Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Hamming it Up & RC Toys for Big Girls & Boys
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Getting ready!

When I was growing up - over a hundred years ago, if you listen to my kids - the neighbor two doors up had a huge ham set up and tower. When I say huge, it had come out of a radio station and was over 7 feet tall, and about 4 feet wide. Sometimes we'd listen to him over our TV. Over the years, I often thought about getting my license, but the CW aspect held me back. I'm not saying I couldn't learn it, I just didn't want to. They eliminated that requirement, but I just let time go by. A few weeks ago, the bug bit again, and I've signed up to take the Technicians test on the 20th of this month. I took a practice test and scored 97%, so I'm pretty confident I'll pass.

When I get my license, I'll come back and post it. Then I guess I should start looking for a radio!

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We'll be rooting for you. Never too late to follow your dreams.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Good for you.. I got my first license in '57 as a Novice. Had to take the code along with a tougher test to become a General.. Traveled all the way from Baton Rouge with two buddies to New Orleans to the FCC.. that's how you did it then. Well, they passed and I flunked the code.. choked.. got flustered. Years later I got my tech license.. but, that had a code requirement too. Later on, got to liking code and got the general and advanced.. wanted to go for Extra.. but, figured the few extra privileges wasn't worth the effort. I liked to chase DX.. long distance.. Have 130+ countries logged.. and quit DX'ing for awhile.. may get back again.. It's a fun hobby.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Test taken - and passed! 100%! Now onward to get my General.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Holy cow Greatwhite! When you got your license I was 2 years old. I don't think I was talking much less being able to use a radio. I'm still impressed by anyone knowing Morse Code. I do know many "HAMmers" hear probably know Code since this was prevalent with HAM Radio operators.

Okay Tom, some 'splainin' please. I'm not a "HAMmer" so what is CW in your first post? In this forum I am used to CW meaning Camping World but in this case it just don't seem right in my mind. Congrats on passing the first part of your license. I guess it's never too late, but much of the learning at my age is my new hobby at the Golf Club! I might have to give that up and switch to radios.

Forgive my use of "HAMmer" since I don't know what to call Ham Radio enthusiasts. Please correct me on the slang, please.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Continuous Wave - CW. It it doesn't peak your insterst stay with camping world!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339

Art, CW, to me, is fun. Sure, even the military deleted it from need.. but, at times, voice will not get thru as well as CW to the person on the other side of the world. It's great for contests.. as it's fast. Funny thing. I never forgot the code. I find myself going down the highway and see a sign and I start translating it in code in my mind. I'm not nearly as fast as when I used it daily.. I can send relatively fast.. but receiving is a bit different. Much slower. Just like getting used to a "foreigner" speaking english.. you have to listen. Every sender has a different "fist" or swagger in how he/she sends. Once you get used to it.. you can have a fun conversation. Kinda like getting used to a Brit with a cockney accent.. once you have it .. you don't have to say.. "what????"
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art: CW is short for Morse Code. Why didn't they use MC? Cause MC Hammer said "you can't touch this!".

Actually, Dennis answered your question. Morse code uses a Continuous Wave signal that forms the dots and dashes. Oversimplified, but you get the idea.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Maybe a silly question but is there a really good source (website, etc.) besides the knowledge here that tells you exactly what you need to do to become a ham radio operator (licensing, etc.)? When I saw John Kohl's setup while visiting with him in Sioux Falls it was impressive and looks like a fun and very woth while hobby.

Les
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Test taken - and passed! 100%! Now onward to get my General.
Congratulations. --... ...--

Les, American Radio Relay League (ARRL) is a great foundation.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Les, as always, John is spot on. I joined and purchased ARRL's book on getting all three license classifications. You can also find the ARRL books on Amazon, and might even run across a used one there - but make sure you get the most current edition, as they change the books and the test every so often. I think the current Tech class expires in 2014.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #12
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Thanks John and Tomfor the tips. I will certainly look into those and one of these days will be communicating with you guys on the road.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GreatWhite

Art, CW, to me, is fun. Sure, even the military deleted it from need.. but, at times, voice will not get thru as well as CW to the person on the other side of the world. It's great for contests.. as it's fast. Funny thing. I never forgot the code. I find myself going down the highway and see a sign and I start translating it in code in my mind. I'm not nearly as fast as when I used it daily.. I can send relatively fast.. but receiving is a bit different. Much slower. Just like getting used to a "foreigner" speaking english.. you have to listen. Every sender has a different "fist" or swagger in how he/she sends. Once you get used to it.. you can have a fun conversation. Kinda like getting used to a Brit with a cockney accent.. once you have it .. you don't have to say.. "what????"
Generally sending CW code is easier than receiving. As a former Naval radiioman, we had to attend 6 months of school and learned to send and copy over 30 words per minute using our fist. Speed keys of course allowed great send rates but required Naval certificates to use such a key. True you never lose the code however, my speed and concentration have certainly diminished over the years. Code is not used much anymore either.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

Thanks John and Tomfor the tips. I will certainly look into those and one of these days will be communicating with you guys on the road.
Les, the test question pool for Amateur Radio is open source. Therefore the questions can be found in the back of the books. That is the reason Tom suggested having a current edition. There are plenty of on line question pools also.
If you want on great book for Ham Radio besides the study books I recommend the ARRL Handbook. It will expand on just about any question you would have when studying for your license and a great reference after.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Congrats Tom! Being a VE (Volunteer Examiner) its always great to see the expression on the applicant's face when we say "you passed"!!

I've been a ham since 1967, hold an Extra class and yep gang I took the novice, & general when the CW requirements were 5 wpm for novice and 13 wpm for general. But I too, was relieved when I took the Extra and didn't have to deal with more code. Still use it and find it relaxing listening to WWV practice sessions.

Les, one of the best ways to "see" first hand is check out your local area Ham club's Field Day activities which will be coming up next month. Most have opportunities for you to "Get on the Air" right there!

We are getting close to full timing here and still looking for the ultimate HF "Montana Antenna"!

Who knows, maybe a "Montana Net" !!

Alan WA0SKN
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Alan,
I use a TarHeel screwdriver antenna. Here is a link to my photos.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
Thanks for the pics John!! Now the wheels are grinding in my head how I am going to get going on a new antenna project!

Alan
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #18
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Hey John, fantastic job on the antenna!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
OK, time for an update! My call sign is KB1TOM. In two weeks, I'm taking the test for General class. I haven't decided on going for the advanced yet, as I'm not sure the added benefits are worth the extra effort. We'll see.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #20
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Tom, Congratulations on getting your ticket. Two weeks and going for your general ticket. That's impressive and hope you do well.
By the way, have you looked around your local home place to see if there might be a Amateur radio club. I did Google and looks like there is one in Waterford. Reason is this week end is ARRL Field Day and most clubs are competing someplace and they would love to have you come out and work some bands in GOTA (Get On The Air) for extra points. It is a lot of fun and you will get experience working some of the radios and how contacts are made. Careful though, it will feed the Radio bug for new equipment bug.

73's Randy
KK4CRL
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote