Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Lug Centric v Hub Centric Wheel Balance

Occasionally a discussion arise about balancing RV tires and wheels. Some say "don't bother, you will never notice anything", and others say "absolutely balance them". Then the balance fans ask what kind of balance should I have done?" Here is a description I posted some time ago.
=================================

Hub Centric Vs. Lug Centric. Hub Centric Wheels are centered by the center bore of the wheel and the hub flange. Lug centric wheels are centered by the torque of the lug bolts; rather than the center bore of the wheel and the hub flange. There are two distinct types of wheels found on today's cars and light trucks

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two designs is to look at the hub of a hub and wheel assembly. If the hole in the center of the wheel fits snugly against the hub, then it is hub-centric. If there is a gap between the center hole of the wheel and the hub, then it is lug-centric.

Many of today's aftermarket wheels are Lug Centric in design. The center hole of a Lug Centric wheel is not the true center. These wheels cannot be properly mounted and accurately balanced using the normal cone mounting system that came with your wheel balancer.

Many Lug Centric wheels may appear to be mounted correctly with the center cone system, but they cannot be accurately balanced. The wheel balancer will continue to either "chase weights" or the wheel will show signs of imbalance when re-mounted on the vehicle.

To ensure an accurate balance, Lug Centric wheels must be mounted on the balancer through their lug bolt pattern. Lug Centric wheels, when mounted on the vehicle, are centered by the torque of the lug bolts and not the center bore of the wheel.

The only way to properly balance Lug Centric is through their lug bolt pattern. This style wheel must be mounted to the computer balancer in the same manner as it is mounted on the vehicle...through the lug bolt pattern.

=====================================
Being a tire balance fan and having heard the Sailuns are heavy and hard to balance, I had all of mine balanced when I recently replaced them. I was in a hurry and couldn't find anyone around with a Lug Centric adapter, so I went with a Hub Centric balance. And sure enough they took a fair amount of weight
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel - Weights Hub Balanced.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	13262

I removed one wheel and tire for another project and decided I would have that tire re-balanced with a Lug Centric adapter at a shop I found with the right knowledge and tools. I expected a little (maybe a lot less) weight would be needed. To my surprise they actually took even more weight. But the tech assured me they are dead on balanced. I will wait to see how this works out before I do all the other wheels. It does affirm my belief that the wheels and tires need to be balanced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lug Centered Balance.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	13263

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:22 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
I remember this discussion well Carl. As I remember, the biggest issue was finding a knowledgeable shop with the prerequisite lug centric balancer equipment. I was taken aback to see how much weight it took to properly balance your tire / wheel combo. This definitely makes me suspect on the balance of our tires.....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Thanks Carl, excellent write up.
I'm a believer in balancing tires. Next time I have mine off I'll check to see if the are hub-centric or lug-centric.
So far I have just been going with hub-centric balancing.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote