Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #21
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
PLEASE stop buying Fords!!! Your driving the price up LOL

Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #22
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Not wanting to high jack the OP thread but as you are familiar with CA, would I have any issues towing my 40ft 3740FT up and down the PCH especially around the Redwoods and Bay Area? I have a 19’ 3500HD Duramax DRW. I’m speaking specifically to the tight switchbacks but also include your opinion on the grades. Thank you! I’m green as grass.
Detroit Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #23
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
I think you will have a lot of trouble towing that long of a vehicle on the PCH. Some of corners are so tight that you will have to go in the oncoming to get round them.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #24
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Don View Post
Not wanting to high jack the OP thread but as you are familiar with CA, would I have any issues towing my 40ft 3740FT up and down the PCH especially around the Redwoods and Bay Area? I have a 19’ 3500HD Duramax DRW. I’m speaking specifically to the tight switchbacks but also include your opinion on the grades. Thank you! I’m green as grass.
We summer in the PNW every year (NorCal) and I can tell you from experience that 101 from Petaluma all the way to Port Orford, OR you'll have no trouble whatsoever. There are some 6 and 7% grades but nothing that a diesel can't handle with aplomb. Don't worry about pulling over for faster traffic as there are lots of passing lanes. There are some tight turns along the way but none that will put you in the other lane to negotiate. Just pay attention to the speed limit signs. Most have flashing warning lights. There are also a couple of spots with high concentrations of Elk in the area. They do amble across the road so take you'll want to that into consideration.

That being said there is a tight section where the redwoods literally touch the asphalt so you'll need to cross over briefly to be safe but they're on straight stretches so you can see who's coming. There is a section between Klamath and Crescent City where they're moving the road over due to a slide. It's a stoplight regulated one way with concrete barriers on both sides that's the most intimidating but not at all challenging if you take your time.

To put your mind at total ease full size tractor trailers and logging trucks run the road all the time.

It's a road trip you'll never forget.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #25
Detroit Don
Established Member

M.O.C. #27312
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
We summer in the PNW every year (NorCal) and I can tell you from experience that 101 from Petaluma all the way to Port Orford, OR you'll have no trouble whatsoever. There are some 6 and 7% grades but nothing that a diesel can't handle with aplomb. Don't worry about pulling over for faster traffic as there are lots of passing lanes. There are some tight turns along the way but none that will put you in the other lane to negotiate. Just pay attention to the speed limit signs. Most have flashing warning lights. There are also a couple of spots with high concentrations of Elk in the area. They do amble across the road so take you'll want to that into consideration.

That being said there is a tight section where the redwoods literally touch the asphalt so you'll need to cross over briefly to be safe but they're on straight stretches so you can see who's coming. There is a section between Klamath and Crescent City where they're moving the road over due to a slide. It's a stoplight regulated one way with concrete barriers on both sides that's the most intimidating but not at all challenging if you take your time.

To put your mind at total ease full size tractor trailers and logging trucks run the road all the time.

It's a road trip you'll never forget.
Great answer! Thanks so much. My wife and I have traveled that road on our motorcycles many times but I’ve never considered how folks get it done towing a big 5’er.
Detroit Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
You're very welcome. Congrats on your new rig.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #27
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Hwy-101 is a great road! I just returned from Florence OR to middle CA on it. Just pay attention to the signs and you will be good. There are redwoods right next to the road in the Giant Redwoods area but you have room. As stated above, this is a major route for logging trucks and semis with 53' trailers. You will be fine

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #28
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
First... I absolutely don't care what truck people drive. It's their money and decision and I have virtually no ego regarding the subject. The whole "my truck is better than your truck" discussions are a complete waste of time, about as juvenile as they come, and almost always end up being carried on by a couple of people with obvious issues.

Second...There is no such thing as a trouble free vehicle. Nathan Moss from Less Junk More Journey had nothing but trouble out of his Dodge that ended up costing him over $3,300 out of pocket right off the bat.

Third... There are lots of "hot shot" people that have chosen Fords over and over again to make a living. I can assure you that if they were as bad a you contend they would not be doing that.

Personally I wish people would stop the whole truck "measuring" thing and find another subject to fill their time.
People learn a lot from others experiences with trucks, it's not about ego, unless your offended - then it's about YOUR ego. Ram has the best engine, 6.7 Cummins. Chevy/ GM has the best trans, Allison, etc. Everyone agrees Ford's suck. None of that's debatable. It's the gospel of HD trucks.

Nathan, from LJMJ, bought a used truck, unknown to him at time of sale, that had the factory suspension removed. It most likely had an aftermarket suspension, like a Kelderman, that the previous owner took with him when traded/sold when it started showing emissions codes (common on all brands). I would have made the dealer replace the truck. No one buys a dually 3500 that has a 1500's payload capacity. Point is, it's a bad example of problems to point out.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #29
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandBrenda View Post
I think you will have a lot of trouble towing that long of a vehicle on the PCH. Some of corners are so tight that you will have to go in the oncoming to get round them.
Yep - we found that out the hard way with our 3820FK. But, there is a great KOA on the Mendocino coast. There were some massive Class A's in there so I must have come in from the wrong way,
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #30
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
People learn a lot from others experiences with trucks, it's not about ego, unless your offended - then it's about YOUR ego. Ram has the best engine, 6.7 Cummins. Chevy/ GM has the best trans, Allison, etc. Everyone agrees Ford's suck. None of that's debatable. It's the gospel of HD trucks.

Nathan, from LJMJ, bought a used truck, unknown to him at time of sale, that had the factory suspension removed. It most likely had an aftermarket suspension, like a Kelderman, that the previous owner took with him when traded/sold when it started showing emissions codes (common on all brands). I would have made the dealer replace the truck. No one buys a dually 3500 that has a 1500's payload capacity. Point is, it's a bad example of problems to point out.
That is a totally false statement.

I've got better things to do than argue ad nauseum about tow vehicle brands. If that's your thing then have at it but I've said all I'm going to say on the subject.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #31
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sad to see these posts go into a nasty direction, all three make good vehicles and yes sometimes you get a lemon from all three. First question is does the manufacturer stand behind their product? If so all is good. I think Ford is the only one that actually manufactures their own engine and transmission. Some don’t manufacture either of those. Please be considerate of other members by not slamming other manufacturers no matter what you think. McRod I still have never heard everyone agree on anything let alone on who makes the best HD pickup truck. I used to have people call me when I was a school board member saying everyone wants this or doesn’t like that. The funny part was everyone else never called to verify it.

Regards.

Tom Marty
Old 10-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #32
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
Sad to see these posts go into a nasty direction, all three make good vehicles and yes sometimes you get a lemon from all three. First question is does the manufacturer stand behind their product? If so all is good. I think Ford is the only one that actually manufactures their own engine and transmission. Some don’t manufacture either of those. Please be considerate of other members by not slamming other manufacturers no matter what you think. McRod I still have never heard everyone agree on anything let alone on who makes the best HD pickup truck. I used to have people call me when I was a school board member saying everyone wants this or doesn’t like that. The funny part was everyone else never called to verify it.

Regards.

Tom Marty

I agree with the above. Decades ago, IMO, there were some lines that differentiated the pickup lines. That has been gone for many, many years. Everything now is totally subjective in what one person likes, thinks is important etc. All of the big 3 make absolutely stellar trucks in every respect from an objective point of view. Some like to find a "niche" and rant on another manufacturer - it's not necessary...or warranted. Like what you like, drive what you like....seems good to me. If "the other guy" says "abc makes a great xyz", that's his opinion and he is entitled to it; go with it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #33
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post

Then stop buying Fords so i dont have to pay through the nose for a new truck. Chevys are just ugly and Dodges are built cheap.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #34
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
The truck discussions are always never ending. At least we can all agree it comes down to just three manufacturers. They are all so close in performance and features it just comes down to personal preference and prior experience. I'm a Chevy/GM guy, but I do like the looks of the Dodge and Fords. I've just always stayed a loyal GM customer because I've never been left stranded on the side of a road for a mechanical breakdown. On the west coast, I do see more Chevy/GM's towing 5th wheels than the other two. But on the other hand, out here most all of our tow companies, and businesses that are using 3500-4500's for hauling vehicles with gooseneck hitches, they are exclusively using Dodges with little to no problems. And those Dodges are running 24/7. I think the most important is finding a good dealership with great customer service. It's the customer service that will have people returning for their next vehicle purchase.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #35
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
That is a totally false statement.

I've got better things to do than argue ad nauseum about tow vehicle brands. If that's your thing then have at it but I've said all I'm going to say on the subject.
Your right. It is an obviously false statement. I just wanted to check your ego. 🤭
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:12 AM   #36
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
All three brands now make good reliable TV's. It's really down to taste and brand loyalty. Cut the best deal, get the engine you love or the biggest/baddest computer screen, it really doesn't matter.

Personally I believe Toyota has the best built most reliable line up and out does all the big three. I just wish they would come out with a 1 ton HD truck. I would buy it in a minute.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:15 AM   #37
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
The truck discussions are always never ending. At least we can all agree it comes down to just three manufacturers. They are all so close in performance and features it just comes down to personal preference and prior experience. I'm a Chevy/GM guy, but I do like the looks of the Dodge and Fords. I've just always stayed a loyal GM customer because I've never been left stranded on the side of a road for a mechanical breakdown. On the west coast, I do see more Chevy/GM's towing 5th wheels than the other two. But on the other hand, out here most all of our tow companies, and businesses that are using 3500-4500's for hauling vehicles with gooseneck hitches, they are exclusively using Dodges with little to no problems. And those Dodges are running 24/7. I think the most important is finding a good dealership with great customer service. It's the customer service that will have people returning for their next vehicle purchase.
I have noticed dodges towing gooseneck trailers loaded with cars around here all the time. For the most part they don't look like nice trucks. To me those are the stripped down model and cheaper than Ford and Chevy. Maybe that's the reason. I have never seen a Ford or Chevy towing cars down the road.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:23 AM   #38
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The saying is Ram is a $30k powertrain in a $10k truck. I have found there to be some truth to that. With that, if I were to replace mine with another one, it would be a Ram and accept it for what it is. It has been the best tow vehicle I've had. If not for towing I'd get a Jimmy.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #39
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
I owned Ford trucks since 1979 and toss in 3 Toyota’s as well. Only one Ford gave me problems and that was a 2017 F150. It was Lemon Lawed and bought back by Ford due to a vibration in the driveline they couldn’t fix.
Next year I’ll be shopping for a diesel to tow whatever fifth wheeler we end up buying. Dodge isn’t a good option for me as the local dealer blows. But then again, make me a deal I can’t refuse and I’ll consider it.
However, I might consider a new Chevy/GMC if the price is right. Being brand loyal makes little sense in the current times.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #40
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The mileage you get depends on several factors, terrain and speed are the main ones. All of these trucks have the same size engine with Bosch fuel systems and are pulling a 12,000 plus sheet of plywood. They will get very close to the same miles per gallon pulling in the same place at the same speed. You may get 12 MPG if you drive slow enough on flat land. Follow me and you will not get 12. You will be lucky to get 10 and probably not even that.
Lynwood
Mlh, The duramax has a Denso fuel system since 2017 with the l5p motor. I think GM got tired of blown up CP4 fuel pumps.

Fare warning to all Ford guys, Ford still uses the CP4 pump which is known to explode and destroy the entire fuel system in the process.

If I am not mistaken, Dodge has now gone from the CP3 to the CP4 pump on the newer trucks.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote