Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Upgrading TV and adding soundbar - 2021 Montana

Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading the entertainment system in our new 2021 Montana 3790RD. I'm a bit disappointed at the quality of the components as new, but this will be our winter home, so upgrades it is!

I'm thinking of replacing the TV with a new 50" good quality one. Any suggestions on model? (I like Roku, so might look at a TCL Roku model, but any and all suggestions welcome!)

Then, for the soundbar... any suggestions on model?

But, perhaps most important, where do you place the soundbar? I'm thinking there might be 3 possibilities...
1. On top of the TV lift, so it would go up and down with the TV. I'm concerned this may overload the lift mechanism though. Anyone with experience on this? Bad idea, or maybe ok?

2. On the counter in front of the TV. But, of course, then the TV would have to be raised about 3" so that it clears the height of the soundbar. I think there is room to mount the TV higher up on the lift mechanism, but I also think I would need to build a base so that it "rests" on that when lowered. Again, anyone tried this?

3. Remove the tinted glass, remove the built in stereo, and install a new soundbar into the cabinet above the fireplace. I think if I got a "smart" soundbar, like a Sonos, then I may not miss the stereo at all. Thoughts on this?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions, but I did search and didn't come up with exactly what I'm looking at. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Old 06-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We have Furrion televisions in our Montana (bedroom and living room) and they have worked really good. No issues at all. However, they are not "smart" TV, meaning they do not access the internet.

In our home we have 3 Roku televisions, each one a different size, and all 3 have worked great, including access the internet.

So, we decided we wanted a small portable television for the camper, so we could take it outside, and without realizing it, we picked up a small Roku for $88. (really .... Wall Mart) when we were camping last year. We purchased a small sound bar, that was nothing more than a gigantic earphone with an earphone jack, and the $88 Roku television actually had an ear phone jack! Bingo-Bango! We just got lucky, because we didn't plan this. The little sound bar worked great when watching television outside, until it died!

Well, we have a Bose sound bar in the house and we ended up getting a sound bar for the camper bedroom for the Furrion. Turned out, the Bose worked better in the camper bedroom, and the 1/5th el-cheap-o sound bar we got for the camper actually worked MARVELOUS in the house. So we swapped them.

We can also hook up both televisions up to the Bose sound bar in the bedroom. The Furrion uses the HMDI cable, the Roku uses the fiber optic cable. So, when we want to watch those internet stations, we just flip on the Roku.

We have a Visible phone with a modem attached for our internet service. Works absolutely great.

We we move outside, we just pull the Bose Sound Bar from the bed room, set it up outside and have fun annoying the neighbors! We don't have base speaker with it, but that sucker is so loud, it makes the entire trailer vibrate and the ground shake 100 yards away! (OK, I'm exaggerating here)

I suppose what I'm trying to say here in the midst of all this rambling, we really like the Roku televisions and the Bose Soundbar.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We have a Bose Solo sound bar purchased at Sams in 2017 for our former RV. Bought a Samsung TV in January and sent the stock Insignia to goodwill. The sound bar is small and It sits on the shelf behind the TV. There is enough space under the TV for the sound bar remote to work.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #4
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Our model Montana has the disappearing TV that goes into the desk. We replaced the Jenson 50" with a Smart TV of the same size and use a Polk Sound Bar. The sound bar rests above the TV on the top trim piece and we put the wireless subwoofer behind one of our reclining chairs. Sounds great. For any DVD's, we got an LG blue disc player. The blue-tooth sound sound bar and subwoofer is great for pairing it to your phone, so you can listen to your own music or Pandora.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Our model Montana has the disappearing TV that goes into the desk. We replaced the Jenson 50" with a Smart TV of the same size and use a Polk Sound Bar. The sound bar rests above the TV on the top trim piece and we put the wireless subwoofer behind one of our reclining chairs. Sounds great. For any DVD's, we got an LG blue disc player. The blue-tooth sound sound bar and subwoofer is great for pairing it to your phone, so you can listen to your own music or Pandora.

Thanks all for the feedback!

@bartman - I was thinking of placing the soundbar on top of the TV also; ours is the "disappearing" kind also, only across the back window on our floorplan. I was worried that the extra weight of the soundbar on the TV lift mechanism may cause issues.

Have you had any issues raising and lowering with the soundbar on top?

Also, which model Polk soundbar? Any idea on it's size and weight?

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 08-20-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
Rvreno.

M.O.C. #29459
Cool Montana needs a quality assurance dept.

Check out the factory install work on the surround sound system for a 2005 Montana. Sweet!!! What a POS job they get away with putting these rigs together. Don't they take any pride in there product. Have they ever heard of Quality assurance.l doubt they have improved much since 2005. How does Montana get away with charging over 90k for an aluminum box lined with cardboard and put together with 10,000 staples & 10,000 screws😫💸
Rvreno. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
Rvreno.

M.O.C. #29459
Thumbs down

2005 Montana factory install for the surround sound speaker bar. Montana seriously needs to take s look at there quality assurance issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_220303345.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	9982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_215140839.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	9983  
Rvreno. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
When traveling we remove the soundbar and just rest it on the floor by the desk. The motorized unit has no problem raising or lowering with the soundbar on it.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote