Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > PREVIOUS ANNUAL MOC NORTH AMERICAN RALLIES > 2022 Annual North American Fall Rally
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Glenna
Established Member

M.O.C. #21213
Stolen bikes at rally

We had 2 bikes stolen from under our front cap during the rally. My insurance is denying the claim on the basis there was no damage to our vehicle or RV.

I'm looking for information regarding other bikes that were stolen. Police reports filed, security cameras, etc. Anything to try to bolster our case that the bikes were stolen and not just mysteriously disappearing.

Thank you for your assistance.

Glenna Jones

Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:39 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Sorry for your loss.
Online sales: check FB Marketplace, join bike sales groups on FB, check Craigslist. Use a generic “bike” search term and remember: small modifications may have been made to throw you off. Sometimes you will note sellers listing frequently: your bike may show up sometime in the near future.

This was shared on another FB group to register your bike.
https://project529.com/garage

We park ours under the front cap too. I have a 12' cable I run through the bikes frame and the pin box and a big fat lock. Then I put a heavy duty BBQ cover over them to keep the dust off.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We've had a few things stolen over the last 37 years of camping and for the last few years, we make sure everything is put up at night .... everything, and all the outside cubbies are locked. It truly is a pain in the neck, but it's the only way to keep things from getting stolen.

Unfortunately, times are changing. I feel your pain.

It makes you want to just take the dirt bags and push their face in a puddle of mud!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
walked?

45 years of camping never a thing stolen until Myrtle Beach camping in one of those Mega campgrounds. Both bikes stolen from under the nose one night. Called security they said it is happening more and more now and to lock up everything. This current crop of youngsters have no morals and their intitled parents don`t find fault with anything they do. They just wait to see your camper gone before they bring out the stolen items.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #5
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
We’ve been staying at a large RV park in Arizona for the last 8 months, while waiting for our house to be built. Most of the people staying here are long term residents doing the same. Although we do lock our door when gone, I don’t always lock the storage compartments, and we leave lawn chairs, BBQ, and other stuff out, as do most people here. Never had a problem (so far). I guess some areas are worse than others. But it is a good warning.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:57 AM   #6
ter5898
Established Member

M.O.C. #28506
I thought it was announced at one of the first Rally meals that 2 other bikes were stolen also. So sad that this happened. Good Luck Glenna!
ter5898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:04 PM   #7
BWDscotty
Established Member

M.O.C. #30488
Bikes would not be covered under auto or RV insurance without a rider on the policy. They would be covered under homeowners or a personal property policy. State Farm has a really reasonable personal property policy rate. Cameras, drones, bikes, etc. $10k policy for about $100/yr.
Not quite a full-timer
BWDscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:36 PM   #8
PamBates
Established Member

M.O.C. #30034
Charlie (don’t have a last name) had 1 stolen also. He was in spot 290 next to us. Find him in the rally book.
Trident Etrikes
PamBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #9
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenna View Post
We had 2 bikes stolen from under our front cap during the rally. My insurance is denying the claim on the basis there was no damage to our vehicle or RV.

I'm looking for information regarding other bikes that were stolen. Police reports filed, security cameras, etc. Anything to try to bolster our case that the bikes were stolen and not just mysteriously disappearing.

Thank you for your assistance.

Glenna Jones
Glenna, were they locked? If so, did the thief leave behind the cut cable or lock? We're they Ebikes? We have a policy on our Ebikes from State Farm for theft, since they classify them as a moped. I even run full coverage on them during the summer months when we ride them more. I feel bad for you cause you feel violated that somebody had the gal to come into the campground, come to your specific site, and rip you off. All I can say is karma.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
So sorry to hear that. One of the reasons we really like our 381TH, we just lock everything up in the garage. Hopefully out of sight out of mind. Surprised Montana stopped manufacturing those models!
Old 09-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We stay in a very nice and well managed RV resort in Florida for the winter with our Monty. Unfortunately, the surrounding neighbourhood is somewhat sketchy. Everyone in the park is told to lock up everything. We have a big Kryptonite lock for the ebikes. We even chain up the barbecue. We’ve never had anything stolen, but others have because they didn’t heed the warnings.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:33 AM   #12
Knot2worry
Established Member

M.O.C. #22356
Hi,
Charlie Dana here. When you try to follow-up with police ask to speak to ordnance officer. He is in charge of cataloging bikes that are turned in.
Wish you luck but I’m not to optimistic about getting mine back.
Charlie
Knot2worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #13
hoffmann13.5
Established Member

M.O.C. #14233
I hate to hear of thefts like this. I hate a thief with a passion!
As far as posts about compartments being locked, 30 years ago a seasoned RVer turned me on to locks that are the same style as vending machines with round keys. This after he walked up to my rig and opened my basement door with his key... still as they say "locks only stop honest people", a determined thief can easily pry open a compartment door. Examples are on Amazon, I just saw a 4 pack for $25 under "tubular cam lock"
hoffmann13.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:02 AM   #14
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Another good item to help with finding bikes or other expensive gear is the Apple Airtag tracking device. For $28.00, they work pretty well. My son who is a cop, was able to recover someone's stolen trailer with the use of the Airtag device.

https://www.apple.com/airtag/
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:10 PM   #15
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Sorry to hear about your loss. With our ebikes we use multiple locks on each bike and we only use the high end ones that are bolt cutter proof. Leaving in a week for our last trip for the year and now im thinking of adding those apple luggage trackers to each bike.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:25 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny B View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. With our ebikes we use multiple locks on each bike and we only use the high end ones that are bolt cutter proof. Leaving in a week for our last trip for the year and now im thinking of adding those apple luggage trackers to each bike.
A good thief can pick a lock in little time but there are locks that can’t be picked. Medeco makes locks for home security and pad locks that CAN NOT be picked. They used to offer $10,000 to anyone that could pick one, never had to pay out.
Medico locks are on most of the high level buildings in DC including the White House.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote