Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Acid Reflux

My doctor has suggested that I elevate the head of the bed in the trailer about six inches to reduce the acid backing up. Has anyone done this? Suggestions? I know, I left myself wide open.
Thanks
lcarter

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Funny, I thought the batteries were in the front cargo bay!
Oh! You mean for YOU! My suggestion is to cut the plywood that supports the mattress and put a hinge on it. You could then adjust it as needed with support rails/blocks on the frame of the bed. Just thinking...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would regulate your diet, lay off the spicy foods, and try the over-the-counter meds like Prevacid.
Speaking from personal experience...
You could also get one of those wedge pillows.
To answer your original question, just get plywood and build a wedge for your bed, maybe even your side of the bed, you could line it with foam and make the size of a king size pillow, just slip the pillowcase over it and there you is!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Get tested for Sleep Apnea. I had terrible acid reflux. Got tested and fitted for Apnea machine, no more reflux. Just a thought. If you snore, you are a candidate. Maybe my suggestion seems strange, my Dr. said that when I tried to breath and the soft palate restricted the passage that I was drawing acid up the esophagus. Remember, I'm a truck driver, not a Dr. and all I know is how wonderful it is to be free of acid reflux. Good luck. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
We have raised the head of the bed by putting 2-3 swim noodles, side by side under the mattress.
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
OK, my area of expertise!! I was a pharmaceutical sales rep for 30 years, and part of our product line included at various times, antacids (long ago) and proton pump inhibitors.

Short answer is yes, raising the head of the bed will help, but it is not the ultimate answer. Proton pump inhibitors are THE state of the art treatment for acid reflux disease in the current market. Taken every day over time they will reduce the production of acid and solve the acute problems. Studies have shown that ALL people over the age of 60 that take a NSAID (most oral pain relievers) on a regular basis should take a proton pump inhibitor every day. Acid reflux can strike anyone, and is not always painful, a fact which few of you probably know, and can cause life threatening conditions. Examples of proton pump inhibitors (PPI's) are Prilosec, the original, Protonix, Prevacid, and Nexium. There are some others as well. Nexium alone, at least as of three years ago when I retired, was the only one that had studies that showed that it actually healed acid caused damage. DW and I both had developed reflux problems, and were taking multiple doses of Pepcid Complete each day. We started on Nexium 5 years ago, and now only use a single PC every 6 months...in other words, almost never. A good PPI could be all you ever need.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Walt, what about the news that the PPI's cause brittle bones, or something along that line. That has concerned me, so I stopped taking the daily pills and only take one when my acid reflux flares up, which is seldom now.
Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I have to admit, I have been out of the loop for three years, and am not up to date on the bone issue. Carol is is osteopeanic, but the doc has not said anything about concerns for her bones, so I guess she is OK for now. The problem with what you are doing goes back to the way PPI's work, and the pathology of acid reflux. PPI's do not give immediate relief of symptoms. You have to stay on them for a period of two weeks before they give the desired result. Once you build up the blood levels you are home free...unless you stop and start. Miss a few days or a week or two and you have to start over. The real problem is, as I tried to elaborate earlier, you can many times have reflux with no symptoms. No pain. No knowledge that the acid is eating away the lining of your GI tract. So by waiting until it flares up to restart the meds, you could have significant damage going on and just not know it. A gastroenterologist's opinion is your best bet, and yes, the theories and facts do change over time, but for my money if you have had frequent reflux in the past, you are over age 60, and you take even just an aspirin every day, you should take a PPI every day. Forever. If the pain has gone away, fine, but stay on the med. The studies I have seen were convincing. Talk to a GI man to get the latest scoop!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I take Nexium and have been for 3 yrs. Its been a great med in my book. One thing you will find out is when it gets to that 3 yrs. you been taking it, you have to go in for some blood work and testing before the Dr will give another refill. Think its the criteria and safety issue for the drug. Excellent med!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I went back to the package insert on Nexium to see if there are any new things to worry about. The label seems to be the same as when I went out. I did not see any reference to brittle bones. There may be reports in the medical literature that suggest bone problems, but there is nothing proven or the label would change. Liver involvement at high doses is a concern, and for that reason liver function tests are done every so often. As we both are also on statins for cholesterol we get our LFT's checked every 6 months anyway. So far, no problem.

Remember, I was paid to sell this stuff. I'M happy to share what I know, but your doctor should be your best bet for info on what is best for you.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is what I was referring to:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ActiveA...2754096&page=1
Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #12
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
and lets not forget, if the reflux is chronic, get the EGD (scope) done. A PPI like Nexium is great for acid suppression and will help with healing, but if there is something more serious going on, it can mask those symptoms. I put my new reflux patients on a PPI for 2 months, then take them off, and if the symptoms return, the scope is ordered. A good precaution. Acid reflux can lead to a condition called Barretts esophagus which is precancerous.
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Thanks HikerDoc for a real MD opinion! Ozz, the article you attached is a single study from 2006. Furthermore it is a retrospective analysis, meaning they went back and viewed old patient charts and base their findings on statistical information, rather than start a study from scratch and observing each patient over time...which admittedly takes a LOT of time! Not saying they art wrong, but it is obvious that no other researchers ever duplicated their efforts, which would be done to prove the theory, because the Nexium Rx info still has no warnings or mentions of bone loss. Yes, they COULD be right, but so far the science says only a big MAYBE. I'd think 6 years after the study, with no more proof, probably not. JMHO.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great information from you two MOC members, just one more reason to love this Forum.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #15
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I also had the scope done, and exactly why my Dr put me on Nexium. Whats works for one is not neccesarily good for the other.

Good luck, cuz that stuff is no fun!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #16
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Ozz,
Diet, no spicy food, exercise? I know I could do these things but I like the put something under the head of the bed solution better. Thanks for the help and the reflux lesson. I take a PPI everyday. Our bead at home is elevated about 6 inches at the head of the bed. I suppose another solution is to simply jack that side of trailer higher. NOT!
lcarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
LCarter,
Back to the OP, there are wedges on the market that you can purchase. With a wedge on top of the mattress you would only be elevating yourself and not your partner. I think I remember seeing them in Brookstone, or even Wally-World. You may be able to search for foam bed wedge on the internet and find them.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I had one of the worst cases of Acid Reflux that my DR had ever seen and I wound up having surgery last April for it. I was living on Protonix at the time and had been for years. Since the surgery I have no more reflux and I don't take any more pills, and I can now eat anything that I want. The problem with the pills is that they only mask the problem is what my DR told me. According to him it could eventually lead to esophageal cancer in some cases. Full recovery takes awhile, but in my case I am glad I went through it. I love hot Mexican food, and now I can eat it with no repercussions. Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
This stuff is nothing to mess around with! It doesn't have a terrible sound to it but it can truly be a killer. I'm still fighting with mine. In January finally had a scoping done and it showed I have (and have had for sometime) severe Gastritis. This stuff may have helped cause my erratic heartbeat problem. Left untreated ----- Well I don't want to even go there. Meds and diet alteration have made significant improvement. I also have the Sleep Apnea problem. Use the CPAP machine all the time. I doubt I could even take a nap without it! Unfortunately the use of the machine did not make any improvement on the Gastritis (Acid Reflux) problem. Nexium is my first preference for treatment of that problem. Prylosec is my second choice and what I can afford when I fall into the donut hole!

Anyone suffering from Acid Reflux MUST get it under control. Rich I am happy to hear that surgery took care of your problem. So even the "worst" cases can be resolved! What exactly did they do? Was it the removal of the acid producing ducts? If you don't mind sharing. Stay healthy. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I guess the elephant in the room here is something called a "hiatal hernia" that allows stomach acid into the esophagus. Medication can control it but some have surgery. It can be the cause of esophageal or larynx cancer. Been there done that and it was high adventure for 6 months. Been good for 6 years and take my nexium every night. You be careful out there. It's more fun to talk about pin weight, huh!!
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote