opps!)

Infact the only time we have to use the two Hondas is when we are at a location that requires us to use the air-condtitioner. All other useage only requires the one 2000i.

Really it is a matter of preference.

Best of luck. Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
I have two Honda 2000i. No problems whatsoever and the best part is that I don't look cockeyed when I carry them around!
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I also have 2 Hondas EU2000I with the new parallel power kit, if you but the new EU2000I Companion it has the Parallel power kit already in the gen set and combine that with a EU2000I and a parallel cable you wont have that ugly parallel power kit sitting on top of the one generator, and will be easier to store in tight spaces.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I have two eu2000i generators. One is a Companion model, and the other is a standard model. This combination can be paralleled with just the cable kit. If you get/have two standard 2000's, you have to have an add-on parallel box kit to link them up, and they are a fairly spendy addition on top of the cost of the generators.

At around 53 lbs apiece (with engine oil and fully fueled), the 2000's are a lot easier to move around than the eu3000is, at 157 lbs (with oil and fuel). The 3000 is also slightly taller than the bed rails of a pick up truck. That would be a consideration, depending on if you have a tonneau cover, or not. If you do have one, it may, or may not fit underneath it, depending on what kind you have.

Also, there are the fuel usage differences. A 2000 uses approximately 1/2 the fuel than the 3000 does. Granted, when you run them both, it is about equal to the 3000's "mileage". But, 90% of the time, I only need to use one of my 2000's for my power requirements. If I am sure that air conditioning will not be needed on a particular trip, I can leave one at home. I alternate which generator that I use to balance out the engine hours, and then do the maintenance on both at the same time. I highly suggest getting an engine hour meter for whichever generator(s) you decide on, it's way easier than trying to "just remember" or manually log the usage to determine your maintenance schedule.

The eu3000i Handi at 90 lbs (with oil and fuel) is an option as well, but while it has an attractive weight difference over the standard eu3000, it is considerably noisier than either the eu2000i or the eu3000is (65 dB vs. 58/59 dB) and only delivers 2600 rated watts. With paralleled twin 2000's you have 3200 rated watts of power, the 3000is has 2800 rated watts.

Two 2000's was the best solution for my needs. For you, it could be an entirely different set of criteria that determines what will be the best choice.

Don't forget that there are also other brands of "quiet" inverter style generators that other people have had good results with, as well. Yamaha has a good reputation and track record. Others like Kipor, Honeywell, Boliy, etc., have a loyal following. Do your homework, as all generators are not equal. For instance, some other no-name-look-alikes, even though they have attractive pricing, probably are not inverter type, most likely don't have an established parts & service support network, and so on.

Do your research, take your time, think it over, re-think it again, and then decide which is right for you. That is the only way you will ever be completely satisfied with your eventual pick of generator(s).
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
One thing I will add - stay away from the Chinese knock offs. From I've read, the manufactured dimensions are nearly identical but the material is not, and they don't hold up. Again, this isn't personal experience, just things I've read on other boards.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
Thank you all very much for answering my questions. I think buying two of the Honda 2000's is what will work best for us. I will in the future look into solar panels and there costs and/or possibly a small wind turbine. I really like the green ideas and we as RV's need to lead the way to keeping the environment clean for our children to enjoy for years to come. Thanks again everyone for your input and hopefully we will see you at one of the meets....

Happy Camping!!!!

Scott
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I just bought a new Honda EU2000 Companion. Do any of you use the 30AMP plug when only using one generator,
or do you only use the 20AMP plug. I was thinking of running a 30AMP cord from the Honda to my 50 to 30 Adpt.
I would like to know what others do.
Thanks
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I will run my 30 amp plug in the parallel power connector
Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You can certainly do that. I would just so I don't use another adapter to convert the 30amp to a 20 amp.

Just remember with a single Honda EU2000 you won't get anymore than 20 amps maximum peak rate, but probably around 15-17 amps run rate when talking about how much electrical supply the one generator will provide. I have heard testimonials that some have actually been able to run an A/C with a single generator but I wouldn't do it. Just because the motor is running doesn't mean it's running correctly. Please be careful when running electrical devices under minimal power - this can cause a brownout and damage anything with a motor in it (fridge, A/C, etc.) I've heard this from others who have tried to do this and something broke because it was not run under its optimal current or voltage.

The other amps would have to come from the generator connected with the parallel cable.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I just want to keep everything charged up and use the TV`s somtimes.
I also think I got a good deal at $1,004.90 total.
Thanks
Ron
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #16
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

I just bought a new Honda EU2000 Companion. Do any of you use the 30AMP plug when only using one generator,
or do you only use the 20AMP plug. I was thinking of running a 30AMP cord from the Honda to my 50 to 30 Adpt.
I would like to know what others do.
Thanks
Ron
I use the 30amp plug, but be aware that the 30amp plug is not on a conventional circuit breaker. It is, however, protected from gross overload and short circuit somehow in the inverter circuitry.

From the Owners Manual: "If the generator is overloaded, or if there is a short circuit in a connected appliance, the overload indicator (red) will go ON. The overload indicator (red) will stay ON, and after about four seconds, current to the connected appliance(s) will shut off, and the output indicator (green) will go OFF. Stop the engine and investigate the problem."

The generator will still supply power in the range between the rated watts(1600w, or 13.3A @ 120V) and peak watts(2000w, or 16.7A @ 120V), and that is where you need to concerned, as it can damage the inverter if you exceed 30 minutes of doing so.

From the Owners Manual: "Power levels between rated and maximum may be used for no more than 30 minutes."

and,

"Substantial overloading will open the circuit protector. Exceeding the time limit for maximum power operation or slightly overloading the generator may not switch the circuit protector OFF, but will shorten the service life of the generator."

Plugging in to the 20A receptacle does not hold any advantage of protecting your generator either, as the 20A circuit breaker exceeds the limits of a single eu2000's output anyway.

The bottom line is, you have to know what your amperage draw is, and the only sure way of knowing this is to have some sort of realtime power monitoring system in place. Even if you are paralleling two eu2000's, you can still over load them. There are simply so many combinations of different equipment demanding the available amperage that it is near impossible to figure it in your head, even if you do know what the amperage usage that each device requires. Then, throw in starting amperage on the AC, random off and on variable demands from the converter depending on the charge and condition of the battery(ies), how many DC lights are on, etc. Yes, you can mitigate some of these large demands by not using certain appliances at the same time, or turning off the breakers to others to prevent them from being used "accidentally".

Tripping the breaker to the converter can eliminate some of the randomness, but usually when you run the genny, you are also trying to charge the battery. That kind of defeats the purpose, so it's not really a solution. For instance, to use the microwave, you should turn off all other demands and flip the Eco-throttle to the off position on the little Honda so it is running at full throttle before using the MW. My Sunbeam micro/convection oven is rated at 1450W(microwave)/1400W(convection), so that and one 100 watt light bulb puts it near the top end of a single eu2000's rated output of 1600 watts. Throw in the converter kicking on, and you are overloading the genny.

I know this goes a little farther than your particular needs and present usage, you should be fine for what you are using it for, but you still need to be aware of the capabilities and limitations of your single eu2000.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
KTManiac, excellent post. People don't think about how fast watts add up, especially on the 12 volt side of the house.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
KTManiac
Thanks for all the information,I will try very hard to remember
all that when we use the generator.
Thanks
Ron
Old 11-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Excellent information shared. Thanks
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #20
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
just go out and buy the eu6500isa. You'll never have any issues about running anything. Its very quiet and the eco throttle is a geneous idea. The only downside to it is that its very heavy and you need 2 people to lift it. But then again, once you remove it from the truck, it has wheels and fold down handles to move it around.
dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote