Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Richfaa's bird

Are these birds like your bird?
We went to the Garden Of The Gods on Easter Sunday afternoon in Colorado Springs and a young lady had her two birds there, and jogging with them on the trails. They were very tame. She was training them to sit on a big stick she held while she jogs with them.
They were sitting on a fence here, while she rested.
These had a few orange feathers under the white ones on top of their heads. They could raise those feathers up and stick out.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those are the same birds.Umbrella cock-A too.Ours(Dusty) is the size of the one the left. That the head feathers stick up is why they call them Umbrella. Ours is very tame also except with me then it is a viscous killer bird. It loves to camp. When we start packing the camper it will start repeating Bye Bye..Bye Bye till we get it in the camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We met a couple in AZ last year, parked next to us. Their bird loved to camp too. He would say,"On the road again" while they were traveling. They had a motor home so he would talk to them all the time. He had a quite a vocabulary.
What does your bird say besides bye bye?

The one on the left in picture is a male and smaller one is female. The lady said.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
This isn't on the bird topic, but the strangest animal I ever seen camping was a monkey of some type. We were camping in Cripple Creek Colorado and there was a family with a monkey in a stroller. My daughters were much younger at the time and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Beautiful Birds!!
I used to camp with a Yellow Nape "Popcorn" One time I took him to the on a hunting trip I had all his toys and round play Ring, the one thing I did forget about is my Popcorn is part of the food chain for birds of prey like Mr. Hawk, Mr. Owl, and Mr. Falcon. at first I didnt know or think anything about dangers, untill I saw my bird looking up above the trees at Mr. Hawk who was Eyeing Popcorn up for dinner. I was lucky it could have been a great loss to me and my children if something would have happened to him because of my ignorance.
If that lady is teaching her birds to stay on a stick while joging she better watch out for birds of prey while running.

Just a thought.

TT2
Old 04-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The cock-A too does not have a large vocabulary like the African Gray,Dusty has about a 20/25 word vocabulary. Take a bath, go to bed, Love you. Hiiii, Richard (that's me)beep, beep beep that's the stove timer. When it sees a dog it barks.And when Helen yells at HER(we think) it will run off a string of.."words"...don't know where it picked that stuff up??? Of course Dusty is a young bird 10 years old..they live to be 80. We have a coopers Hawk that will sit on our back fence and eyeball Dusty when she is on the deck and once took a dive at Helen while it was on her shoulder..it missed.... They are very, very loud and when it gets into her Jungle calls we have to wear ear plugs in the house. Right now it is dowstairs on top of the cage. Helen just left for Chorus practice and it is calling Richard..Richard..Richard..It either wants something to eat because I am a easy touch or it wants to bite some part of my body. They are great Campers...
Old 04-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We met a nice couple in a Montana when we were at Seven Points CG last week who had a green parrot. By the time we were ready to leave, the bird was imitating our belly laugh. I'm not sure if it was mine or Glen's. It was very funny but also a little unnerving. The owner said he liked us?????
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh yes Dusty does that also..Ha Ha..Ha..Ha.Must be easy for birds to mimic.If we are down in the FM laughing at a Tv show she will be upstairs laughing along. Parrots are NOT talkers, they do not think , they do not reason..they do mimic and some are better that others. Of Course Helen think's the bird is a person and talks to her..It has never answered..People and their pets.???
Old 04-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This bird we met in AZ was a green one, so I guess it was some kind of parrot. He was very talkative.
Yes that lady should watch for birds of prey. Garden of the Gods would be a great place for them to hang out.
It was a sight to see her holding that stick in front of her while jogging with the two birds sitting on it.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:41 AM   #10
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The cock-A too does not have a large vocabulary like the African Gray,Dusty has about a 20/25 word vocabulary. Take a bath, go to bed, Love you. Hiiii, Richard (that's me)beep, beep beep that's the stove timer. When it sees a dog it barks.And when Helen yells at HER(we think) it will run off a string of.."words"...don't know where it picked that stuff up??? Of course Dusty is a young bird 10 years old..they live to be 80. We have a coopers Hawk that will sit on our back fence and eyeball Dusty when she is on the deck and once took a dive at Helen while it was on her shoulder..it missed.... They are very, very loud and when it gets into her Jungle calls we have to wear ear plugs in the house. Right now it is dowstairs on top of the cage. Helen just left for Chorus practice and it is calling Richard..Richard..Richard..It either wants something to eat because I am a easy touch or it wants to bite some part of my body. They are great Campers...
Rich ...

If this isn't the premise for a new "situation comedy", I have never heard one!!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #11
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We had a Double Yellow Head and a Yellow Nape Parrot...They are hysterical...Tony the Double just to say Jennifer (my daughter)telephone when the phone would ring. Both of them sang tiny bubbles. They had a huge vocabulary. People couldn't figure out who was in the house screaming. I also had a blue and white parakeet at the same time and I had it in one corner of the room. One day I came home from work and I could hear this little voice saying "Iam a green bird." Those parrots taught that parakeet to say that. Funny thing is the parakeet was blue and white...Cracks me up. Those birds are so neat. As far as not being thinkers, when someone would come to the door they would yell come in and when someone was leaving they would tell them goodbye and to come again...So I don't know but these two birds seemed to know what was going on...I want to get another one. If I do, it will be a yellow nape. For years I use to raise birds. But gave it up when it got bigger then I did. I had a personal friend that raised Macaws. He had a contract with Alpha Beta. One of his Macaws was in their commercials. It would say Al-pha Beta....Macaws don't talk much but this one managed to get those two words out...Comical is all I can say about owning one...
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Those birds must have some kind of reasoning in their intelligence. I have a friend who has a small green parrot and it says, "no peas, want corn" very appropriately.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sometimes you wonder about their intelligence but they are birds..they do not think or reason as human beings do..They mimic anything and everything. If they say it they heard it ..somewhere, somehow.They are fun to have and you never know what they may pick up.
Dusty and I don't get along all that well..but we manage.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have a friend who has several Macaws (my favorite) who talk a blue streak. One day one had an infected feather and she had to treat it, the Macaw pecked her. As she was cleaning up the birds wound, she also was attending to her wound. The Macaw said, "Sorry".
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
Montana_4423
Established Member

M.O.C. #4423
We have a problem and hope someone might be able to help. Suzanne and I have to visit her mother in Montreal in May and must leave our 3295rk in Plattsburgh NY, along with our cockatiel "Buddy" who is 4 years old. We'll be gone about 5 days and are stressing big time about leaving him. Anybody know of a bird sitter or reliable place to board him while we're across the border?
Montana_4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Kathi,
We both had a good laugh about your birds. Especially about the "I am a green bird." That was so funny!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #17
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
WLParry ... we don't have a bird, but I would think your vet (if you don't have a designated vet, then any vet listed in the phone book) would be able to suggest a "bird-sitter" or have some idea where you can board your bird.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote