Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2020, 05:41 AM   #1
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Furnace and AC Remote

I have an Atwood Furnace and AC with a remote control. The remote isn't functioning. Can the remote be replaced with the normal thermostat?

jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What year Montana do you have? The only remote thermostat I know of came with 2004 -2006 Montanas. There used to be a replacement. They may even exist today. I will find the information if you have the Infared remote thermostat.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our HC has an Atwood AC and furnace with a remote control and a wall thermostat. I only use the wall thermostat. I had enough of remote controls with our 2010 Montana.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
What year Montana do you have? The only remote thermostat I know of came with 2004 -2006 Montanas. There used to be a replacement. They may even exist today. I will find the information if you have the Infared remote thermostat.

I have a 2006 Montana. I would just as soon replace it with a thermostat. Wondering if anybody has done that. If you find the remote information please let me know.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is a long Thread about that infamous thermostat, its issues, and its replacement (including part numbers). There were a lot of pictures but PhotoBucket and TinyPic ruined them. Note there were replacement parts in early 2010. I don't know if they still exist but Dometic will.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ead.php?t=8145

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #6
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Remote

i was able to find and download the manual on the remote. The dip switches on the remote were not set properly. Once i changed the settings and reset the remote everything works fine. Have not tested the temperature settings to see if there is a problem with that. The control unit is wired with telephone wire and connections. Since i got the remote working, for now i'm giving up on rewire for a thermostat. If have more problems in the future will explore that option.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Update on the Dometic Remote control. Shortly before leaving on a long trip the remote quick communicating with the control panel. Rather than mess with it any more I replaced it with Dometic Comfort Control 2 thermostat. Its overkill since we only have one zone, but it is a great thermostat and easy to use and program. The control board in the AC needs to be replaced to make everything work, however, the furnace will work without changing the control board. After an 1-1/2 Hour wait on the phone with Dometic, a very pleasant and very knowledgeable lady gave me the part no. needed for the replacement board. She was supposed to send me installation instructions, but never did. She did recommended buying it from Amazon for the free shipping. The new board does not have installation instructions with it. Recommend that anybody who still has a remote, replace it now. It's junk.

I took pictures of the wiring of the old board before removing it and was able to install the new one easily because of that. The challenge was figuring out witch dip switches needed to be turned on to make the system work. There are 10 of them. After trial and error the correct switches were turned on and everything works great.