Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
stabilizers

I'm in the process of making stabilizers for our unit. I have the front one's about done, but, I have a question about the making then for the rear. I have hear some installations place the stabilizers from the center to the foot pad and others from the foot pad towards the front and connect to the frame. Any info would be a great help. I do have a few pics in the link in my signature. the heading is 2012 3625RE.

kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I built mine also Kevin and they turned out about the same as yours. But I never did put any on the rear, please let me know if you got a big gain out of the rear ones you put on. My guess would be go to the center then to the jacks. Eliminate the side to side movement. The only real way I know of that totally eliminates the movement would be to take the tires off.........lol

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
When I mounted my JTs on the rear I ran them from foot pad toward front to frame. Seemed to function real well. Left them on former 3400 when we traded.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
JT's and knockoffs brands have you bolt the rear stabilizer bars center to foot pad. Some have run steel angle or square tube between the main frame I beams for something to attach the stabilizers to. That being said, I bolted mine forward of the foot pads like previously mentioned. It worked OK for me also.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My rear stabilizers are connected to the rear center. I did install a square tube from side to side to mount those.
Seems that side to side wiggle at the rear would be more of a problem than front to back wiggle. Connecting to the center would better address the side to side direction.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Just a question here. One of the fivers I had didn't have the drop front frame and had the longer front legs. The other one I have has a drop front frame and the legs are pretty short. It seems to me that the shorter legs on the front don't really need the stabilizers like the long leg ones. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Just don't think my stabilizers work like they used to on the longer legs, which makes sense in a way.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
The single Steadyfast that we installed in the rear of the unit goes from one of the stabilizer footpads across to the frame on the other side. There are two more braces in front. One in the front is the same as the one in the rear and goes from a footpad to the frame on the other side and the other one in front goes from the same front footpad back to the frame on the same side as the footpad. So, in the front there's one that goes across and one back and in the rear there's one that goes across. That's it, just 3 braces and their system works very well for us. Hope this helps.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote