Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #21
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike, curious if you got your weekly averages calculated. We ordered our 3230CK with Super Solar and planning on an April delivery. With all of the LED lights, curious what you found the strip lights to draw. We usually have the TV/satellite and a few lights on, and of course the fridge and water heater (on gas).

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #22
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Hello Rames14,

No, unfortunately my first boondocking trip is not scheduled until early April. I did list a bunch of power draws at the beginning of this thread. The LED accents lights were the biggest user for lights at 6 amps.

I have completed the install of 6 dimmer knobs to reduce this consumption some as the lights are all quite bright anyway. Each dimmer requires 4 wires and these run down to the control panel in the basement (~15 ft) Following Keystone’s lead I did not label anything but they follow the same sequence as the control panel with one more for the pendant lights.

Best, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59404CA7-EEF7-41DD-A3BB-2AA44C817ACE.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	8271  
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:48 AM   #23
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Nice install. Looks complicated. What gauge wire?
Old 01-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #24
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Good question, I chose 12ga wire from a chart that said I could run 75 ft with 6 amps at 12 volts. I added 30 ft to what was probably 25-30 ft factory run so I figured 12ga was good. The accent lights are by far the biggest draw at 6 amps, the rest are half that or less. With the lithium batteries I get more like 13+ volts so I think that helps too.

The dimmers smoothly reduce the draw from 6 amps all the way down to less that 0.5 amp before the lights turn off. The dimming action is smooth with no fluttering. These dimmers are rated for 8 amps @ 12v.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The install was a challenge but there is a lot of room to pull wires to the basement through the wall behind the control panels. Each dimmer is 4 wires +/-, in/out, so that’s 20 wires or 10 pair to the basement the pendant light switch is upstairs. The InCommand panel wiring is very accessible and well labeled. I can take a pic of the wiring mods there if you like.

The light switch systems still work the same way as before and I can leave the dimmers where I want them.

Best, Mike
Old 01-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #25
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Very nice, high quality install. I have a lot of things to get done before I tackle that. Probably one of the first, depending on how the in-Command system tank Gages work, is to do a SeeLevel gage system. I’m guessing they used the same tank probes as before. I am hoping they are able to locate the solar on the 3230 so that we don’t lose as much basement. Probably adding basement LED lights will be one of the first mods. I also need to build a bench for the wall side of the dining table to store dog food and such. Plus, all the people like you with additions I never thought about before.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #26
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Yep, same old probe system on the tanks. I plan to at least calibrate the levels with a hose and water meter. You only get 3 probes, my old Prowler had 4.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #27
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Mike,

Very nice upgrade!
Like Ron, I am seeing a lot of "improvements" in my future.

Thanks for showing your great work!

Ron & Rhonda
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #28
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
Good question, I chose 12ga wire from a chart that said I could run 75 ft with 6 amps at 12 volts. I added 30 ft to what was probably 25-30 ft factory run so I figured 12ga was good. The accent lights are by far the biggest draw at 6 amps, the rest are half that or less. With the lithium batteries I get more like 13+ volts so I think that helps too.

The dimmers smoothly reduce the draw from 6 amps all the way down to less that 0.5 amp before the lights turn off. The dimming action is smooth with no fluttering. These dimmers are rated for 8 amps @ 12v.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The install was a challenge but there is a lot of room to pull wires to the basement through the wall behind the control panels. Each dimmer is 4 wires +/-, in/out, so that’s 20 wires or 10 pair to the basement the pendant light switch is upstairs. The InCommand panel wiring is very accessible and well labeled. I can take a pic of the wiring mods there if you like.

The light switch systems still work the same way as before and I can leave the dimmers where I want them.

Best, Mike
Hi Mike,

This is a great post!
I would really like to see pictures if you can post them. This is a solution I have been working on without success.
I reached out to Montana and InCommand to check on availability of dimmers. Basically, InCommand does offer dimmer modules that will then show up in the display. However, these are not available aftermarket, and as of a couple months ago Montana has no plans to incorporate them.
I like that your solution with rotary knobs can actually work, as I had given up.

Thanks in advance for anything further you can share!
Brad
Old 01-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #29
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Ok let’s take a look on the back of the InCommand cover. See the first picture below. Each light group has 4 wiring positions. #1-Switch input (not used), #2-12v 15amp input from fuse panel, #3-GND (two wires connected, one from the fuse box and one to the light, #4-12v output to the lights. See my first sketch below.

The dimmer works using pulse width modulation (PWM) which means it actually turns the power on and off very rapidly. The higher the percent on time vs off determines the brightness. What this means is that you have to feed both + & - to the light directly from the dimmer. It is not like a switch where you can break into the + only and have common grounds.

Remove the wires from the GND and 12v output. Determine which of the two grounds goes to the light by following the 12v output back until you find where the two are joined. Follow the GND to the light back to the connector and cut that one off the connector. Reconnect the one GND back to the panel.

Pull two double wires from the dimmer to the control panel. Connect the dimmer input to the GND and 12v output on the panel. Connect the dimmer output to the feed line to the light. See my second sketch. I used blue wire just to be different.

The last picture shows the final wiring at the panel. My InCommand system was installed upside down for some reason (the logo on the cover is upside down). No idea why but as you look at this photo the wiring positions go up as you go up the strip (backwards from the sticker). So you will see two sets of new wires. The new blue 12v output goes to the dimmer + input. The new blue/black wire is added to the GND position and goes to the dimmer - input and the bottom 12v input is unchanged.

I hope this is clear and helpful.

Best, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	059DB8A6-B3A6-455E-8C0C-B852C791BAD4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	8273   Click image for larger version

Name:	928805EB-44F7-4D5C-AB77-C16D01E90B0E.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	8274   Click image for larger version

Name:	054F64DF-DBFE-43AB-9ECB-277EAF74EDE2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	8275   Click image for larger version

Name:	466311F9-1CFC-4AB2-BB3E-EED15F1A07B8.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	8276  
Old 01-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #30
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
Ok let’s take a look on the back of the InCommand cover. See the first picture below. Each light group has 4 wiring positions. #1-Switch input (not used), #2-12v 15amp input from fuse panel, #3-GND (two wires connected, one from the fuse box and one to the light, #4-12v output to the lights. See my first sketch below.

The dimmer works using pulse width modulation (PWM) which means it actually turns the power on and off very rapidly. The higher the percent on time vs off determines the brightness. What this means is that you have to feed both + & - to the light directly from the dimmer. It is not like a switch where you can break into the + only and have common grounds.

Remove the wires from the GND and 12v output. Determine which of the two grounds goes to the light by following the 12v output back until you find where the two are joined. Follow the GND to the light back to the connector and cut that one off the connector. Reconnect the one GND back to the panel.

Pull two double wires from the dimmer to the control panel. Connect the dimmer input to the GND and 12v output on the panel. Connect the dimmer output to the feed line to the light. See my second sketch. I used blue wire just to be different.

The last picture shows the final wiring at the panel. My InCommand system was installed upside down for some reason (the logo on the cover is upside down). No idea why but as you look at this photo the wiring positions go up as you go up the strip (backwards from the sticker). So you will see two sets of new wires. The new blue 12v output goes to the dimmer + input. The new blue/black wire is added to the GND position and goes to the dimmer - input and the bottom 12v input is unchanged.

I hope this is clear and helpful.

Best, Mike
That is awesome info, thanks Mike!

Brad
Old 03-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #31
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike, how much room do you need to access the In-Command module. Looking at a MorRyde storage tray. I have 38” from the front of the In-Command module and 42” in front of the solar access panel. Thinking of going 36” wide tray. Also, I have an appointment with Matt at Future Sales to install my truck-RV charging. It will also give me an opportunity to ask questions.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #32
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Hi Ron,

You only need 2” to get the panel off the In-Command system in the basement. I had to do some dremeling on my cover as it would not go on properly. The factory had it attached with only the top of the two thumbscrews with the bottom sticking out I have 32” in front of mine and am looking a 29” tray which would fit my bins perfectly. I took off that additional inch to be sure the tray will clear the corner of the hatch opening. You can’t mount it flush with the front wall.

Best Regards, Mike
Old 03-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #33
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Great, our unit is at the dealer in Iowa. They will be installing all of my goodies the next two weeks - Winegard Travl’r, Winegard Gateway, SeeLevel Gages, Valterra Valves, RV Lock, Door Shade and moving our WasteMaster Sewer Connection to the new unit. Taking a couple of weeks to shake things down. Figured while we’re visiting our daughter in the Chicago area we’d do a couple of days of Harvest Host in Goshen area. Getting the charging system installed and the tray. ARP Fridge Defender in June. Then I made a lot of woodworking projects to install. Need some LED lights in the front basement, so I’ll wire that with a toggle switch. A year to get ready for Alaska and the Canadians to open the borders.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #34
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
We finally went on our first boondocking trip, 5 days in the NC mountains near our favorite trout stream. This was the first real test of the Super Solar system.

On day one I started with 100% battery and left the inverter on all day and night, although I did not use too many 110vac loads. It was quite cold in the morning, 25-35 degF, so the heater ran extensively at night. I was surprised to see less than 50% battery left after the first day and a half. The fan on the heater uses a lot of power (~ 14 amps). I ended up turning off the inverter unless we wanted to run an appliance, like to make coffee. This saved a lot. I got to the point where running just the heater fan would draw the batteries down by 20-25% over night.

We had really sunny days, not a cloud in the sky the whole time. There are no leaves on the trees yet but I was in the shadow of some tree limbs. I was able to charge the batteries by 20-25% each day so was able to strike a balance getting the batteries up to 50% during the day and then down to 25% by morning.

Lesson learned, use the inverter only when necessary then shut it off.

If we had cloudy days I would have been in trouble with the cold weather. I am now considering a Honda EU2200I for back up power. This small, quiet unit has plenty of power for charging the batteries at full clip of about 100 amps and I would only have to run it for an hour or two every second or third day.

Best Regards, Mike
Old 04-11-2021, 06:35 PM   #35
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Super Solar

Hello everyone, this is my very first post and I want to thank Mike for inspiring me to jump on. My wife and I are planning on retiring in June 2022 and after searching for the last few years I think we have settled on the new 3231CK as are first ever (and hopefully last) RV (need to also buy my first ever truck). Really liked the 3121 as the 35’ length preferred, but the bathroom on the 3131 sold us. Anyway, although we have only rented a few times in the past, as we plan on 6-9 months a year on the road, we plan on exploring boondocking when we can, and are planning on getting the Super Solar. I wanted to thank you for all your posts so far, please keep us updated on your experiences with SSF with observations, recommendations and ultimately if you are happy with the option (it is expensive).

I am curious as to what the SSF weighs compared to a standard Legacy edition? What impact on CCC? Do you think using a residential fridge will have a significant impact?

Finally, I saw that another post is getting a 3230 in April, please show us all pics of what basement looks like with SSF, it seems to take up a lot of room on the 3120 model.

Anyway, we can’t wait to make this big move and start the next chapter of our lives, SOOO much to learn for a newbie!
Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #36
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Robokatz, welcome to the forum. This may be the first photos of a 3230 Super Solar. The basement is quite a bit wider with this model than the 3120. I believe the 3120 is only about 24” wide where the 3230 is 42” (38” in front of the In-Command module). We hope to do our PDI this week if they fix an In-Command issue.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #37
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Super Solar

Thanks for the pics, still takes up a lot of room but seems like it leaves a much larger basement than the 3120, and without a generator you also have entire front storage area (I guess if I need a small back-up Gen like Mike is planning on that is perfect place to store). We really hope to actually see a SSF in person, fingers crossed that the factory tours resume this summer, certainly worth the trip from CA to see in person. By then 2022 might be out, maybe the panels will again be upgraded to 1500 watts? Hope so!

We look forward to meeting other Montana owners next year, this is all new to us so ton of questions. We had settled on a Vanleigh Beacon, but when I heard about the solar that changed everything, and the 3230 floorplan is amazing. Thanks again.
Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #38
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
By the way, Mike and lots of other members are very smart people (ladies included). This forum is the reason we are moving into our 4th Montana. With almost 30,000 members, if you have a problem, chances are good that someone else has also and you can find a solution here. Make sure you choose your dealer wisely. Best of luck.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:37 AM   #39
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Hello Robokatz,

I cannot tell you the exact weight of the SSF system. I can tell you that my dry shipping weight was 13,020 lbs compared to the 12,056 lbs of a standard 3120RL. So a difference of 964 lbs. This also includes Legacy stuff such as power cord reel, fiberglass rear cap and disc brakes. I hope this helps!

Best Regards, Mike
Old 04-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #40
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Robokatz, welcome to the forum. This may be the first photos of a 3230 Super Solar. The basement is quite a bit wider with this model than the 3120. I believe the 3120 is only about 24” wide where the 3230 is 42” (38” in front of the In-Command module). We hope to do our PDI this week if they fix an In-Command issue.

Nice Ron, and congratulations.

By chance have you looked to see if the factory hydraulic system comes with the 80A or does it still come with the 50A breaker?

Enjoy the new rig, sad your in-command is having issues but glad it's been found on the lot vs on your maiden voyage.

Allen