Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2023, 07:25 AM   #21
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
Just a quick update we are on the move. I’m trying to get a remote tech to come fix our RV but nobody was anywhere near us so the other option was to tie up the leaf springs. We. Tried tying up the axle leaving the tire off but The tire and question was a rear tire so once we pulled the jack from under the body of the RV the whole RV drops down to the hydraulic jack so that is not doable. So instead we limped 40 miles an hour back to local trailer shop and they installed four new leaf springs all together , some of the others were also bent. We are now safely up in Carlsbad and I want to thanks everybody for all the help we really could’ve done this without the Montana forum members.

Lhinkle114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 08:21 AM   #22
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
thats great you are safely back on the road. it can be very stressful when things like this happens, but you have no choice but to make a decision and stick with it. would you care to mention the shop who did the work and if you were satisfied with there work and price of it? it may come in handy for everyone
thanks and happy safe travels
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:34 PM   #23
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
We were on our way to the repair shop over 60 miles away limping into to El Paso when we pulled off on side of the road to use our RV restroom and while sitting there right in front of me on 160/81 highway there was a trailer repair/sales right in from of us. I went in and talked to them and they got the trailer in right away. They had two people working on it for two hours and recommended replacing all four leaf springs. When all done I almost fell over because I could not believe the total. All the work came to $265.00, unbelievable I questioned it and the Mike the Supervisor said no its right. The name of the business is Red Barn Trailers oddly enough located on Montana Ave the address is 14961 Montana Ave El Paso Tx 79938
Old 02-26-2023, 09:15 AM   #24
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Wow! Glad to hear it all worked out and you got a great deal! I would have guessed that price would be per wheel or that 2 was a 7!

As a newbie on this forum, I’m amazed at so many helpful members responding quickly with excellent advice!

Happy travels!
Old 02-26-2023, 10:44 AM   #25
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
I think the guy being military felt bad for me and gave me a huge military discount
Old 02-26-2023, 10:52 AM   #26
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
I think the guy being military felt bad for me and gave me a huge military discount
Old 02-26-2023, 04:55 PM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I dad a similar problem. I was in Montana going up Bolder Hill and heard a loud boom like a shotgun looked behind me and couldn’t see my camper the turbo hose had blown off. My wife ask what are we going to do? No problem I have turbo hoses with me. I looked where they were supposed to be and they weren’t there. We were 50 miles from a Ford dealer. A young man brought his family after work to help and had us back on the road in 15 minutes. He was rewarded very well.
Do a Google search for Bolder Hill web cam and you will see exactly where we were.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 08:59 PM   #28
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
Glad you are repaired & able to continue on. This last summer, while enroute to Alaska up the Alcan Hwy, we came across a triple axle FW on the shoulder between borders. And to our surprise it was a buddy whom I worked with in Naples FL. Small world. His rear springs busted and axle shifted chewing up both rear tires. After assessing his situation, I drove to Tok and picked up several leaf springs & of various sizes & extra spare wheel, then drove back to him and we fixed it. Spring lengths are measured from shackles & number of leaves. He took it into Fairbanks for more inspections & repairs. The parts are pretty common to many trailers.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #29
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
I had a loose spring break on me last year. I was able to drive it with no problems. But the springs are not hard to obtain. You can get them at your local trailer supply. My model was a 285 RLD Montana mountaineer. Replacing one leaf spring isn’t a very good idea. You’ll find that your rig is going to raise up because overtime the other leaf springs lose their stiffness.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote