Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #21
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I had a window shatter on a 305RL - at that time there was some discussion about stress within the glass it self and given the right conditions would break itself ...

Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #22
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
I had a window shatter on a 305RL - at that time there was some discussion about stress within the glass it self and given the right conditions would break itself ...

That's true but not really very believable on an almost 7 year old 5er that's been across country twice, 3x to the Canadian Maritimes and several times to Maine and 'living' in weather from -15 to +110F. Mighty suspicious when you get a call from the CG 1.5 hours after leaving that a broken window was, amazingly, found while mowing the lawn. Hehr has its problems but mostly leaks and fogged double pane glass from my "research".

When all done, not a really big deal since insurance paid most of the replacemet cost,. Just a royal PITA to source then R&R.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #23
Rockstar48
Established Member

M.O.C. #28290
Another Window Breakage story

Well, it was our turn with the mystery window break on our 2018 High Country HM375FL. The double window next to the “driver side” entrance stairs just “broke” on its own. We had left the unit about 2 hours prior to receiving a call from the RV park that it looked like the lower pane window had “exploded” outward. Nothing / no one hit it from what we could tell. About 90% of the glass on the lower pane had dropped in pieces to the ground. My gut feeling it that it was a faulty glass or installation issue. But.... we just bought it from a private party - so we’ll most likely be out of luck for warranty replacement. And... the unit is being located permanently at a lake RV park, so our ability to take it to a dealer is not possible. We’ve called our local trailer sales / service people to fix. Anybody have any guesses as to how this happens? It’s right next to the “driver side” rear entrance door, so could there be any “torque” issues around the door ‘ window area? Just flailing out a guess..... Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72F9CCE4-B94E-4B78-A9B5-F8C9B648AA5F.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	8937  
Old 04-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #24
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I had the same issue. Mystery break, found it at the end of a days drive. It took me a couple weeks to figure out the part number; Keystone would not help. Once I did, I checked with a few dealers; price was similar to what you found; $800+; shipping more than the part. No one would commit to a delivery time. One offered to save some shipping by having it put inside a new RV; if one was ever going to be delivered to them; please.

I took it to a local glass company, they ordered the tinted glass, sent it out to be tempered and installed it; about $200. The tinting is perfect. They were great to work with and I bought local. My only issue is, in the right light, the glass is "wavey". I can live with it.

I'm glad you got yours fixed. I never thought about insurance; should have.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghc48@gmail.com View Post
Well, it was our turn with the mystery window break on our 2018 High Country HM375FL.

The part number is on the INSIDE of the clamp ring and is accessed only by removing a bunch of screws, and in my case it was 38 to 40. You will need the entire number that's on that sticker. You do need to hold the window in place while you access that sticker as the weatherstripping is single sided adhesive. I used a good roll of 3m commercial grade duct tape across the window. Oh yeah, I'm assuming the window is a Hehr as that's what Keystone normally uses, but .....

You can try a local dealer but if reasonably handy, a DIY project. I ordered ours from Duncan Industries, an LCI company. I'm 90% satsisfied with ours and if you have read my last post, that while the glass is not a 100% match, close enough plus their $12 INSTALL kit was not enough material.

It took 30 days to order and ship. You do need a commercial address as a ship to.

For inside protection, I duct taped 10 mil plastic over the window frame. Don't let duct tape sit on the side walls unless as it will leave a nasty residue thats tough to remove.

If that is an opening vent window, that has a couple brackets that will need to be reattached after cleaning the remaining glass and Hehr's adhesive and not a fun job and something a local shop might not want to do. Locally, no one wanted to do ours so I ended up with an entire new window, luckily covered by insurance

If I can help with more words or suggestions, just ask either on the thread or by a PM..
Old 02-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #26
cghsatx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22453
Broken front cap glass - cold weather or vandalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I got a phone call yesterday from our CG owner about 2 hours after we had left our Montana. The maintenance guy while mowing found that we had a broken window. Amazingly, they said it could NOT possibly have been a rock kicked up by that high powered, high speed bladed mower. I can't argue that point since we weren't there but have a very special term starting with the word "Bull".

My wife walked around the camper once and I did it twice to check for open windows, turn off the water and check hatch locks It is covered by insurance so it wont hurt too much besides the inconvenience

Now, the point of this thread - has anyone found an on-line source for replacement glass only. Many, including Trekwood will sell complete windows but in a so far cursory look, haven't found a glass source yet. I'll be checking the local glass companys as well, but chance of finding the right color may be slim. If it ends up that I need to replace the entire window, Hehr, in their wisdom, has put the part number on the inside of the frame - grrrr

Another project is looming, whichever way I go

Went out to my 2019 3731 located on a country 5 acre lot and found the glass in the entry door laying on the steps, with some glass inside and some on the steps. Most of what was left of the window was outside. The screen had a t shape cut about 3 inches in the lower left but door still locked. Walked around and saw the front cap glass still in place but 2 round "smash" areas where the glass was pushed in. No rocks or bricks laying around, no other damage and nothing inside or outside of the RV missing. Any chance this could be settling/stress, or as I think, vandalism?
cghsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #27
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I would guess vandalism. These frameless windows pretty much float with the rubber seal around the outside acting as shock absorber. Settling probably wont cause a problem but major temperature changes in a short time might - but this is tempered glass much like the windows (except the windshield) an you vehicles which seldom mysteriously break and dang strong unless a rock or hammer whack it and pretty hard. Of course with a San Antonio hail storm. anything could happen as one of our daughters found out a couple years back.

Hope your insurance folks are good for it - these are not inexpensive to replace even as a DIYer.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #28
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
You can let the insurance company source it are you can contact Affinity RV Group in goshen they will have a source for you
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is online now   Reply With Quote