Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
This weather is beginning to wear me down

We travel a lot! For the last 3 years, we've been "working from camper" as we've both had opportunity to "work from home." My wife has always been officially a "home office" with her company. My company gave us the opportunity to work from home 3 days a week (this was before covid). When covid hit, they pushed us all home permanently. This worked out great for us as now we could plan much longer trips and much farther distances. So, for the next 2 years life was wonderful! Work and home had a magnificent "balance."

A little over a year ago, I retired. We were still basically "on the road" but do occasionally return home and then take off again. My son lives in our house, which we actually deed over to him, so there is always someone at home. He also is 100% work from home. We were all 3 working with computer code development for our respective companies.

Well, I retired January 2022 and for the next several months we were "GONE!" It was great.

Then we returned "home" the week after Thanksgiving (2022) and had several things that needed to get done. I had several things I wanted fixed or replaced on the Montana (line bearings packed, a new awning, and turned out I had a bent axle and got a new tire also).

Meanwhile, since the end of November, we've been "grounded". Mostly because my wife had a planned surgery for late February which would require several weeks of recovery. So, we decided to stay "home" this winter.

I kept myself busy. I build a new section of kitchen cabinets in the kitchen. We picked up 3 new baby chickens (that WILL travel with us once we get moving again), the dogs had scheduled vet visits, and I'm picking up and taking my grandson to school every day (every other week). He's 50/50 (week on, week off) with his mother and the school district is in her address.

In addition I also made some changes in the camper, put in a new floor in the slide out, laid new laminate flooring in 3 rooms in the house (including the kitchen).

So, as you can see, I've maximized my time at "home" during this little "off road" time. But now, I've got everything I wanted to do done and the weather turned into YUCK again outside. There are tree branches that need to be picked up and I'd love to go through all the junk in the loft of the garage and get rid of all that stuff, but it's just horrible nasty cold wet weather outside.

I'm bord! And this weather is beating me down now. It's just too yucky to go outside!

(on a good point though, we are taking the camper out for a week-end at an Indiana State Park on March 31.)

Meanwhile ... I'm bord!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:48 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
When I first retired from spinning wrenches about 6 years ago, I had a hard time getting out of the mindset that you HAVE to do something each and every day to give yourself worth ... as the years went by ... I've found you can sit it out for 2-3 days here and there and do absolutely nothing. Take naps, sit in front of the TV, just look out the window and watch the day pass by ... but don't let yourself flab out because the older you get, the harder it is to get back in shape. Heck all I really have to do is sit in Wally World parking lot for about 1/2 hour and life doesn't seem so boring this time of year after all.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:44 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Here in western Virginia it’s been an extremely unusual winter. It got down to 2 degrees one morning and even then is usual. In a normal winter 10 to 15 degrees for our low is the norm. We have had no snow. A normal day this winter is 60 degrees. What is going on. I’m going to enjoy it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This has been our worst year in Tucson by far. Way too much cold and rainy weather. On the other hand, the ski run up on the mountain hadn't been open for two years and was open this winter for a couple of months.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:44 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This has been a strange weather year for most of the country. My friend in Wyoming says it’s been cold out here. Our daffodils and redbud trees are blooming. That’s at least a month too early. Think about the poor people in Northern California. I can’t even imagine snow up to the roof top.
Lynwood
Old 03-18-2023, 11:58 AM   #6
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Still snowing here.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:05 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Still snowing here.
Where?
Lynwood
Old 03-19-2023, 08:53 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Still snowing here.
If you are home, your location is appropriate!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:13 PM   #9
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
That’s life do some things on the inside of the montana
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:01 PM   #10
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
When I first retired from spinning wrenches about 6 years ago, I had a hard time getting out of the mindset that you HAVE to do something each and every day to give yourself worth ... as the years went by ... I've found you can sit it out for 2-3 days here and there and do absolutely nothing. Take naps, sit in front of the TV, just look out the window and watch the day pass by
My retirement routine…

Eat, sleep, poop, repeat.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:35 PM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel!

The weather has warmed up a bit. Day time temps are now in the 50's. But, it's been miserable wet for days and days. It's been days of constant overcast skies, no sunshine, and a rainy mist always in the air. Occasionally, it will begin actually sprinkling, then turn back into a mist. This has been going on for days now.

But, 2 days ago we had a break. It got sunny. I had opportunity to help my neighbor (Widowed woman with a 10 year old daughter) un-winterize her Coleman travel trailer. She was elated for the help, I was elated to do something! I got her all fixed up. Actually, I talked her through the process and she did the "work". It's the only way for someone to learn ... do it themselves you know. She purchased the Coleman late last Fall, so everything is still new to her.

Meanwhile, yesterday was a miserable day again. I wanted to un-winterize my own Montana, but did not. BUT!!!!! I did it today! Yahoo! Every thing went very well. No issues at all. I even got the ice maker purged with no RV antifreeze taste. I have a water meter on my Montana, and I only flushed 47 gallons of water through the system! yea ... "only?"

So, I also switched my garden hoses. For Christmas, my wife got me two brand new white hoses. I switched them on my hose reel and broke them in to flush the RV antifreeze.

A few days ago, my wife and I made a gigantic grocery list of everything we need to put back into the camper that was removed for Winter. Absolutely everything with water in it, and absolutely every stitch of food or anything to prepare food with. So, I started working off that list and put some of those things back too. Things like sugar, salt, flour, cooking oil, bug spray, dishwashing liquid .... you know, all those types of things that are "staples" that can be stored long term, opposed to perishable food. That will come later.

So, I had quite a day! It was successful, and according to my Samsung watch, I walked a total of 11,049 steps back and forth between the camper and the house today! Great exercise, I feel actually regenerated again!

Our first camp of the season is March 31.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:47 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I can’t believe our weather, 81 today. I got my geriatric, Can Am, motorcycle out today. What’s going on? Don’t know but I’ll enjoy it.
Lynwood