Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
Mission Blowout

We have a 2007 3475RL with about 3,000 miles total. Today, 400 miles into a two month trip through California, we stopped at Camping World in Bakersfield, turned off engine and heard a loud bang. It was the curb side rear tire (Mission ST235/80R16 LR-E); it had an inside sidewall blowout. We were extremely lucky it did happen while coming down the mountain on Hwy 99 south of town. AAA changed it and we are now parked at a Costco until they open in the morning. Costco has Michelin and Goodyear LT 235/85R16's for about $200 and $150 each out the door.

I'm open to suggestions? Does anyone have the Mission/Tireco customer service/warranty phone number? Can't find it on the forum. Thanks for any help.

azranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Look on the home page under OEM components. There is a phone number and a web site URL there. Sorry for your troubles.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Azranger,

Sorry to hear of your tire problem and I'd be there to help but I just happen to be down in LA to have a hip replaced! If you need a place to spend a night or so let me know and we'll arrange to have you park in our driveway for a day or so. Plenty of room. Costco is as good a place to get tires. I think they have actually hired some tire folks. I've not actually bought any tires from them but did inquire and got reasonable answers. Prices seemed good.

Next time we'll actually be there so can give more assistance if needed.

Good luck.

HamRad (Dennis and Mary Kay Hill)
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Iam just east of you in Hesperia,Ca.
If you could make it over,I'll give you 5 mission tires with about 1000 miles on them.
Take a look at a map and think about it. I'll PM my Phone number to you. Call anytime,no problem.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
Thanks for the offers and notes of sympathy/concern. Montana customer service referred me to Tireco the morning after the failure occurred. Called them and was told pretty much what others have gotten when making a claim. I will give a few more details.

They said that after they inspected the tire, if the failure was not due to a road hazard that they would reimburse up to 100% for replacement with the same size and load rated tire or up to 80% for any upgraded tire. They would pay to have it picked up where I have it replaced but that they have had problems with some tire retailers holding the tires until they were picked up. The CS rep, Terri, said that America/Discount Tire had been good about holding on to them and there was one down the road (Rosedale Hwy) from us so that is where we went.

The manager, Derek, was very helpful and after inspecting the tires said that they all were showing signs of separation, including the spare, so he didn't see any reason why Tireco would not honor the warranty on the bunch. He recommended the Greenball Transmasters (same size and load rating) so I decided to have all 5 replaced and arranged with Tireco to have them pickup up. The total was $762.50 including the road hazard warranty ($15 ea).

I have had nothing but good experience from Discount Tire in AZ (30 years plus) so I felt good about the decision. I will update the forum on how the warranty claim is handled.

azranger
Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have always had good luck with Discount.

Be careful and watch them when they jack it up. They will raise both sides at the same time and will most likely put the jacks on the axle. Make darn sure that they position the jacks as close as they can to the wheels, and not in the center of the axle.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
h2oUdoN

M.O.C. #8319
While setup up in the El Capitan State park I noticed my right rear tire was in bad shape. The steel was showing on the outside but only on part of the tire. It was like the tire was out of round. We were 4000 miles into our trip, 7000 total miles on the tires (including the 1000 transport miles).

Anyway after reading what was posted here I emailed Tireco at 7:00am, gave them all the info on all 5 tires. Had AAA change tire to spare. At 10:15am I got a call from Tireco. They asked if I had any problems with the other tires. I said no. They UPS'ed me a new tire that day and I had it at the next campground at 3pm next day.

America Tire(Discount Tire) changed it for me. It was a different name but the same tread o the tire. I put it as the spare. If the others are going to go I wanted them to show the wear now. Needless to say I check them every stop and make sure tire pressure is right.

After this trip I will probably buy new Michelin' before we head out next spring. We will be at parked Retama Village in Mission TX for the winter.

Pearre
h2oUdoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Pearre,

I didn't want to assume what tires came with your 2008 3400 so could you tell me what brand came on your unit. When (month and year) did you purchase your 08 3400? Tks. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
I did watch as they jacked the trailer up at America Tire in Bakersfield. Just as you said, they put floor jacks on both axles and did place them just inside the U bolts. I think is was done properly.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Iam sorry,I forgot to mention during our conversation the other day about "lug centric" balancing. Was that done?
When I had my new tires installed by America's tires I had to request it. Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
h2oUdoN

M.O.C. #8319
Dennis,

Purchased our 3400 in May 08.... MFG date Oct'07.

Pearre
h2oUdoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
azranger
Established Member

M.O.C. #7203
As a follow-up, I finally (after 3 months) got a check from Tireco for the cost of replacing 3 of the 5 tires that I returned to them. The Americas Tire manager where I had them replaced said that all 5 were showing signs of separation so I was hoping to get reimbursed for all of them. I am grateful for having about half the cost (including mounting) covered so I won't push the issue any longer.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
In the tire discussion I haven't seen anyone say that they refer to the date code on tires when purchasing new tires. Just because a tire is new on the shelf it doesn't mean that it is a new tire. As we all know, RV tires give us 4-5 years service at best. When I purchase a new tire I put the salesman on alert that I want a tire manufactured within the last 6 months. Each tire has a date code balloon on the sidewall, quite often on the inside but not always. The balloon is a DOT code. For example (DOT 1108) would be November 2008. I never knew this code was on the tires until I read the info on another RV thread.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had one OEM Mission tire go bad before we left for AZ this past year and another go bad on the trip to AZ. Tread Separation. Had about 8 to 10,000 miles on them. Tireco sent me 5 new Freestar replacements and picked up the old Missions free of charge here in AZ. We had to pay for the dismounting of the old tires and mounting the new ones. We had them balanced and had new stems (High Pressure) installed since the tire dealer told me the OEM stems were the wrong type. Don't have any miles on the new tires yet but will in April when we head back to WA. If we have any more problems I'll go to Michelin's from Costco. Put them on my TV (F250) and am quite happy with them.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
alandaudrey,
Yes, the date DOT code is very inportant. When I provided the DOT code to Tireco on our 5 OEM Mission Tires they immediately decided to send us 5 new replacement tires. I've listed those DOT numbers here on MOC previously but can't find them right now. I suspect that lot had more problems than others but also told them how old the tires were to satisfy their 4 year warranty.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I found the DOT number on all five of our defective Mission tires:

DOT # = (Ours) DOT4YB3 CQ1C 0306

I intepret that as made in March of 2006. Our Montana was manufactured in April and purchased in May of 2006.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
Just so I can confuse the issue. It had been my understanding the DOT code referred,(post Y2K) to the week, and year. Therefore, 0306 would be 3rd week of 2006.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Bob and Carolyn,

Could easily be the 3rd week of 2006 rather than the 3rd month of 2006. I don't know. I was just picking up on an earlier post. May not have been appropriate. Whichever it is, Tireco seemed to think the DOT information I provided off the tires along with my complaint of tread separation on two of the tires was enough to merit free replacement of all 5 tires.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #19
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
Good deal Dean. Glad you had the info for free replacement of all 5. I am just going to hold my breath with the Marathons under our new Montana and get enough miles away from being new that DW won't cut me off at the knees for buying new tires.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Goin'

You are correct, the first two digets represent "weeks".
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote